Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Random chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    Hey Shant, I'm a liverpool supporter too (I lived in England for quite a few years, and supported Derby, but they are almost non-existent now, so have supported Liverpool for about 10 years).

I've also just built a new pc, but have been doing it for years. Last one lasted for 5 years or so (?), but didn't have TPM, so wouldn't take windows 11, and I like to be bleeding edge with software (I have a microsoft partner membership, so get the latest etc).

Not sure who I really go for in F1... I want Ricciardo to win, but I suppose I go for red bull in the end... Will be interesting if/when Porsche/Audi/VW go in, to see what actually happens (ie, will they just supply engines to existing teams, or start a new one).
    Hey Stu, glad to see another red on here We're having a cracker season so far! FA cup should be ours in a couple of weeks.

Very nice mate, what specs did you go for? I've always had high powered laptops and gamed on consoles but thought I would change things up. A few of my good friends are in the space and do game occasionally. Hoping this rig lasts me 5+ years

My build list:
    Intel® Core™ i5-12600K Processor
    Corsair H150i
    MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4
    Corsair 32GB RAM (3200MHz) DDR4
    Samsung 2TB 980 PRO M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD
    Corsair 850W RM850 80+Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
    Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3080 Ti Vision OC 12G Graphics Card

I've been a Hamilton supporter for years (pre-Mercedes) but must admit it's good to see the teams alot closer this year and some actual racing rather than Mercedes 1-2 dominating...

I really do have a soft spot for Ricciardo and want to see him win some more races. I hope that Porsche/Audi/VW actually enter the sport and it's not just a build up of speculation that eventuates to nothing!!! (as it has been for years)... would really love to see their own team! I read that Porsche may partner with Redbull to supply them engines given Redbull is planning to use their own engines by 2025, so a potential option for them. We shall see anyway.

Nice one, good rig and nice components...

I went a bit bigger on the PC (as I could justify as a work expense!)

Corsair Obsidian Series 500D Premium Mid-Tower ATX Case
    Corsair 750W RMX 80+ Gold Fully Modular 135mm Fan ATX PSU
    Intel Z690 AORUS MB w Direct 19+1+2
    Intel Core i9-12900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.2 GHz
    ASUS ROG Ryujin II 360 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
    NVIDIA , GeForce RT 3080 Ti, 12GB GDDR6X 384-bit memory interface, WINDFORCE 3X Cooling System with alternate spinning fans
    Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 UDIMM 5600Mhz C36 1.25V Black Desktop PC Gaming Memory
    KC3000 512GB PCIE 4.0 NVME M.2 SSD x 2

Connected to a 2 x Dell S2721QS + 1 x Dell U3219Q 4K monitors and a Corsair K95 keyboard..

I just need to get in to gaming so that I can get some benefits with it (Photoshop runs well though!)

I must be disadvantaged, no Omega Speedmaster (Mk1) and my computer is a real baby, ASUS PN51, with a 28" Tuf gaming monitor and a Kinesis keyboard. Covert in a word. Luke gtr struck gold with the chat. More activity than I have seen for months.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : modified -- B5 Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- 2007 VW Touareg TDI 3.0 with air suspension and lockers-- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Just to put a damper on things, I gave up on Windiows based machines years ago, well for personal use anyway, I'm a Mac OS man, 64GB memory, tera byte SSD, 4k screen and guess what when you turn it on it dosen't come up with the splash screen "Preparing to Install Updates". Mind you when you start delving into the Unix inner works it gets a bit deep. I have to use Windows based machines for work with multiple VMs installed as a lot of the software we use needs specific windows installs and some wont even run on Windows 10.

I know I'm going to cop a beating over this but its just like the Holden verse Ford scenario.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

Macs are fine, and are great machines, but I never liked being locked in to their eco system.

My daughter has a new ipad pro (?) and it's just confusing/impossible to get files between it and our home network/nas drive due to its 'security'.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

My last build was a Pentium 90 way back in early to mid 90's. It was quite a beast of a machine back in its day. Now I'm just on i7 laptops with a good bit of RAM and nothing special.

I do like my keyboards so I'm on an original IBM Model M Clicky. Nothing beats the feel and sound of the "clink".

IMG_6005.jpg

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6 (Unreg)

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6 Quattro

Quote Originally Posted by Tas_Audi View Post
    Just to put a damper on things, I gave up on Windiows based machines years ago, well for personal use anyway, I'm a Mac OS man, 64GB memory, tera byte SSD, 4k screen and guess what when you turn it on it dosen't come up with the splash screen "Preparing to Install Updates". Mind you when you start delving into the Unix inner works it gets a bit deep. I have to use Windows based machines for work with multiple VMs installed as a lot of the software we use needs specific windows installs and some wont even run on Windows 10.

I know I'm going to cop a beating over this but its just like the Holden verse Ford scenario.

Nope, I use Linux on some machines and will eventually drop all windows machines in favour. Old apple was great, a bit of the hippie culture approach, but new Apple is as greedy, controlling and manipulative as the worst of them. My last apple was 2008 and it is a gem compared with todays but you could see the writing.....
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : modified -- B5 Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- 2007 VW Touareg TDI 3.0 with air suspension and lockers-- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

loved those keyboards, I still remember them.

I started off with good keyboards in typesettings, in the 80s... I had to fix them, and the girls (mostly) typesetters were very fussy and wanted to get 'their' keyboard back each time. Some places paid them by the keystroke, so they were very particular about which one.
    Watching them type, read the copy, fix it, and hold a conversation was amazing..

The Corsair mechanical keyboards are good, and 'close' to the one above....

Quote Originally Posted by broke90 View Post
    My last build was a Pentium 90 way back in early to mid 90's. It was quite a beast of a machine back in its day. Now I'm just on i7 laptops with a good bit of RAM and nothing special.

I do like my keyboards so I'm on an original IBM Model M Clicky. Nothing beats the feel and sound of the "clink".

IMG_6005.jpg
    Had a keyboard like that for years. A few years ago I moved on to the Kinesis and it is one of those things that once done and adapted, you find it so great that you are lost without it. Clicky keys too!
    monitor.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    Macs are fine, and are great machines, but I never liked being locked in to their eco system.

My daughter has a new ipad pro (?) and it's just confusing/impossible to get files between it and our home network/nas drive due to its 'security'.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
    I also run a 5TB Raid 5 NAS and have no issues at all moving files from the Mac OS to the NAS/ to the cloud and windows machines. You are right Apple security is pretty tight. For a long time when I was working overseas I would fly back via Singapore and was always buying motherboards, graphics cards, drives etc etc. It just got to the point I was spending so much time building, overclocking, cooling, software loading, unloading that I drifted away from it as it was so time consuming, moved into cars instead for an easier life, LOL.

I do like the IBM clicky keyboards best ever built.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro