PDA

View Full Version : APR flash tune

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

petrobalkan
April 10th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Live in Melb city area and lots of Golf Rs are turning up all over the place, near every time they have tried to race me :) the car has brought in alot of new interest.

Seems suby drivers don't like the new competition and also seem to want to race nowadays..

Everytime i have seen an A45 or cla45 as there are heaps near me in richmond I haven't been able to properly line up with them..

homer123456
April 10th, 2015, 04:18 PM
3.9 would be achievable

S3 with APR Stage 1 AND launch control I assume? If so... :woah2:

Also, can anyone with the APR Tune confirm if it changes any of the shift points in ‘S’ mode?
I find that in Dynamic or Individual, when I put it into S mode it holds the revs for waaaaaaaaay to long even on part throttle. Makes it sound like I am ‘racing’ everyone off the line even in traffic.
Understand with WOT.. but not on part throttle

A.U.D.I.
April 10th, 2015, 05:27 PM
...Seems suby drivers don't like the new competition and also seem to want to race nowadays...
Noticed the same. No one noticed the GTI but now I get flogged Forresters and wrecked Wrex's up my clacker and alongside... Very amusing :)

11013mb
April 10th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Noticed the same. No one noticed the GTI but now I get flogged Forresters and wrecked Wrex's up my clacker and alongside... Very amusing :)

Agree with this one. Got bit unlucky the other night against a worked S15 (he was the dangerous driving type and I cbf)

I am very tempted with a stage 1 tune. Veryy tempted!

roadrunner
April 10th, 2015, 06:31 PM
S3 with APR Stage 1 AND launch control I assume? If so... :woah2:

Also, can anyone with the APR Tune confirm if it changes any of the shift points in ‘S’ mode?
I find that in Dynamic or Individual, when I put it into S mode it holds the revs for waaaaaaaaay to long even on part throttle. Makes it sound like I am ‘racing’ everyone off the line even in traffic.
Understand with WOT.. but not on part throttle

APR S1 hasn't change the way it holds on way to long in S. In D though it does seem to hold a bit longer. Really needs a DSG tune (out in a few months)

Under street conditions I'd say 4.3 would be an average LC time, IMO no way under that. All these tuning co's love claiming under 4, but it just isn't realistic on a S1 with OE hardware. I really don't buy a tune for 0-100 times, rather more for the way it delivers the power through all the gears, response, and linear delivery, all of which the APR delivers in spades!!! :)

xssiiv
April 10th, 2015, 07:44 PM
APR S1 hasn't change the way it holds on way to long in S. In D though it does seem to hold a bit longer. Really needs a DSG tune (out in a few months)

Under street conditions I'd say 4.3 would be an average LC time, IMO no way under that. All these tuning co's love claiming under 4, but it just isn't realistic on a S1 with OE hardware. I really don't buy a tune for 0-100 times, rather more for the way it delivers the power through all the gears, response, and linear delivery, all of which the APR delivers in spades!!! :)

Does it still do DSG farts on up shift? Saw that UK review video and he mentions it's no longer there...

mp2811
April 10th, 2015, 07:50 PM
I find in normal D mode it holds gear slightly longer but still changes gears way too early in most cases! The S/dynamic still crazy over the top holding gears! To point I've only used it 3 times in 10 months on my golf R!
Thats the only annoying thing I find driving it now, as such will get DSG tune in June at same time as service! Will stick with fast stuff and get the Harding Performance dsg tune! I expect these issues will be resolved and I'll be extremely happy!

recruit2
April 10th, 2015, 08:13 PM
Yeah the gearbox is interesting. My thoughts are:
- It's nice to have "D" mode be super efficient and very early changing so that you've got something smooth and efficient just to punt around in when you aren't looking to drive fast. I actually really like "D" mode and think it's good as a default setting. The power is always there if you need to tramp on it anyway...
- I LOVE manual mode, I actually use it most of the time as I just prefer the full control feel. Unless I'm eating/drinking or just tired or something, in which case I'll slamp it into "D".
- I dislike "S" mode the most because yes as others have raised, it holds gears way too long and you look like an idiot revving the engine too much. But I guess it may have it's place like maybe a very hilly/windy road like the Clyde Mountain etc. But for me, I'd still prefer to use manual anyway.

roadrunner
April 10th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Yeah the gearbox is interesting. My thoughts are:
- It's nice to have "D" mode be super efficient and very early changing so that you've got something smooth and efficient just to punt around in when you aren't looking to drive fast. I actually really like "D" mode and think it's good as a default setting. The power is always there if you need to tramp on it anyway...
- I LOVE manual mode, I actually use it most of the time as I just prefer the full control feel. Unless I'm eating/drinking or just tired or something, in which case I'll slamp it into "D".
- I dislike "S" mode the most because yes as others have raised, it holds gears way too long and you look like an idiot revving the engine too much. But I guess it may have it's place like maybe a very hilly/windy road like the Clyde Mountain etc. But for me, I'd still prefer to use manual anyway.

+1 Agree
M mode is the best, just one annoyance is that it changes to M1 over speed bumps etc. If I just driving in normal work traffic then D. For spirited driving M... S just doesn't change when it should and seems like it is race track tuned. For example on the street if I floor it in S2, S3 and back off for a few seconds to light throttle, it just holds at high revs rather than change to S4 surely. The reason is probably because on a track you'd want it to hold it in S3. Stupid IMO as S mode is for the road, M is for the track.

roadrunner
April 10th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Does it still do DSG farts on up shift? Saw that UK review video and he mentions it's no longer there...
Sure does, although may be a bit quieter on part throttle, but on WOT seems louder. Nothing on downshift.

Remarcabull
April 11th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Sadly I'm finding most cars aren't interested in a little squirt from the lights. Every man and his dog seems to drive a Clubsport, Maloo or SS in Canberra and in my previous GS ute it was always on for young an old.....Not that I ever dragged people, the clutch just seemed to slip rather frequently at the lights.
Haha yeah they know they will get burned, I've dragged a few but not many as you say, more wrx Mazda mps evo Mitsubishi cult amg 45 and bmw m135 lol

CanberraS3
April 11th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Haha yeah they know they will get burned, I've dragged a few but not many as you say, more wrx Mazda mps evo Mitsubishi cult amg 45 and bmw m135 lol

To be fair we need to give most of them a head start....rev at the lights, make a quick cup of tea then take off and rapidly real them in!

hsv216
April 11th, 2015, 05:55 PM
To be fair we need to give most of them a head start....rev at the lights, make a quick cup of tea then take off and rapidly real them in!
Lol agree.

i do also enjoy when i am just driving nice and quietly, keeping to speed limit etc, and some muppet in whatever comes up and sits on my ass. Ill let him sit behind for a bit and then just drop it into S mode and floor it (normally sit in Dynamic in D). I dont see them again.

Even today had a bit of fun with some muppet in an e350 cabriolet. Sat back a bit as entering motorway and floored it. Caught up to him very quickly. Think they (occupants of the merc) all heard the car as they all turned to have a look. [emoji12]

I will wait and see after the canberra catchup as to if i am happy with the stock or if it "needs" a tune (for me at least). ☺

mp2811
April 12th, 2015, 09:53 AM
My R got into the 11's today at pod running a Unicorn map, absolutely over the moon! Time was a 11.9 @ 114.

Very very quick considering it's just a stage 1 on an intake. http://www.vwroc.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Copied that from VRWOC forum. That's that tune I posted earlier that's most similar to the APR one. Just shows tune/intake and into 11's.

domino_z
April 12th, 2015, 11:27 AM
That's a great time and pretty much lineball with a stage 1 a45

Lock & Load
April 12th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Anyone on here running this set up

G.I.A.C. 8V S3 / MK7 Golf R Stage 1 Performance Software | AWE Tuning (http://www.awe-tuning.com/g-i-a-c-8v-s3-mk7-golf-r-stage-1-performance-software)

npl
April 13th, 2015, 07:09 PM
So from those who have done the APR Stage 1 - what effect has it had on fuel consumption? I assume that it is drinking a bit more?

mp2811
April 13th, 2015, 07:17 PM
So from those who have done the APR Stage 1 - what effect has it had on fuel consumption? I assume that it is drinking a bit more?

Ive had it 3-4 months now and fuel consumption same if not slightly less! I have pedal box and intake and ave about 8.8l 100km per tank!

Because of the massive torque and power increase in low/mid you barely have to push car hard to be moving fast! I barely even get above 3500-4k rpm as at or over speed limit by then!

on a side note my 3yo son now asks to go in daddy's "fast car" over mums red car now! So that's how noticeable the tune is! And my wife drives harder than I do!

recruit2
April 13th, 2015, 08:18 PM
My car said it was sitting on high 5's cruising up the highway on a Sydney trip, but that doesn't really tell you much. It definitely hasn't gotten any worse since the tune and it also definitely doesn't blow any dirty rich fuel smoke or anything. Car feels amazing, boosts very easily at low to mid rpm and fuel economy seems "good". I've never measured fuel economy though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadrunner
April 13th, 2015, 08:23 PM
Not sure, never pay any attention to consumption. Fuel is just the cost of driving... if I spend an extra $100 per 10,000km due to a S1 tune I really don't care.

recruit2
April 13th, 2015, 08:27 PM
I'm exactly the same. I don't think I've ever measured fuel economy in my life. I know that overall it's a super clean modern 2L engine and much better than a V8.

Jussi70
April 13th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Ive had it 3-4 months now and fuel consumption same if not slightly less! I have pedal box and intake and ave about 8.8l 100km per tank!

Because of the massive torque and power increase in low/mid you barely have to push car hard to be moving fast! I barely even get above 3500-4k rpm as at or over speed limit by then!

on a side note my 3yo son now asks to go in daddy's "fast car" over mums red car now! So that's how noticeable the tune is! And my wife drives harder than I do!

How is pedal box working with tune? Other's maybe think that it's too jerky. I have pedal box but not tune yet. Thinking if have to sell pedal box or not when install Stage 1.

boltor
April 13th, 2015, 10:22 PM
talk of added fuel economy with a stage 1 tune is vital for home committee approvals...of course it is better fuel economy, and better for the environment...

dstama
April 13th, 2015, 10:22 PM
sorry - wrong thread!

roadrunner
April 13th, 2015, 10:26 PM
How is pedal box working with tune? Other's maybe think that it's too jerky. I have pedal box but not tune yet. Thinking if have to sell pedal box or not when install Stage 1.
APR S1 negates the need for a PedalBox. I sold mine after installing the APR S1

recruit2
April 13th, 2015, 10:54 PM
PedalBox! LOL. Meh...

11013mb
April 13th, 2015, 10:56 PM
APR S1 negates the need for a PedalBox. I sold mine after installing the APR S1

You did mention roadrunner that the initial 10% feel of the pedal box is one you miss

So with the APR S1 tune - throttle response very low in rev range is almost as good as without tune with pedal box ? How does it compare for that initial hit with tune versus with pedal box when u had it before tune

mp2811
April 13th, 2015, 11:25 PM

I had the Tune first for a good month or 2 before adding the pedal box. I personally don't find it jerky at all. I still found there was the pedal lag after tune (was less than before tune) but still there. I think the combo works fantastically for me.

I'm fairly light on accelerator though so like it responsive. If you like smashing the pedal prob not needed as much.

It's all a personal thing. I now find the D and sport modes annoying and using manual mode more and more so I'm booked in for Harding Performance DSG tune in couple of weeks. Again that's my personal view some will agree and others won't.

Just test out the Pedal Box and Tune combo and see how you like it.

roadrunner
April 13th, 2015, 11:47 PM
You did mention roadrunner that the initial 10% feel of the pedal box is one you miss

So with the APR S1 tune - throttle response very low in rev range is almost as good as without tune with pedal box ? How does it compare for that initial hit with tune versus with pedal box when u had it before tune

My take on things is: The PedalBox is electronic trickery really and it does it well. The APR is actual improved response from the engine mechanically and it is linear and smooth. The 2 together did not work well as the APR tune would have been mapped according to stock throttle inputs.

roadrunner
April 13th, 2015, 11:51 PM
I had the Tune first for a good month or 2 before adding the pedal box. I personally don't find it jerky at all. I still found there was the pedal lag after tune (was less than before tune) but still there. I think the combo works fantastically for me.

I'm fairly light on accelerator though so like it responsive. If you like smashing the pedal prob not needed as much.

It's all a personal thing. I now find the D and sport modes annoying and using manual mode more and more so I'm booked in for Harding Performance DSG tune in couple of weeks. Again that's my personal view some will agree and others won't.

Just test out the Pedal Box and Tune combo and see how you like it.
I agree that it is definitely personal preference. With my 1M Coupe I didn't like the sharp throttle mapping with the M button either as made it difficult to accurately modulate power especially with oversteer out of corners.

I find that with the APR the throttle is very responsive and to my liking.

xssiiv
April 13th, 2015, 11:58 PM
From Audizine forum in USA: Looks like a guy in Colombia just ran 11.88 on APR's stage 1 tune. Milltek downpipe, VWR Intake, 104 octane fuel.

mic151
April 14th, 2015, 10:34 AM
From Audizine forum in USA: Looks like a guy in Colombia just ran 11.88 on APR's stage 1 tune. Milltek downpipe, VWR Intake, 104 octane fuel.

from my understanding as soon as you add the Downpipe, a stage 2 tune is required. That is my plan and have spoken to 2 APR tuners who said the same thing.

on 98 octane fuel and only stage 1, a golf R mk7 has ran 12.07. Sub 12 certainly achievable with Downpipe and Air intake

Aussie Audi Guy
April 14th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Yep, 11.88 on an 8V S3 with just intake, stage 1 + Milltek DP - and thats at super high altitude (why they use 104) - Impressive results!

roadrunner
April 15th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Version 1.1 out in the USA to resolve a few cases of EPC & limp mode errors. Not sure if required in Oz market?

sxygtr
April 15th, 2015, 11:57 AM
That is nuts so mid 11's achievable? Will see of majority of cars on the road? What does an A45 run stock?

fastgun
April 15th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Yep, 11.88 on an 8V S3 with just intake, stage 1 + Milltek DP - and thats at super high altitude (why they use 104) - Impressive results!

Guy, are you confirming that a stage 2 tune is not required for a DP?

11013mb
April 15th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Well I've booked my tune in for tomorrow afternoon. I will report back.

sxygtr
April 15th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Look fwd to results

Aussie Audi Guy
April 15th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Guy, are you confirming that a stage 2 tune is not required for a DP?

Car will run fine with stage 1 tune & Milltek high cell count downpipe (can not speak for any other) and make ~ 7- 9kw at the hubs with that. The stage 2 tune is much more involved and does make more power & torque again.

Remarcabull
April 15th, 2015, 03:59 PM
:excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::exci ted: When will this be available...

Car will run fine with stage 1 tune & Milltek high cell count downpipe (can not speak for any other) and make ~ 7- 9kw at the hubs with that. The stage 2 tune is much more involved and does make more power & torque again.

salamagd
April 15th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Anyone got APR stage 1 with a Pedalbox installed? Good combo?

mp2811
April 15th, 2015, 07:09 PM

I have it on my MK7R. I think it works fantastically together but its subjective, others on here found it too sensitive with both. My wife used to turn it off driving my car too.

If you want a really responsive feel it's great, I don't find it jerky or anything. Just hit pedal and go!

I would recommend getting Tune first and see if you're happy with that. It totally transforms the car. If you feel you need pedal box like I did I then got it.

roadrunner
April 15th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Didn't work for me

roadrunner
April 15th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Well I've booked my tune in for tomorrow afternoon. I will report back.

Where at?

11013mb
April 15th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Where at?

BWA in Seven Hills. close to me and I have limited time as quite busy at work have to go and come back to work.

crc
April 15th, 2015, 10:26 PM
Just spoke to Tim there today. He mentioned that he had his first S3 booked in. Seems like a good bloke. They have done some work for me in the past with good results.

recruit2
April 15th, 2015, 10:36 PM
Good luck, you will LOVE the car when you drive it!!!

xssiiv
April 15th, 2015, 11:39 PM
Spoke to my local APR dealer yesterday, so close, just need a bit more convincing lol. He mentioned for $350 I could have unlimited flashes, anyone else heard of this?

roadrunner
April 16th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Spoke to my local APR dealer yesterday, so close, just need a bit more convincing lol. He mentioned for $350 I could have unlimited flashes, anyone else heard of this?
$350??...APR it is $1695 and reflashing cost thereafter is at the discretion of the installer, but around $70

fastgun
April 16th, 2015, 09:00 AM

The price you pay for the Tune includes the labour required for the initial installation, afterwards the tune is paid for you may have to to pay for the labour if you need to revert back to stock or update the Tune to a newer version "All APR ECU Upgrades include a limited lifetime warranty against defects in the software and to provide free updates and reflashes as they become available. Installation may be additional and is not included in the warranty". " http://goapr.com.au/products/ecu_upgrade_s38v_20t_gen3_au.html

So as in every time you go to an Audi stealership for Service or Warranty work the wshop flashes it back to stock and then when you are back from the stealership the w/shop flashes the car back to the Tune? If yes then I know that wshops charge per Flash and Re-flash, around the $80 mark so $350 "fixed price" is a consideration however I would do the maths, even if the wshop charges $100 per cycle then you would need 4 Flash and Re-flash cycles to make it worth you while....

xssiiv
April 16th, 2015, 09:06 AM
$350??...APR it is $1695 and reflashing cost thereafter is at the discretion of the installer, but around $70

Thanks, I would rather pay $70 per flash as I won't have the car for a long time, will discuss the option with my dealer. Yes after the initial $1695 flash.
So the tune is all positive from those that have it already?

roadrunner
April 16th, 2015, 09:25 AM
Thanks, I would rather pay $70 per flash as I won't have the car for a long time, will discuss the option with my dealer. Yes after the initial $1695 flash.

Nah, I hate it ;)

domino_z
April 16th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Are Aussie cars suffering this limp issue the Americans are over dramatizing

roadrunner
April 16th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Are Aussie cars suffering this limp issue the Americans are over dramatizing
Not that I am aware of. APR dealer said there are no new versions or reports of limp mode and that the issue was probably fuel type related in the US. I have really pushed mine and no codes.

mp2811
April 16th, 2015, 04:17 PM

I've had nothing but positives with tune on my MK7R and had it in since mid Dec. Was very lucky and got on sale too $1400!

My dealer has offered free flashes within reason (service/warranty work etc) Very good customer service so I've been back to get VWR intake from him, going to get HP dsg tune with him soon and going to service my car there. Will no doubt tempt me with DP and stage 2 at some point in time too!

The day after my wife's car gets it's 3yr service will take hers for tune also!

skchau
April 16th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Can anyone in recommend a dealer in Melbourne who does APR tuning and for future car servicing? Has anyone deal with Volkspower (Burwood) before?

11013mb
April 16th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Got the tune installed at BWA Auto.

Driving away immediately, with Pedal Box off so I took it off before the tune (EDIT), the DSG feels much more responsive. Whether as responsive as with the pedal box on for that initial blip I would say not exactly (as I had mine on sports 1+ / 2+ prior to tune) but you can feel the torque kicking in much earlier. Oil temp now hovers around 105 (before it ranges from 110-112 ish) when giving it a decent hit. When I did that, absolutely thrilling and sensational! Such a noticeable difference. The car has been awoken!
Happy with the takeoff on medium throttle which is just brilliant!
Giving it a good boot in S mode will throw you back in your seat quite strongly (similar to how that UK dude reacted when he was reviewing the APR Stage 1 tune)

Agree with roadrunner that in 3rd and 4th gear you can feel the car's brute force working through the rev range and quite a significant improvement for me!

Turning left on a slight uphill after a stop and flooring it made the stability electronics to intervene. I am sure if I flick it in sports mode (or if I am daring - traction off) - Ill get the rear out or something

I look forward to allowing the car , its adaptives etc to get used to the new conditions and will take it down some country roads on Saturday for a hard run!

Those who got the tune, how have you got yours to learn initially?

roadrunner
April 16th, 2015, 06:16 PM

Driving away immediately, with Pedal Box off, the DSG feels much more responsive. Whether as responsive as with the pedal box on for that initial blip I would say not exactly (as I had mine on sports 1+ / 2+ prior to tune) but you can feel the torque kicking in much earlier. Oil temp now hovers around 105 (before it ranges from 110-112 ish) when giving it a decent hit. When I did that, absolutely thrilling and sensational! Such a noticeable difference. The car has been awoken!
Giving it a good boot in S mode will throw you back in your seat quite strongly (similar to how that UK dude reacted when he was reviewing the APR Stage 1 tune)

Agree with roadrunner that in 3rd and 4th gear you can feel the car's brute force working through the rev range and quite a significant improvement for me!

Turning left on a slight uphill after a stop and flooring it made the stability electronics to intervene. I am sure if I flick it in sports mode (or if I am daring - traction off) - Ill get the rear out or something

I look forward to allowing the car , its adaptives etc to get used to the new conditions and will take it down some country roads on Saturday for a hard run!

Nice!:)... The boost and torque come on so quickly, but still feels smooth, if not smoother than stock. IMO, take out the PedalBox, for me it seemed to confuse the DSG with the APR.

Best way to get the new adaption is to do a few WOT pulls in 2nd to 4th or a country drive. It gets a lot better after a 100km.

gbernard
April 16th, 2015, 06:28 PM
what is WOT ?

roadrunner
April 16th, 2015, 06:34 PM
what is WOT ?
Wide Open Throttle

A.U.D.I.
April 16th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Wide Open Throttle
Yup. I had no idea either, but I googled rather than ask on the forum ;)

i always used used to refer to that as FTF - foot to floor - but maybe that's my UK upbringing :)

mp2811
April 16th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Can anyone in recommend a dealer in Melbourne who does APR tuning and for future car servicing? Has anyone deal with Volkspower (Burwood) before?

I sure can! Fast stuff mordialloc! Dean is fantastic! Can't recommend him enough! Head of APR in Victoria and works closely with Guy Harding! He races his mk7r and loves it! Fantastic Customer service! Will do flashes for free within reason, installed my intake at no cost! Going back in 2 weeks for Harding performance dsg flash, will be getting car serviced with him too!

He had my mobile saved so knew my name when I called, always very informative and friendly on phone, switched off my soundaktor for me when it was rattling too after scanning car! Called me couple days after tune/intake to check up how I liked it! It's more a passion for him and as such is very busy with loyal customers! Doesn't push sales either lets you decide and let's you test drive his car to see how the mods work! Now has tune, intake and milltek exhaust! The mods sell themselves!

skchau
April 16th, 2015, 07:17 PM
I sure can! Fast stuff mordialloc! Dean is fantastic! Can't recommend him enough! Head of APR in Victoria and works closely with Guy Harding! He races his mk7r and loves it! Fantastic Customer service! Will do flashes for free within reason, installed my intake at no cost! Going back in 2 weeks for Harding performance dsg flash, will be getting car serviced with him too!

He had my mobile saved so knew my name when I called, always very informative and friendly on phone, switched off my soundaktor for me when it was rattling too after scanning car! Called me couple days after tune/intake to check up how I liked it! It's more a passion for him and as such is very busy with loyal customers! Doesn't push sales either lets you decide and let's you test drive his car to see how the mods work! Now has tune, intake and milltek exhaust! The mods sell themselves!
Sounds awesome ! Will give him a buzz in the near future! Thanks

Remarcabull
April 17th, 2015, 11:18 AM

Driving away immediately, with Pedal Box off so I took it off before the tune (EDIT), the DSG feels much more responsive. Whether as responsive as with the pedal box on for that initial blip I would say not exactly (as I had mine on sports 1+ / 2+ prior to tune) but you can feel the torque kicking in much earlier. Oil temp now hovers around 105 (before it ranges from 110-112 ish) when giving it a decent hit. When I did that, absolutely thrilling and sensational! Such a noticeable difference. The car has been awoken!

Awesome review, cant wait for stage 2 then :) which i knew when it is coming out.

sxygtr
April 17th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Nice one pity Mordy is a bit of a hike

domino_z
April 17th, 2015, 12:26 PM
what happened with the APR april discount offers, did that even happen?

roadrunner
April 17th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Around June & Xmas usually

homer123456
April 17th, 2015, 12:30 PM

Guy posted a few pages back that due to changes in how APR (global) run promos, the Easter sale wasnt happening. Not sure re: Xmas

A.U.D.I.
April 17th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Guy posted a few pages back that due to changes in how APR (global) run promos, the Easter sale wasnt happening. Not sure re: XmasMight have to be a full price upgrade. Guy must be saving up for a new car ;)

Remarcabull
April 17th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Might have to be a full price upgrade. Guy must be saving up for a new car ;)

Im waiting on stage 3 costs vs stage 2 power.

And if stage 3 would be ok for a daily driver. Ill have to compare curves with stock.

domino_z
April 17th, 2015, 02:34 PM
stage 1 will be fine for me

not going to fall into trap of over modifying again and impacting driveability

my 35 has been a money pit constantly chasing expensive drivetrain upgrades to handle the easy power gain

sxygtr
April 17th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Is this the same Dom from Detail Paradise did you also hsve an Evo as well?

Remarcabull
April 17th, 2015, 02:49 PM

my 35 has been a money pit constantly chasing expensive drivetrain upgrades to handle the easy power gain

I already have IC, Sports Cat, exhaust and intake. All i need is the tune... :(

roadrunner
April 17th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Get the S1. You only pay the difference to upgrade to S2

A.U.D.I.
April 17th, 2015, 03:13 PM

Huh, you've already got the tune too?!

Remarcabull
April 17th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Huh, you've already got the tune too?!

Yeah its not at its full potential. The mods alone give it more power than the tune.

recruit2
April 17th, 2015, 05:12 PM
You are wise beyond your years! Exactly where I'm at. The car absolutely flies with just stage 1.
Plus it's practical, affordable and reliable. Exactly where I'm at in my own thinking as well.
I don't tinker with all the hardware bits any more. I even love the factory built in boost gauge and am happy with that. No tinkering required.

When you tinker, things rattle and start going funny and you never know what caused it. I hate that feeling.

roadrunner
April 17th, 2015, 06:17 PM
You are wise beyond your years! Exactly where I'm at. The car absolutely flies with just stage 1.
Plus it's practical, affordable and reliable. Exactly where I'm at in my own thinking as well.
I don't tinker with all the hardware bits any more. I even love the factory built in boost gauge and am happy with that. No tinkering required.

When you tinker, things rattle and start going funny and you never know what caused it. I hate that feeling.

100%. Keep all the hardware stock. The exhaust, FMIC, DV's are all just fine in OE spec. Even the wheels I am resisting changing (for now). The gains achieved by hardware are usually high $/kW return compared to a tune. With my past cars I got caught up in the modding spiral and while it was fun, the gains are minimal and it usually causes headaches with one changes requires another and another etc.

11013mb
April 18th, 2015, 11:59 PM
Went for a good hard and solid drive through Windsor to Singleton mountains etc
First opportunity to do good 2nd to fourth gear WOT hits. Definitely agree that the car has adjusted to the tune. Sensational acceleration you can feel it much more it does throw you back into your seat

EFFORTLESSLY gets the car to some serious speeds. Very happy with the tune.

Will be dropping oil very soon (car now at 4500kms)

Loving every bit of it

After coming back into inner west Sydney the traffic and relatively crappy roads was a brutal reminder of how I need to settle eventually in a place where there aren't speed limits and more importantly proper highways! Would love to take this car on the autobahn

mp2811
April 19th, 2015, 01:38 AM
Went for a good hard and solid drive through Windsor to Singleton mountains etc
First opportunity to do good 2nd to fourth gear WOT hits. Definitely agree that the car has adjusted to the tune. Sensational acceleration you can feel it much more it does throw you back into your seat

EFFORTLESSLY gets the car to some serious speeds. Very happy with the tune.

Will be dropping oil very soon (car now at 4500kms)

Loving every bit of it

After coming back into inner west Sydney the traffic and relatively crappy roads was a brutal reminder of how I need to settle eventually in a place where there aren't speed limits and more importantly proper highways! Would love to take this car on the autobahn

That's ecatcly how I feel about the tune, the power is effortless. Makes car feel very light and it's as smooth as stock or smoother. The more I switch between my wifes stock S3 and my tuned MK7R, the more I appreciate the tune.

Like Roadrunner said, probably doesn't need any further mods at all. Huge increase per $ on tune and everything else big $ for min gains.

recruit2
April 20th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Yep the car now makes effortless power.

Nothing rattles and everything is reliable.

Have given mine a few really decent boost squirts lately and no issues whatsoever from the turbo. Driving like a dream.

I used to modify car hardware when I was 18-23 years old. It's money in the bin and the car slowly becomes a rattly piece of unreliable beast that you no longer trust.
Then you start upgrading clutches, gearboxes etc it's a very slippery slope and there is no return once you get into the "modding spiral". Never again!
You buy quality cars like this because everything is already done for you. It comes with A1 hardware from stock.

roadrunner
April 20th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Yep the car now makes effortless power.

Nothing rattles and everything is reliable.

Have given mine a few really decent boost squirts lately and no issues whatsoever from the turbo. Driving like a dream.

I used to modify car hardware when I was 18-23 years old. It's money in the bin and the car slowly becomes a rattly piece of unreliable beast that you no longer trust.
Then you start upgrading clutches, gearboxes etc it's a very slippery slope and there is no return once you get into the "modding spiral". Never again!
You buy quality cars like this because everything is already done for you. It comes with A1 hardware from stock.

Agree. Also aftermarket companies love to market their products based on how much better they are than stock and how much more performance you will get (e.g. Forge intercoolers), where in actual fact there is no need to upgrade unless you are trying to set drag records. Typically if you upgrade one component, you then need to upgrade others etc etc. Reliability begins to suffer and niggles begin.

Remarcabull
April 20th, 2015, 10:29 AM
100%. Keep all the hardware stock. The exhaust, FMIC, DV's are all just fine in OE spec. Even the wheels I am resisting changing (for now). The gains achieved by hardware are usually high $/kW return compared to a tune. With my past cars I got caught up in the modding spiral and while it was fun, the gains are minimal and it usually causes headaches with one changes requires another and another etc.

