Thread: Q5 MY 2021 plus - missing under bonnet installation cover

Default Q5 MY 2021 plus - missing under bonnet installation cover

Just replaced the 2018 Q5 (FY) I had with a new 2022 one and noticed the lack of under bonnet installation cover.
    Research into this and it appears that from early 2021 production stopped supplying the cover on all models.
    The cover is no longer necessary as the engine cover had been redesigned with additional padding/installation to provide heat and sound damping under the bonnet. All great but this still leaves the original mounting holes under the bonnet exposed and a pain to keep clean.
    The good news is that the original bonnet installation cover I had fits under the new model. So I ordered one in from Audi parts. Part number 80A 863 825 for around $300 plus tax (GST) including the 3 x mounting clips. This is what US on-line part stores are selling them for before shipping costs.

Is it really needed, no. Will anyone care, most likely not. But like I said there are exposed cavities under the bonnet which will be a pain to keep clean, as I am one of those people who wax their engine bay and under bonnet area to keep it really clean it will annoy me too much. The cover shields these open areas.

Bonnet installation.jpg
    Big car - FY Q5 150kw TDI quattro sport, all option boxes ticked.
    Little car - VW T-Roc 140kw TSI 4motion R Line, all option boxes ticked.

I wonder if there is any difference in heat soak with it on?

My 2008 S5 didn't have it which I thought was strange as my 2004 A4 did have some...

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Complex subject. No idea what testing is actually done and what the real intention is, performance or appearance. You should still get dust and dirt under the cover if it works, if spotless under then it would seem that it is maintaining a static layer of air which is an insulator. Seems to me that generally it is a cosmetic attachment so the great unwashed can't seee the reality of an ICE.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : modified -- B5 Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- 2007 VW Touareg TDI 3.0 with air suspension and lockers-- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

I thought the original intention was either sound deadening and/or heat insulation..

But I'm often wrong!

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

You're selling yourself short. It would do both of those functions if needed. I can see that back before the underside of bonnets was effectively insulated, an engine cover would both reduce noise and stop the bonnet paint from discolouring. A static air layer between the engine and the cover would lessen the heat transfer and noise transfer. Engine cooling remains an issue and what if any part the top cover plays is largely guesswork for us mere mortals. It's a lot less clear than the undertray which is a critical part in modern car cooling.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : modified -- B5 Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- 2007 VW Touareg TDI 3.0 with air suspension and lockers-- UNIMOG 404 TLF8