Thread: Saying goodbye..... :-(

Default Saying goodbye..... :-(

So...I had a right hand corner bingle (my fault). Car was still drivable, no engine damage or sensor issues (according to VCDS)
    I took it in for repair under insurance and Suncorp wrote it off
    I'm so floored! I understand the reason why, due to covid and prices of replacement items...... it's just heart wrenching after owning a car that was just perfect for me in my books.
    Now I'm left with a $13,000 pay out and only car's in that price range (that aren't outta state) are Bommodores!
    Gutted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe take to a repaired and ask how much to fix directly...

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Agreed, There just isn't enough damage to move from that to a vanilla car. Worth asking if you take the money, what the buy back would be. Looks to me like the car in parts would bring the payout figure to a wrecker. Unfortunately the possibility of it being designated a write-off is there to worry about and a big chunk of repair will be labour.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

I asked that at the time.....but, the repair shop stated that after disassembled the vehicle to quote for damage they were unwilling to reassemble it on the grounds that it it wasn't road worthy. And Suncorp weren't willing to compensate them to resemble it. Therefore, they wouldn't allow me to take if from the premises. I asked how much it would cost for them to do it, and they flat out stated they wouldn't. By the time I got my **** together I received a call from Suncorp wanting bank details for the payout. I stated that I wasn't sure I was ready to proceed and was told it had already been removed from the repair shop and was on it's way to phuknoseville. They wouldn't tell me where it was being taken, or they didn't know.
    I wasn't even able to remove some personal items from the car. I am severely pissed!!

Start the process. Send the registered mail to ask for further details. Send them an email and call them. Write down all you correspondence.. do the same with the repair shop and ask them for copies of their correspondence.

Call insurer and ask them you'd like to open up a complaint case (get the case number) and you'll probably get some better responses by then...

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

I'm not a solicitor so this is just a view from the sidelines. Hard to believe that someone can take your property without permission. I expect they rely on you not being willing to test the case. The repair shop seems a bit odd refusing to reassemble the car if you paid for it. As it is your property, you could have fronted up with a tilt tray and taken it home, nothing wrong with that. Sort of seems like a fishy smell in the air somewhere. jnrdavos comments are spot on. Also, I wonder if you have a case to report it stolen. Anyway, good luck. Any of us could be in your shoes.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Thanks for the reply guys.......I've thought a lot about all that's been said. Initially was thinking about just hiring some to go collect it......but I've no idea where it is. Worst part of all though, and this is where it's all come unstuck.....I got no car.
    2 kids and a missus with who can't drive. We're up ****s creek as far as transport, we have no family in the this town, and not natives here no one to even really help out. I rented a car for awhile, but costs are getting outta control.
    I've really just had to swallow what I've been dished.....trust me though, will be running it past a 'friend of a friend' who's a solicitor. Get their thoughts. Considering the car was not under any finance, I'd say what they did was not legal.
    Ultimately though, large company vs.. me? Don't like my chances.

Quote Originally Posted by peimad View Post
    Ultimately though, large company vs.. me? Don't like my chances.
    I really believe that is what they rely on. There was talk some time ago about Audi just confiscating your car in the B5 A4 airbag saga. Really feel for you with the family situation to boot. Unfortunately the longer it is left the less chance of ever seeing it again.

That sucks big time. Surprised you donít even get to have a discussion about future of car.

I would ring AFCA Australian Financial Complaints Authority & run it past them about the way it was handled and see if thereís anything they can do it assist.

A letter from a friend of friend lawyer will do little in my opinion and can get very expensive & time consuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely at the end of the day it is up to you if you wish to proceed or not with the claim. If you don't wish to proceed with the claim the car is still yours to do with as you want. Obviously if you do proceed I still would of thought there would been some form of meaningful dialog take place outlining options etc. not just pay you out. Did you get the option of buying it back as a repairable write off?

As mentioned previously I would ring AFCA Australian Financial Complaints Authority and see what they say. To me it looks a little like the insurer and repairer have been a little heavy handed.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro