Thread: What battery charger for self diagnostics??

Default What battery charger for self diagnostics??

Just wondering what battery charger everyone is going with while running OBD diagnostics.
    Not sure about VCDS or anything but when running ODIS, itís required to run a battery charger or you will have issues with specific procedures.
    Even on start up when it dose its scan, I always get a notification that my charger is inadequate.
    I know the actual workshop charger for Audi is something like 500amp which is completely overboard for home application, but some procedures in ODIS can run at around 20-30amps sometimes.
    Is it just a matter of getting a 50amp charger and call it a day, or am I doing to need some kind of special feature in it to keep the system happy ??

Was looking at the Projecta IC5000 that has a 50amp power supply mode that runs a continuous supply.

I don't get any warnings at all when running VCDS, so not sure of what the difference is.

I can reset errors, do basic tests and logging, all whilst just running on battery.

Depending on the procedure your doing but there are some that can draw a **** tin of current at long periods of time.
    I cant remember what procedure I was doing but I did run into a problem where I couldnít proceed because it needed a charger on the car to do it.

I suppose it depends on how often you are going to be doing these sorts of procedures.

A 50 amp charger is a mother of a charger and would certainly be overkill for general home car charging use - if you want the headroom/flexibility to do these sorts of ODIS procedures though it might be what you need.

For what I was told by one of the technicians at projecta, he said for Worksop diagnostics you need a charger that has a power supply mode. He said he has sold heeps of IC5000 units to dealers because of this feature.
    They only have one model though that has this feature and its a 50amp unit.

Ya can always get the actual VAS5903 unit lol

300amp unit lol

Quote Originally Posted by Muckman View Post
    Ya can always get the actual VAS5903 unit lol
    Genuine VAS items do appear on eBay (particularly .de and .uk) semi regularly - could be worth keeping your eye out for the real deal at a more reasonable price. They tend to be quality items that are built to last.

Have seen used VAS tools now and then but a used battery charger with no warranty is risky

50amp is huge and wouldnít be cheap.

I use a 10amp CTEK if I need to run a lot of test with VCDS.

A set of jumper leads and another battery or car running will also get you by if you need a decent 12v source in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk