Thread: Engine mods for 2017+ S5

Post Engine mods for 2017+ S5

Morning Brains Trust

I'm back in the market for a S5 Sportback and wondering what engine upgrades are out there for the B9 (2017-2019) or B9.5 (2019+)**.

** Not sure if the updated B9 is ACTUALLY a B9.5 but I called it out in case they have different engines.

I've read on here that chipping the RS5 is arguably low value but historically the S5 engine was similar to the RS5 and I'm keen to save some pennies on getting an RS5 and going the S5 route.

On that last point, if anyone knows about RS5 upgrades for the S5 B9 then I'd love to know more on this too!

Cheers!
    Previous:
    S5 MY10 6MT
    |2012 facelift | OEM RS5 steering wheel | APR Stage III S.C. | APR Carbonio CF intake | APR RSC cat back exhaust | OEM RS5 Brembo brakes | Ohlins suspension NB: purchased with mods.

Usual mobs should be able to do RS5 and S5.. ABT, APR, underground, Evolve, Unitronic

Image below of apr changes..seems a good boost across the range..

29t_ea839_b9_s0_vs_s1_e85_c.jpg

Thanks jnrdavo - get ready for question slam!

Is there more than an ECU upgrade out there?

If there is, anything that I should stay away from if I see it already on a car on Carsales?

Have you seen any build threads or companies that can help upgrade an S5 with RS5 gear? eg Front grill, some interior stuff.

Lastly, how did you go selling the Monster last year?
    Previous:
    S5 MY10 6MT
    |2012 facelift | OEM RS5 steering wheel | APR Stage III S.C. | APR Carbonio CF intake | APR RSC cat back exhaust | OEM RS5 Brembo brakes | Ohlins suspension NB: purchased with mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Demiliam View Post

If there is, anything that I should stay away from if I see it already on a car on Carsales?

Have you seen any build threads or companies that can help upgrade an S5 with RS5 gear? eg Front grill, some interior stuff.

Based upon my experience with a B9S4 I'd simply go APR Stage 1.
    I am certain that statement will smoke out a range of alternatives!
    I have used APR extensively for two decades and have never met short changed.
    Of all the APR tune stages I have had experience of the APR Stage 1 on the B9S4 is far and away the best.
    All aspects of the drivetrain continue to work seamlessly and appear synergistic and effortless.
    In terms of performance I cannot fathom out why one would need more and as a former military pilot I guess I'm a bit more acquainted with certain aspects of speed than others.
    If you are a metrics lemming it achieves a 3.5 sec 0-100 - as Rolls Royce would say - "more than adequate Sir!".
    NorthSide thing who conducted the installation were pretty blown away with the result - see their FaRcebook page for the 'sleeper'.
    As with all tuning expenditure vs performance is certainly never a straight line relationship.
    One could spend a shed load more cash and achieve only a little more and the APR Stage 1 software-only tune appears rock solid and risk-free.
    Of course you can then change the intercooler, fuel pump and on it goes....been there, done that and I have no intention of heading down that black hole ever again - the law of (significantly) diminishing returns.
    Am I biased? - yes - I am biased towards reliable, repeatable, low-risk performance tuning - for me APR ticks that box and I have no need to go elsewhere.

Kind regards and safe motoring

Dingah
    Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2017 RSQ3 Performance Sold
    2018 S4
    Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line + APR

At ém Dingah. You'd better watch out or people might start calling you sensible. On the other note, been in the car and it's all that Dingah says. You could do worse but unlikely to do better.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by Demiliam View Post

Monster is staying with me. I was looking for RS6, but ended up buying a bit of a run down S3 8P (imola yellow) as a project/track car... I've also spend a few $$$ on monster recently, small oil leak and some other work, so it's back to perfect again. I think it's a long term keeper. That sound with the akrapovic exhaust and supercharger is a bit addictive!

I would agree with Dingah, state 1 tune, CAI and exhaust is all I would recommend is needed on these car. Suspension if you want to lower it a bit and/or take it on track.. Brakes are also a good upgrade, but not sure what is standard on the car.

Above that, as Dingah says, you are paying lots more dollars for little increases in power..

Re front Grill. I've yet to do mine. Original ones are expensive and it's hard to find the right after market one that fits perfectly. Interior stuff should be on ebay etc. What else would you do to the interior?

Thank you gents.

Dingah: If you have an S4 cracking along 3.5s for 0-100 from an ECU flash then, yeh, that is PLENTY for me!

jnrdavo: Good news about Monster then. I don't have any clear upgrade ideas except an ECU flash and front grill swap (truly dislike the grill on the B9 S5) - possibly brake and rotor upgrade when whatever I get needs replacing. I'll admit that I'm mostly fishing to see what upgrades are out there for B9 S5s, then choose some to bring an S5 closer to an RS5 spec without forking out the cash for an RS5.
    Previous:
    S5 MY10 6MT

I think a stage 1 will make a s5 faster than a rs5...

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Interrreesting. Well, let's see what Carsales and Dealers have to say.

Looks like second hand market is about 10% higher than the highest Redbook averages and I hear Audi is moving to fixed pricing for EV models soon which may bleed into ICE models making dealer prices inflexible. What to do.
    Previous:
    S5 MY10 6MT