Totally agree, im not going to do anymore to mine, sticking with just the upgrades i have at the moment, sports Cat, exhaust, intercooler and air intake. Could just jump straight to a Stage 2 and that should be enough.

Waiting to see what the output is like.

Also if anyone is interested in knowing how much power a intercooler (forge) , sports cat and exhaust makes its 228kw 420 nm on a stock tune. (188kw at all four on MAHA dyno)

roadrunner
April 20th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Totally agree, im not going to do anymore to mine, sticking with just the upgrades i have at the moment, sports Cat, exhaust, intercooler and air intake. Could just jump straight to a Stage 2 and that should be enough.

Waiting to see what the output is like.

Also if anyone is interested in knowing how much power a intercooler (forge) , sports cat and exhaust makes its 228kw 415 nm on a stock tune. (188kw at all four on MAHA dyno)
LOL, you are already on the slippery slop :)

Remarcabull
April 20th, 2015, 10:40 AM
I like slippery! ;)

but i also hope the stage 2 is 550nm, i love the ooph in the back of the seat even more, followed by a wet fart out the exhaust... music without the smell ;)

CanberraS3
April 20th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Haha.

I've seen some info on the Revo stage 2 tune that requires the same hardware upgrades that you've done Remarcabull. What I can't understand is that it's stage 2 power output with those upgrades is still less than APR stage 1.

Remarcabull
April 20th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Haha.

I've seen some info on the Revo stage 2 tune that requires the same hardware upgrades that you've done Remarcabull. What I can't understand is that it's stage 2 power output with those upgrades is still less than APR stage 1.

I know hey! i guess they dont push it as hard? would be good to know what buffer APR put in, or if they max everything out, or maybe they are just awesome engineers ;)

mattex
April 20th, 2015, 11:39 AM

What happened to your "amazing ABT tune"? After months of defending ABT are you suggesting APR is the way to go now?

Remarcabull
April 20th, 2015, 12:00 PM
What happened to your "amazing ABT tune"? After months of defending ABT are you suggesting APR is the way to go now?

It is amazing, just not sure when its going to be fully tuned tho.

roadrunner
April 20th, 2015, 12:04 PM
It is amazing, just not sure when its going to be fully tuned tho.
I am confused too. What are you running, ABT, APR ??? I thought you were the Oz ABT test car?

Remarcabull
April 20th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I am confused too. What are you running, ABT, APR ??? I thought you were the Oz ABT test car?

ABT tune, output needs to be bumped up a bit.

CanberraS3
April 20th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Looks like an outlay of roughly 7k for a full turbo back exhaust and air intake for very minimal stage 2 performace.

Unless APR stage 2 is a significant improvement on satge 1, I think I might regret my exhaust purchase

Remarcabull
April 20th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Looks like an outlay of roughly 7k for a full turbo back exhaust and air intake for very minimal stage 2 performace.

Unless APR stage 2 is a significant improvement on satge 1, I think I might regret my exhaust purchase

Dont regret it, those fart will be epic, you will be nicknamed rolling thunder!

CanberraS3
April 20th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Dont regret it, those fart will be epic, you will be nicknamed rolling thunder!

Haha,

im sure once it's installed it will make it a whole new driving experience. Maybe a catback and not turbo back would have sufficed though

Remarcabull
April 20th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Haha,

im sure once it's installed it will make it a whole new driving experience. Maybe a catback and not turbo back would have sufficed though

The cat will make a decent difference. the stock one is very restrictive on the inital connection to the turbo, you should get a decent amount of torque and a little extra power.

roadrunner
April 20th, 2015, 01:05 PM
The cat will make a decent difference. the stock one is very restrictive on the inital connection to the turbo, you should get a decent amount of torque and a little extra power.
...and a $10,000 fine if caught by the EPA pigs

Remarcabull
April 20th, 2015, 01:19 PM
...and a $10,000 fine if caught by the EPA pigs

Fine for what? Its a fully certified catalyst, even works with stock tune without throwing an emissions control light.

roadrunner
April 20th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Fine for what? Its a fully certified catalyst, even works with stock tune without throwing an emissions control light.
So not catless? Will it pass the sniffer?

Remarcabull
April 20th, 2015, 02:41 PM
So not catless? Will it pass the sniffer?

Yeah will pass the sniffer, although in the morning in the garage you can smell the difference when it gets up to temp. Carbon monoxide is not plesant, which is probably normal for all cars tune or not

roadrunner
April 20th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Yeah will pass the sniffer, although in the morning in the garage you can smell the difference when it gets up to temp. Carbon monoxide is not plesant, which is probably normal for all cars tune or not
Carbon monoxide has no smell. The smell is unburnt fuel and hydro carbons.... if there is no cat it will not pass a sniffer

KAMBO
April 20th, 2015, 03:18 PM

ya smelling by-products of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide is odourless!

roadrunner
April 20th, 2015, 03:23 PM
IIRC it is a $10k fine for the owner and $100k fine for the installer who removed the cat

Remarcabull
April 20th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Carbon monoxide has no smell. The smell is unburnt fuel and hydro carbons.... if there is no cat it will not pass a sniffer

Ahh good to know.

roadrunner
April 20th, 2015, 05:19 PM
Ahh good to know.
So is your DP catless or high-flow cat?

CanberraS3
April 20th, 2015, 05:49 PM
So is your DP catless or high-flow cat?

From memory it's a 200 cel sports cat.

Surly you're not seriously worried about being busted by having an upgraded cat or not having one at all?

I've had some seriousy loud V8's in the past and ive only ever been questioned and tested once at an RBT

roadrunner
April 20th, 2015, 06:10 PM
From memory it's a 200 cel sports cat.

Surly you're not seriously worried about being busted by having an upgraded cat or not having one at all?

I've had some seriousy loud V8's in the past and ive only ever been questioned and tested once at an RBT
I'd never go catless on a daily driver just because of the smell and the slippery slope :). I do know a bloke a few years ago who had a 135i without cats and got done in Sydney...$6k fine back then

fastgun
April 21st, 2015, 09:05 AM
Carbon monoxide has no smell.

AKA silent death....

Aussie Audi Guy
April 24th, 2015, 12:24 PM
They are letting the press drive the GTI MQB fitted with the upcoming EFR stage 3 kit now.

http://www.vwvortex.com/features/reviews-and-road-tests/first-drive-apr-stage-three-golf-gti/?COLLCC=412514032&COLLCC=1391929686

fastgun
April 24th, 2015, 01:35 PM
They are letting the press drive the GTI MQB fitted with the upcoming EFR stage 3 kit now.

http://www.vwvortex.com/features/reviews-and-road-tests/first-drive-apr-stage-three-golf-gti/?COLLCC=412514032&COLLCC=1391929686

Tasty!! I smell a stage two and three release for 2015.

Remarcabull
April 24th, 2015, 03:14 PM

Whens stage 3 S3 8V..... *taps foot* lol, its going to be damn close to 10 second mark i recon, but will it be ok as a daily driver is the question... :)

mobs
April 24th, 2015, 05:02 PM

First Drive: APR Stage 3 Golf GTI - VWVortex (http://www.vwvortex.com/features/reviews-and-road-tests/first-drive-apr-stage-three-golf-gti/?COLLCC=412514032&COLLCC=1391929686)

GTI? too much power for front wheels, give us the S3 version :excited:

Remarcabull
April 25th, 2015, 06:44 PM
GTI? too much power for front wheels, give us the S3 version :excited:
😊 probs will spin wheels on 1st and 2nd on the s3 too 😁

schoona
April 25th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Pretty sure epa fine is so many $/cc of displacement

In an s3 you won't get done unless you get nabbed running a c63 to 250 lol

My missus mk7 gti with apr stage 1 struggles 1st and 2nd
Apart from sticky tyres and a mech diff, you don't need 'more power' in that thing

CanberraS3
April 25th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Pretty sure epa fine is so many $/cc of displacement

In an s3 you won't get done unless you get nabbed running a c63 to 250 lol

My missus mk7 gti with apr stage 1 struggles 1st and 2nd
Apart from sticky tyres and a mech diff, you don't need 'more power' in that thing

There have been times when I've almost felt a clunk with 1st to 2nd gear changes under full acceleration and launch included with apr satge1. 95% of the time it's been perfectly seamless, but it does make me wonder about the longevity and added stress, especially if you went stage 2.

