Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Random chat thread

The way I see it, As long as it meets the legal decibel noise level, there should be no issue being that the rear mufflers are not a part of the emission system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    This is from NSW, but from 2013.. (not sure if it has changed).

Light vehicle modifications (nsw.gov.au)

Modification to engines and/or exhausts that impacts* the emissions levels applicable to
    those ADRs specified for the vehicle.
    * ’impacts’ means an increase in emissions levels specified in the ADRs.
    Examples requiring certification:
    • Fitting non-original valve train components.
    • Fitting non-original or non equivalent carburettors or fuel injection equipment.
    • Removal of bypass or emission control equipment including exhaust gas
    recirculation (EGR), positive crankcase ventilation (PCV), catalytic convertors,
    engine management sensors.
    • Fitting non-original or non-equivalent air intake manifolds.
    • Replacing original engine control unit.
    Note: Fitting pressure relief valves or other devices that vent directly to atmosphere is
    not allowed.
    Examples not requiring certification:
    • Alternative exhaust systems that retain the original or equivalent emission control
    equipment eg headers, mufflers, complete exhaust systems.
    • Alternative engine intake and filtration systems that retain the original emission
    control equipment eg replacement filter elements/assemblies, intercoolers, cold air
    intakes, snorkels.
    • Oil separation systems where no part of the PVC system vents to atmosphere.
    Note: If non-original components such as camshafts, carburettors or engine control
    modules (ECM) are fitted in an ADR emissions complying vehicle, it must be
    demonstrated that emission levels are retained.
    Tip: To confirm vehicle emissions are within acceptable standards certifiers may require
    TfNSW emissions testing. These are conducted free of charge at TfNSW Heavy Vehicle
    Inspection Station (HVIS) Botany or Penrith – contact the TfNSW HVIS on 1300 364
    847 to make a booking. Alternatively, a 4 or 5 gas analyser test may be conducted at a
    vehicle repairer.

Interesting conversation about it here...

Muffler Delete in NSW Legal or not? - On the road (whirlpool.net.au)

Interesting, thanks for sharing. While we're ironing out legalities, the other night I pulled up to an RBT in the RS4 and the cop commented how my suspension set up is illegal (lowered on H&R springs with 10mm spacers). His reasoning was that there is no gap between the wheel and guard (wheels are tucked well within guards) and said he was giving me a warning... when I asked him for any additional reasoning he said "... mate I was a mechanic for 10 years.." so basically don't question it. I decided not to argue and just went on my way, he said if I see you around again I'll defect you.

Based on all my reading you can have the suspension lowered by up to 5cm without an engineers certificate (the H&Rs are 2.5 drop from stock) as long as the car is 10cm from the ground at it's lowest point.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/default...ide-height.pdf (page 10)

https://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/default...ember-2003.pdf (page 2)

What's your interpretation guys?

I don't know the real rules compared to the cops rules. I think the cops just say if it's lowered, it's illegal, especially if you don't have an engineering certificate.

However, I think 'some cops' do it to piss off people/power play, some do it because they know the law and they uphold it, and some just give a warning..

I'd love a current/old cop to come on and tell it from their perspective.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

I had a cop trying to tell me that my factory strut bar was an illegal mod lol

Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    I don't know the real rules compared to the cops rules. I think the cops just say if it's lowered, it's illegal, especially if you don't have an engineering certificate.

However, I think 'some cops' do it to piss off people/power play, some do it because they know the law and they uphold it, and some just give a warning..

