Thread: Spare Key for Q3 MY18

Default Spare Key for Q3 MY18

Bought 2nd Hand and come with only one key. I didn't think it would be a big deal (it is). This is the push to start engine with the proximity key.

I'm in CBR. Rang up local Audi and they say they need to order from Germany (how incredibly inefficient) and it will cost $1025.00 - how would I like to pay for it? I wouldn't I said and terminated the conversation.

Rang a local Car Key guy, he reckons he has done the Q3 8U series before (mine's the last year of the 8U). He says he can do it for $360, expensive, but not stupidly so like Mr Audi. So he comes round and says I didn't tell him it was a proximity key (he's the expert) and he would need a different blank etc. So a few weeks later he gets back and comes around. He tells me his devices cannot read the info from the car, so the last of the 8U series has done something else to the security. He says he can program the start and the lock, but just not with the proximity sensor. I say OK, I just want a spare in case the Sh$%^& hits the fan. He then advises he cannot do that, and leaves.

I ring up a couple of other bigger 'car expert' locksmiths who want nothing to do with it and just say, go to the dealer.

So is that it? Does anyone know of someone either in Canberra Prefer #1, Sydney Prefer #3, or Newcastle Prefer #2 that can create/clone a new key for my MY18 Q3?

While no knowledge of the later cars, this is the way it is going. Just too complicated. Firstly, have a chat with the spares guy at a VW dealership. Same car?? so maybe they can provide some additional advice.

The $1000 from Audi may prove to be cheap if you need to run around for weeks / months to get a key. Can't work out why the locksmith didn't do your non proximity key. Did he say?

Surprised you haven't found a locksmith in Canberra but I haven't had the need so can't help there.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    While no knowledge of the later cars, this is the way it is going. Just too complicated. Firstly, have a chat with the spares guy at a VW dealership. Same car?? so maybe they can provide some additional advice.
    I'll give the VW dealerships a try, but not hopeful.

The $1000 from Audi may prove to be cheap if you need to run around for weeks / months to get a key. Can't work out why the locksmith didn't do your non proximity key. Did he say?
    No, just said it wasn't going to happen.

Surprised you haven't found a locksmith in Canberra but I haven't had the need so can't help there.
    I've also rang a few places n Sydney and Newcastle with no takers. So it looks like the 'latest' kit that they spruke, is indeed NOT the latest kit.

You may well be right, the $1k key might just be the cheapest way to go, it just seems so disgustingly gouging.