Standing start a c63 would not have a chance against a stage 1 s3, but give me a c63 anyday haha

schoona
April 25th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Stage 2 I can't see being as much of a gain but certainly brings it closer to the absolute limit

Of was in relation to the stg 3 gti link. Traction is a big problem in hers.

Oh I'd love a c63 for sure too! Haha. You'd have to be in that kind of act to generally be worried about high flow/no cat was all I meant

CanberraS3
April 25th, 2015, 09:08 PM
Stage 2 I can't see being as much of a gain but certainly brings it closer to the absolute limit

Of was in relation to the stg 3 gti link. Traction is a big problem in hers.

Oh I'd love a c63 for sure too! Haha. You'd have to be in that kind of act to generally be worried about high flow/no cat was all I meant

e

Tranction obviously won't ever be the problem, but more strain on the gear box , clutch and diff 2+ would be a huge concern.

to be honest some after market noise to stage 1 would be more than enough. The effortless way the car pulls through gears even under low revs in 3rd, 4th and 5th is rediclious for such a small engine.... Hold on give me 6 months and I'll be lining up for a big turbo!

roadrunner
April 25th, 2015, 10:19 PM
If I floor my S3 in the wet in a straight line I get massive judder from the front due to traction control.It is a problem on the S3, even in the dry when flooring it in low gears in a hard corner the front freaks out. I am disappointed with the amount of FWD bias and the lag to send to the rear. Even with a tune I would like the S3 to be less conservative....it get to speed very rapidly, but in a very conservative manner.... I am undecided if it was the right car to buy, but too late now...435i GC perhaps wuld have been a better choice

CanberraS3
April 25th, 2015, 10:47 PM
If I floor my S3 in the wet in a straight line I get massive judder from the front due to traction control.It is a problem on the S3, even in the dry when flooring it in low gears in a hard corner the front freaks out. I am disappointed with the amount of FWD bias and the lag to send to the rear. Even with a tune I would like the S3 to be less conservative....it get to speed very rapidly, but in a very conservative manner.... I am undecided if it was the right car to buy, but too late now...435i GC perhaps wuld have been a better choice

At 30 plus k is that a fair comparison though?

To to be faiir there seems to be a huge jump in price from the four pot audis, mercs and 6 m135i to the next step in german performance cars. To put things into perspective theire are after market twin turbo club sports' favs punching 1000nm that can't get to 100k as quickly as a tuned s3. Daily driver, and stealth wise you can't really beat the bang for buck.

i know its off topic but I would be interested in hearing dominos thoughts on his brutal 600kw Godzilla and his meak s3....?

mobs
April 26th, 2015, 01:55 AM
If I floor my S3 in the wet in a straight line I get massive judder from the front due to traction control.It is a problem on the S3, even in the dry when flooring it in low gears in a hard corner the front freaks out.

Is this after a tune? My car is stock but it just goes with no fuss wet or dry, the traction control light never comes on etc.

roadrunner
April 26th, 2015, 08:57 AM

To to be faiir there seems to be a huge jump in price from the four pot audis, mercs and 6 m135i to the next step in german performance cars. To put things into perspective theire are after market twin turbo club sports' favs punching 1000nm that can't get to 100k as quickly as a tuned s3. Daily driver, and stealth wise you can't really beat the bang for buck.

i know its off topic but I would be interested in hearing dominos thoughts on his brutal 600kw Godzilla and his meak s3....?
True, I just miss a 6 cylinder from my past 3 BMW's. The S3 is super smooth and gets to 100 quickly with the APR, but does so very calmly and doesn't feel like it is ever out of control... I miss the brutality of my 1M's power delivery, my wife does not ;)

The S3 is a great car, don't get me wrong.... would perhaps be greater with the S4's engine in it?

domino_z
April 26th, 2015, 01:29 PM

lol yes having the GTR has been a problem for my dailys, and completely messed up my appreciation and expectation of speed

when I bought my Evo x I fell into the trap of immediately modding, a) because like for like parts were so much cheaper compared to the r35, and b) because it just never felt gas fast

i ended up stopping at 300 awkw with a high flow turbo, cams and full Dodson dual clutch trans

was a fun build, but ultimately I breached the peak of driveability at around the 250awkw mark

so lessen learnt for me was to not go as far with next daily

strangely I'm not that eager to mod the s3 as I was the Evo when I first bought it, and mainly because the torque at low revs seems quite adequate to get the car moving quite quickly and effortlessly

more of a priority for me with the s3 is sorting the chassis. Sways have helped but the car still moves around when loaded up in a corner and I'm positive it's sidewall flex in the conti's. If anything I'll be swapping out to some mpss before I do the apr tune

as for power difference to GTR, it's chalk and cheese, with high flow ball bearing turbos the throttle response is pretty much instant and imo far too fast for the street. Even hill runs it build speed bw corners so quickly that you end up just riding the midrange torque and short shifting. If you try to rev it out you're gaining so much speed that you lose fluidity to taking corners and end up spending more time on the brakes than enjoying the lead into bends

GTR is longest I've owned a car, and only because there's nothing to replace it with to provide same level of grip vs power

but I'm at crossroads now where I want something new and resigned myself that nothing will replace the acceleration anyway for sane money, and looking for a new project to instead now go a completely different route - high power rwd. Once I decide on what to buy next, I'll start advertising the GTR

scary thought though is how affordable early model gtr's are becoming now and how much performance is being put into hands of a completely different demographic. You can get big power dyno queens from supercharging hsv's etc, but my GTR will run low 10s on 21" Michelin pilots on the street and for what will be pitched to public in the 130k's

i think the r35 will become the next used car buy of the decade

roadrunner
April 26th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Chassis on the S3 is pretty well sorted, slight understeer at the limit, but I see that wider up front may help that. Track day in May booked, so will know true issues then.

domino_z
April 26th, 2015, 04:32 PM
The RS3 is running a 19x8.5 up front and S3 spec brake and wheels in rear

im thinking of putting a 245/35 on all 4 wheels

roadrunner
April 26th, 2015, 05:21 PM
The RS3 is running a 19x8.5 up front and S3 spec brake and wheels in rear

im thinking of putting a 245/35 on all 4 wheels
Yeah, also thing 245/35 Michelin PSS all round....that's the max for the S3's 19x7.5. May go new wheels that are 19x8.5 and do 255/35's, but then a significant weight increase. I need to see how the car does on the track next month.

gbernard
April 26th, 2015, 06:56 PM
What is the largest tyre that can be fitted to the 18' dual spokes ? I have been looking everywhere for details but have not found anything.

roadrunner
April 26th, 2015, 07:20 PM
What is the largest tyre that can be fitted to the 18' dual spokes ? I have been looking everywhere for details but have not found anything.
Look under the 'Specs' here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport

domino_z
April 26th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Yeah, also thing 245/35 Michelin PSS all round....that's the max for the S3's 19x7.5. May go new wheels that are 19x8.5 and do 255/35's, but then a significant weight increase. I need to see how the car does on the track next month.

the stock 19s are 8" wide

Timbo
April 26th, 2015, 07:33 PM
.....more of a priority for me with the s3 is sorting the chassis. Sways have helped but the car still moves around when loaded up in a corner and I'm positive it's sidewall flex in the conti's. If anything I'll be swapping out to some mpss before I do the apr tune

If you look back at some of the old 8P S3 threads, you'll find best results (track times) were achieved with Bridgestone RE 050As, which have stiffer sidewalls than the MPSS with not much difference in the compound. These seem to suit the FWD bias of the car, and I guess it's no coincidence they're what Renault uses for their Megane Nürburgring laps. The downside is that ride can be a tad harsh, and they can become noisy as the tyre wears.

schoona
April 26th, 2015, 07:59 PM
And wet weather compromise vs mpss?

gbernard
April 26th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Look under the 'Specs' here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport

thanks roadrunner, what is the standard wheel size , 18" x ??