I'd love a current/old cop to come on and tell it from their perspective.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
    This

It's just intimidation to get you saying or doing something stupid so they can actually try and fine you etc. It's also just a power thing so they can issue a defect notice.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RS-Rated View Post
    Interesting, thanks for sharing. While we're ironing out legalities, the other night I pulled up to an RBT in the RS4 and the cop commented how my suspension set up is illegal (lowered on H&R springs with 10mm spacers). His reasoning was that there is no gap between the wheel and guard (wheels are tucked well within guards) and said he was giving me a warning... when I asked him for any additional reasoning he said "... mate I was a mechanic for 10 years.." so basically don't question it. I decided not to argue and just went on my way, he said if I see you around again I'll defect you.
    Power play for sure. I had a friend ages ago who started as a trainee engineer and decided to quit to join the police force. After he graduated he dropped in at the factory to say hello and his personality had changed. He sounded cocky for no good reason. We were talking about cars and he said they (police) can defect so many things but half the time they'd just ignore them, and he mentioned he could defect my 100 (at the time) for the sunroof. I said it's ex-factory and he said he still can. when I asked him to elaborate he wouldn't. For them it's nothing to write the ticket and then it becomes your burden to fight the matter in court. Even if they lose in court, it's just taxpayers money so no personal cost to them (the cop who wrote the ticket and police force as a whole who runs with the case). The only time they risk backlash is if you're a public figure and then there's public interest.

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6 (Unreg)

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro

Quote Originally Posted by broke90 View Post
    My daughter has a 2015 Yaris and I have a 1995 Hilux. So easy to pull apart and work on compared with EVERY Audi I've owned. And yet here I am still with a C5 A6 and still looking for a C5 S6.
    There was a time when people with a particular urge paid to get whipped, now we do it for free :)
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : modified -- B5 Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- 2007 VW Touareg TDI 3.0 with air suspension and lockers-- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by Muckman View Post
    I dont believe a sound level check is a part of the inspection, but if they see that there is no back mufflers, would this result in a instant fail? ...............

In the ACT they do an emissions check on change of Rego plus I got a sound level check on both RS cars but not on the Touareg. NSW does an annual safety check but unsure how much is included in that. I'm not aware that ADR's get down to specifying how many mufflers you need but they will specify sound and emission outcomes so meeting those goes a long way.........

Lets face it, car enthusiasts are at the tail end of the golden period of motoring so best look at how to make the best of what we can do while we can.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : modified -- B5 Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- 2007 VW Touareg TDI 3.0 with air suspension and lockers-- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

I thought a decibel level check was only done if you get defected?
    Not ones have I ever been defected or failed a noise level.

Default Random chat thread

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Chris Bowen idea of introducing a new emissions standards?
    Is this going to be a tax on the poor who can’t afford a 70K battery car?
    What’s going to happen to existing vehicles ?
    Is there a threat of us getting a carbon tax ?
    To be honest, It doesn’t matter really what ya do to Australia’s emissions standards being that personal vehicles in this country make no impact on world emissions.
    Face it, Australia is already doing very well as a developed country only emitting 1.6% in total, so why this sudden urge to cut emissions even further?
    I just don’t see the logic other than just finding another reason to tax the public.
    And I just don’t see why the media and government are even concentrating on privately owned vehicles unless you have a solution for the industrial sector.
    If ya cant come up with a solution to the main contributors such as jets, trains, ships, trucks, than your just pissing in the wind thinking personal cars is the solution.

Like if battery cars are such a “great idea” and the “future” than why does the government need to splash millions of cash incentives to make it happen?
    Iv always seen tax exemptions and incentives just another way too push **** up a hill.
    You cant stop progress. If something is such a great idea, you wouldn’t need an incentive to do it.
    And the whole argument that they will get cheeper later on ones everyone starts to buy them is absolutely false. They are expensive because they are made out of rare earth materials period lol. There are plenty of cars that are made in short numbers that are way more affordable than a Tesla.
    Its like saying cars made out of gold will get cheeper ones everyone starts buying them lol it just does not work like that.
    Im just not buying the whole idea of all this and I think its backwards thinking when all you need to do is change the fuel to a synthetic and every engine on this planet will be carbon neutral and will have the ability to control the worlds emissions globally.

Last edited by Muckman; August 22nd, 2022 at 08:34 PM.