Poll: Which forum software to use?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: ozAudi migration - POLL

Default ozAudi migration - POLL

Ok, so we are still running on vbulletin 4, and it's getting very old and is not updated anymore.

So I've been looking to upgrade/migrate us on to something new for 18 months or so (ok, so I look to do it, then chicken out!).

I've already migrated a few of the ozFamily of sites on to vbulletin 5 (connect) a while ago. If you are interested, they are www.ozBmw.com and www.ozVag.com.

Personally, I'm not overaly impressed with that migration, but maybe that is use me.

So, there are other options. Leading mine at the moment is Invision Community Forums. They seem to have a good market share, and I personally like the ozRenaultSport forum that I recently joined for my daughters new car (Forums - OZ Renault Sport)

So, Poll is up. What do you think? Reach out to me, post on here, let me know your thoughts.

I'd like ozAudi to get in to the 21st century, make it easier/better on mobile technology etc (responsive pages), and a decent link to facebook and other social sites.

I am but a humble user so in the end the drivers get to choose. I voted other in the sense that I'll use what ever is put up. As a non social media user, I have no interest in links to FB and the like and as long as the "commercial" media don't get access to my details I'm good. If they do, I'm gone. The invision link is eye catching but in the end the techs have to deal with it so anything that is solid / robust and low maintenance must be good for them.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : modified -- B5 Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- 2007 VW Touareg TDI 3.0 with air suspension and lockers-- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

The intention is to 'improve' the user experience, even for us oldies

It's not a commercial option (I'm not looking to sell), but it will cost me personally commercially, as I'll have to pay for the new software. The main point is being able to make if 'more' friendly, and with the old system undoubtedly going to have it's support stopped, I have to look to something knew so that we don't get hacked.

PLUS, I think that a vast majority of people now use the mobile platforms to view and add content, so we need to cater for that (I think it's close to 80% are using mobile tech now on forums)..

I suspect most users won't be too fussed about what platform this is on so long as it "can do the same stuff". So I think it's more about how much easier it can make your life. Had a quick look at the Renault forum and other than different colours, and buttons at different locations, looks like a forum all the same to me. I defer to your judgement and really, thanks for keeping this site running for us.

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6 (Unreg)

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro

As long as I can still access via Tapatalk & donít require any social accounts to use the forum Iíll be happy.

No Social user and still prefer actual forums.

Call me old school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure we'll even need tapatalk if it's a Web responsive site. However, I'll make sure before anything happens.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Might not be applicable any more.
    But, jumped back onto sau(skylines Australia) last night, and this forum as I realised how much I missed them compared to using fb.
    Sau is powered by invision, and works well on a mobile platform.
    If you've got a minute, check them out and see what you think.
    Sau.com.au

Thanks Luke.

I migrated one of our forums (ozVag) to Invision to see what it was like. Was a bit of fun for the migrate, but got there in the end. Only trouble with it is the cost compared to others.

I then migrated ozSkoda, ozBMW and ozVolks to vbulletin5 (from vb4)... Again, that was a bit of a pain for some of them (ozvolks especially) as they were coming from older versions of the software (ozvolks has been up for many years). But, they are up now and working, and on a more modern version.

Once I'm happy with them and all the 'bugs/migration issues' have been fixed, I'll probably look to migrate ozAudi across as well. It's the cheapest option, or another way to look at it, is the best bang-for-buck that I can find

Sounds like you're on top of it.
    I'm obviously only looking at it from a user stand point, not a host.
    Absolutely cost has to be factored in.
    Either way, I'm sure it will end up being a headache but worth it in the end.

Good luck!