Timbo
April 26th, 2015, 08:39 PM
And wet weather compromise vs mpss?

Better! MPSS are nothing special in the wet (I think there was an EVO test that showed MPS3 were better in the wet)

I have nothing against MPSS - it's just that they are not best suited to FWD-biased chassis

roadrunner
April 26th, 2015, 10:08 PM
the stock 19s are 8" wide
true, sorry meant 18" are 7.5"

mp2811
April 30th, 2015, 07:49 AM
I saw on APR facebook page that Tune/Intake on MK7R first official 11.96 at 114. Into the 11's we go!

mic151
April 30th, 2015, 04:54 PM
I saw on APR facebook page that Tune/Intake on MK7R first official 11.96 at 114. Into the 11's we go!

Wow, I'll be stoked to dip into 11's. Fitting the downpipe tomorrow, have the intake on already, then APR tune next week. Will be going to Eastern Creek in next few weeks for 1/4 mile.

11013mb
April 30th, 2015, 06:22 PM
Could someone perhaps elaborate on Haldex tuning and its application on the 8V S3

APR - High Performance Development for Audi, VW and Porsche Vehicles. (http://www.goapr.com.au/products/haldex.html)

roadrunner
April 30th, 2015, 07:38 PM
Could someone perhaps elaborate on Haldex tuning and its application on the 8V S3

APR - High Performance Development for Audi, VW and Porsche Vehicles. (http://www.goapr.com.au/products/haldex.html)
Not released yet for the S3 8V. It is simply a flash tune to the transmission software. D will be slightly more aggressive and Dynamic less aggressive in holding redline from what the APR tuner told me.

andrewjamesdean
April 30th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Not released yet for the S3 8V. It is simply a flash tune to the transmission software. D will be slightly more aggressive and Dynamic less aggressive in holding redline from what the APR tuner told me.

Wouldn't a Haldex tune adjust the front/rear bias?

Timbo
April 30th, 2015, 09:09 PM
I'm not sure about the current generation, but with previous models, the Haldex "tune" is simply a box that enhances the reaction time of the Haldex unit, not the proportion of torque shifted front to rear.

roadrunner
April 30th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Wouldn't a Haldex tune adjust the front/rear bias?
I will ask, but don't believe so

11013mb
May 1st, 2015, 12:22 AM
Hmm..I think this refers to the DSG tune roadrunner as when.I got my stage 1 flashed mention of this resonates with DSG which will prevent upshift to highest gear possible on D and also make S more driveable as you mention and.with M mode will ensure it doesn't up shift but instead bounce off rev limiter. Good for tracking when you are coming into corners fast and want to accelerate out of it hard (also good if you are on skid pan)

btw have you taken your S3 to skid pan yet?

domino_z
May 1st, 2015, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure about the current generation, but with previous models, the Haldex "tune" is simply a box that enhances the reaction time of the Haldex unit, not the proportion of torque shifted front to rear.

It's mainly referred to as a Haldex controller - it's a physical unit that splices in to oem haldex harness and simply spikes the voltage to trick the rear diff into applying less or more lock

It's different to a DSG tune whereby you're remapping the actual tcu

Timbo
May 1st, 2015, 10:06 PM
More or less, or faster within existing parameters? That was my understanding of previous generation Haldex controllers. That is, if the maximum (stock) torque transfer to the rear is 80%, the controller doesn't change that, but does change the response time.

Samos
May 2nd, 2015, 06:42 PM
These obviously put your car out of warranty? I would be so tempted with these figures.

How does the car run after this flash in our weather?

domino_z
May 2nd, 2015, 07:05 PM
well that escalated quickly

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/scascone/S3/B5C428D8-DDD9-4CE3-B385-0A7041597493_zpsx51u8xc4.jpg

11013mb
May 2nd, 2015, 10:57 PM
These obviously put your car out of warranty? I would be so tempted with these figures.

How does the car run after this flash in our weather?
Brutally

CanberraS3
May 5th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Has anyone seen the the 0 - 60 numbers a guy from England is posting on another forum? He was one of the first to get the APR tune and just installed a down pipe into the OEM catback. He is claiming 3.2 second 0 to 60 times and is saying that the agter market downpipe turns the car into an absolute anima!!

mp2811
May 5th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Has anyone seen the the 0 - 60 numbers a guy from England is posting on another forum? He was one of the first to get the APR tune and just installed a down pipe into the OEM catback. He is claiming 3.2 second 0 to 60 times and is saying that the agter market downpipe turns the car into an absolute anima!!

Haven't seen that but makes it very tempting for Stage 2 if that much increase. I'm slowly heading that way. Next is DSG tune in June and if Stage 2 just requires DP then I will go that way. Don't want a full turbo back exhaust. Past having loud exhaust and prefer a more stealth look as I get older!

I would have thought stage 2 with DSG tune possible to be around 3.4-3.5 but 3.2 is WOW!

Samos
May 5th, 2015, 06:31 PM
Brutally

Brutally good or bad? :)

Or brutally out of warranty.. lol!

Samos
May 5th, 2015, 06:31 PM
Is that lowered? S3 looks unreal from that angle!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/scascone/S3/B5C428D8-DDD9-4CE3-B385-0A7041597493_zpsx51u8xc4.jpg

11013mb
May 5th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Brutally good or bad? :)

Or brutally out of warranty.. lol!
Hopefully no drama on warranty front and if there, you guys would be first to know

mp2811
May 6th, 2015, 03:57 AM
I just saw the youtube video of the stage 1 with BCS down pipe and intake. 3.15 0-60! Crazy fast!

Fab_R
May 6th, 2015, 05:15 AM
Please don't forget that this guy is not using proper timing equipment.
He is using video and timing from that which isn't accurate.

Followers of his thread are urging him to use something to measure accurately.

roadrunner
May 6th, 2015, 09:18 AM
I just saw the youtube video of the stage 1 with BCS down pipe and intake. 3.15 0-60! Crazy fast!
Not possible. I call BS on anything under 3.8 secs. A stage 1 with DP isn't going to break under 4 secs. Just like the bloke on the UK forums who claims his DTUK does 3.7 secs.

To put things in perspective, a V10 R8 does 0-60MPH in 3.4 (0-100KPH in 3.7) and I have had the pleasure of doing a run with one.... the R8 weighs 100kg more, but is 386kW and 530Nm!!

11013mb
May 6th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Not possible. I call BS on anything under 3.8 secs. A stage 1 with DP isn't going to break under 4 secs. Just like the bloke on the UK forums who claims his DTUK does 3.7 secs.

To put things in perspective, a V10 R8 does 0-60MPH in 3.4 (0-100KPH in 3.7) and I have had the pleasure of doing a run with one.... the R8 weighs 100kg more, but is 386kW and 530Nm!!
Yes I agree I was hesitant to consider that an stage one would pull less than 4 seconds. Audi claims 5 on stock so maybe just over 4 or towards 4.5 with Apr stage one

sammo
May 6th, 2015, 09:47 AM
If you watch the launch on his "3.15" run, the car has already started moving and bogged down (as it does) to gain traction. That's when he starts filimg - watch the tacho to see what I mean. You need very big, very sticky rubber and a lot more HP to get to 100km/h that quickly.

