Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A favour to ask..

Default A favour to ask..

Hi guys.

Im wondering if someone might be able to do me a huge favour.

Im about to install a towbar in a new (to me) 2016 4M Q7. I havent actually taken delivery of the car yet, thus my request

Im getting mixed information about whether or not the wiring loom for the tow module is already in the car (I from the factory), or whether I need to figure out how to wire it up myself.

According to some folks Ive spoken to, the wiring loom comes ore installed on the left side of the car, at the rear (where the rear fuse box is).

This is where the big favour comes into play. Would anyone be happy to pull that rear panel trim off their car (apparently its a few torx screws and a hold your mouth right pull) and take a bunch of photos so I can see if is indeed already there, or not?

Big ask I know, so not expecting many takers, but you never know until you ask right?

Thanks

Dave

I don't have the car, so can't help on the pics, but I do believe that some users have had the loom.

What about getting the person who currently has the car do it for you? I'm assuming it's not that easy?

Unfortunately being a dealer, they’re somewhat disinterested now the sale has been made.

It seems you would really need someone with a similar spec car to yours to get any confidence. I have a Touareg with all the options and there are some buttons that do not seem to even be in the (very comprehensive) manual. Comparing with others with the same model but different options, things are different. Common sense would suggest that the loom should be common and the fuse box likewise and no suggestion of some random "conspiracy theory" just a case of the interaction of options isn't always set in concrete. And, with my model, the use of LED tail lights on a trailer is a pia. Throws up many screen faults for bulb errors. There are solutions but a lot of nutting out to get the right one.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : modified -- B5 Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- 2007 VW Touareg TDI 3.0 with air suspension and lockers-- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Based on the VIN an Audi dealer should be able to confirm if the vehicle has the Trailer Prep option or not. Best to speak to someone in the Parts area who should be able to confirm.

You can request for ya dealer to see if they can send you the vehicular ID chart and you can determine whats been installed on your car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Muckman View Post
    You can request for ya dealer to see if they can send you the vehicular ID chart and you can determine whats been installed on your car.

Interesting - thanks mate. I actually rang my local audi dealer and gave them the VIN. All they were able to do (allegedly) was verbally tell me what adttional factory options it came with.

Is this a common practice do you know? If i rang the dealer, would they know what the Vehicle ID Chart is?

Thankyou

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davus View Post
    I actually rang my local audi dealer and gave them the VIN. All they were able to do (allegedly) was verbally tell me what adttional factory options it came with.
    That's what the guys in Sales would see using Audinet Dave.

What you want is the full multipage Vehicle Data printout like what Muckman has shown above. This shows all the PR codes and descriptions fitted to your vehicle and is something the guys in Parts would be able to bring up for you.

Default A favour to ask..

Quote Originally Posted by davus View Post

Is this a common practice do you know?

Dave
    Not exactly sure you officially can get this info. It is included however when ever you order the Factory workshop Manuel from https://www.factory-manuals.com it is included when ever you buy a Manuel from them.
    I cant count how many times this chart has come on handy when trying to identify a particular part on the online parts catalogs.
    For example, If your model came with 3 types of brake calipers, but can not physically identify them on the catalogue, you just go to your index and find the part code you have and match it on the catalog.

I always encourage people to get a the factory workshop Manuel when ever you buy a a car so that ya never stuck on basic maintenance procedures.

Another alternative is that Elsa website thing where you pay for a days worth of access, but I just dont see the point in that. Just buy the Manual and you will always have it on hand. I have a manual on all my devices. Got really sick of printing endless pages of info, so now I just use my IPad when ever im working on the car.

You have all this information yourself, it is in your service manual and in the boot of the car. Two identical stickers with all the build options included when it leaves the factory. It doesn't include anything the dealer may install later. Just copy the codes and an hour on the net and you have everything you would get from Audi anyway.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : modified -- B5 Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- 2007 VW Touareg TDI 3.0 with air suspension and lockers-- UNIMOG 404 TLF8