Thread: Wiring in Headlight Housing B7 RS4

Default Wiring in Headlight Housing B7 RS4

Decided to upgrade the DRL and parkers to LEDs on the RS4. Of course like any Audi, things don't go as planned. Opened up the headlight housing and found cracked insulation and brittle wiring. No surprise with age and heat.

Haven't touched it fearing I would make things worse.

What's the best solution here? Trying to find a second hand / new head lights with xenon's and self levelling for a B7 is a mission in itself - they need to be RHD as they're all coded. Doing a repair on this would also require a lot time, effort and patience.

De-pinning wire by wire, heat shrinking etc.... I've never done anything like this before. What do you suggest? Anybody here a pro that's sydney based and want to lend a helping hand lol - I imagine this will only get worse06d3a648-3d1f-11ed-aeb3-cb63feadf629_20a6efd4-2ec9-4d9b-ba03-ec143bddb256.jpg

Auto electrician should be able to help? I'm assuming that's what they (can) do?

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Iíve had the exact same problem. I gently wrapped the damaged insulation in electrical tape. 3M to be exact.

If I was doing it now, I would be using Tesa tape which is a cloth electrical tape. Easier to work with.

Like this

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12542435...mis&media=COPY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I imagine this will only get worse" - yes, it does. With mine the high beam mechanism stopped working though there had been issues before. I found a used light unit (only $Aus950!), but I have plans to dismantle the old one and see if it can be fixed.

Thank you for the suggestion mike. I'm going to attempt this over the christmas break. I'll need to drop the front bumper and remove the headlights to get the right access. If I'm feeling up to it, might disassemble and paint the insides black. Will get some of that tape.

Funnily enough I have the same issue with my left high beam... it has something to do with the wiring from some reading I've done...

The joys of owning an old Audi

Have you pulled front bar before?

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post

Have you pulled front bar before?

I have once before. Was a pain doing it on my own but eventually got it off. When you think you've got the right tools you don't, I learnt the hard way trying to remove those T30 bolts that sit 20cm deep (next to the head light).. will use a solid driver rather than a extension socket this time. I lost the head on the ratchet and had to use a magnet lol.

Have you got an easy way?

Iíve got some tips Iíll write up in a few days. Just got a lot of work to get done at the moment