A.U.D.I.
May 6th, 2015, 10:46 AM
YouTube Link please, or even better - please embed :)

sammo
May 6th, 2015, 11:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz1aaVtmumQ

CanberraS3
May 6th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Agreed I read all about his way of measuring the time, but 3.2 or 3.8, you're never going to notice the difference when crusing the streets anyway. What I am most impressed about is how much of a difference the downpipe makes to the already very impressive stage 1 tune. It will be interesting to see the figurs on a satge 2 :_b:

KAMBO
May 6th, 2015, 12:27 PM

/snip pic

who did ya go with for the tune?!

CanberraS3
May 6th, 2015, 12:42 PM

APR tune and fiting a downpipe in about 6 weeks

mp2811
May 6th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Like other's have said, doesn't really matter exact time. I sure that stage 2 combined with DSG flash and car will be brutally fast! It will be more than I'll ever need and prob too much for street!

roadrunner
May 6th, 2015, 12:51 PM
All this obsession with 0-100 times which can only be achieved with LC. For me the reason I got the APR S1 tune was for more "punch" in daily driving and fun on the track, not to fiddle with LC. A truly quick can doesn't need LC, where as I doubt my S3 could even break 5.0 secs without it....stock probably 6 secs

mic151
May 6th, 2015, 04:14 PM
APR tune and fiting a downpipe in about 6 weeks

I am opposite in that I have the intake and downpipe on and don't have the tune yet. I was going to get stage 1 but I have the hardware necessary for stage 2 which isn't released yet. Not sure whether to wait for stage 2 or just get stage 1 and then pay the slight difference when stage 2 is ready (possibly still months away).

Samos
May 6th, 2015, 04:53 PM
If the stage 1 legit gets the car 0-100 in 4 secs flat, I am pretty stoked with that, particularly if the extra torque and kW don't put the components under too much stress.

It's German... has to be fairly bulletproof

mp2811
May 6th, 2015, 05:34 PM
I think lots will end up going stage 2 which will be around 300kw and 550nm! It's going to be super fast! that much power in a small hatch! I'm not overly concerned about the numbers, it's about how the car drives and feels and the enjoyment I get from driving it.

Gourmet
May 6th, 2015, 05:42 PM
I am opposite in that I have the intake and downpipe on and don't have the tune yet. I was going to get stage 1 but I have the hardware necessary for stage 2 which isn't released yet. Not sure whether to wait for stage 2 or just get stage 1 and then pay the slight difference when stage 2 is ready (possibly still months away).

Mic151 what is the car like with the intake and dump, noticeable difference?

aantss
May 6th, 2015, 06:19 PM

Also, which intake and dump are you running?

mp2811
May 6th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Speaking with my Tuner today and found out APR DP and stage 2 tune most likely released at end of year. Guess it gives us time to enjoy stage 1 for a while first. Maybe Xmas present for our cars!

richierichhsv
May 6th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Samos i dont think youll have any problem being bulletproof. I have a 08 8p s3 apr stage 2+ and havent had a problem yet.
If the stage 1 legit gets the car 0-100 in 4 secs flat, I am pretty stoked with that, particularly if the extra torque and kW don't put the components under too much stress.

It's German... has to be fairly bulletproof

11013mb
May 6th, 2015, 08:57 PM
All this obsession with 0-100 times which can only be achieved with LC. For me the reason I got the APR S1 tune was for more "punch" in daily driving and fun on the track, not to fiddle with LC. A truly quick can doesn't need LC, where as I doubt my S3 could even break 5.0 secs without it....stock probably 6 secs
Boss surely with apr it breaks 5 closer to four trust me
I'll go pro one without Lc and post

roadrunner
May 6th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Boss surely with apr it breaks 5 closer to four trust me
I'll go pro one without Lc and post
LOL...I'm pretty sure without LC, even with the S1 APR it won't break 5 secs. The S3 is pretty sluggish off the mark as there just seems to be that period of 'nothing' before it reacts to WOT. I find the DSG lag a frustrating part of the S3 and disconnect the driver feel and the MT would be better here, but obviously worse on LC. Today I was trying to do a quick 3-point turn and after engaging R and letting the brake go it still rolled forward almost into the curb...WTF!!! I wish I'd stuck to MT and taught my wife to drive MT :) ... maybe the APR DSG tune will fix things??

mfl
May 6th, 2015, 09:26 PM
LOL...I'm pretty sure without LC, even with the S1 APR it won't break 5 secs. The S3 is pretty sluggish off the mark as there just seems to be that period of 'nothing' before it reacts to WOT. I find the DSG lag a frustrating part of the S3 and disconnect the driver feel and the MT would be better here, but obviously worse on LC. Today I was trying to do a quick 3-point turn and after engaging R and letting the brake go it still rolled forward almost into the curb...WTF!!! I wish I'd stuck to MT and taught my wife to drive MT :) ... maybe the APR DSG tune will fix things??

yep had that happen twice to me, but jumped on the brakes before I hit the kerb/ other car.. A trick I read on the UK forum, was that if yuo push the lever into N just before you actually stop and then engage R, it speeds the engagement. Its does seem to help

mic151
May 6th, 2015, 11:01 PM

Intake I reckon is mainly sound... Some say there is quicker spool but I can't tell the difference. I had this on for about 4 weeks before I installed the dump last week. The dump on the other hand makes a difference even without the tune. Mid and top end is improved. At idle, seriously no sound difference which is what I wanted. WOT though, it is definitely a deeper growl.

mic151
May 6th, 2015, 11:19 PM
Also, which intake and dump are you running?
I have the CTS turbo intake but have modified the front air catchment area like that mentioned in the air intake thread. I also raised the walls of the heat shield to truly seal it from engine bay heat and to finish off, covered the entire outside of the box with 6mm thick heat/sound silver reflective insulation.

I bought the Bull-X dump from Emmanuel Design for the reasons I outlined in the exhaust options thread. It is truly a nice bit of gear and equal if not better than milltek (same HJS 200cell Cat and cast up the top where milltek is not. Also just under 3.5 inch straight from turbo allowing more flow). BUT it is made for left hand drive vehicles and was informed it would fit. It didn't initially due to the steering arm but thankfully the workshop was able to tig weld a couple of little extensions to have it fit nicely.

aantss
May 6th, 2015, 11:31 PM
I have the CTS turbo intake but have modified the front air catchment area like that mentioned in the air intake thread. I also raised the walls of the heat shield to truly seal it from engine bay heat and to finish off, covered the entire outside of the box with 6mm thick heat/sound silver reflective insulation.

I bought the Bull-X dump from Emmanuel Design for the reasons I outlined in the exhaust options thread. It is truly a nice bit of gear and equal if not better than milltek (same HJS 200cell Cat and cast up the top where milltek is not. Also just under 3.5 inch straight from turbo allowing more flow). BUT it is made for left hand drive vehicles and was informed it would fit. It didn't initially due to the steering arm but thankfully the workshop was able to tig weld a couple of little extensions to have it fit nicely.

Oh right, wonder it's possible to get one for right hand drive cars? Any noticeable performance improvement from just those two mods?

mic151
May 7th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Oh right, wonder it's possible to get one for right hand drive cars? Any noticeable performance improvement from just those two mods?
There are a few options and if willing to wait a little more, CTS turbo will have theirs ready within a month or two. I was speaking with them a fair bit and it sounds pretty good and will be at a good price point too. There are a few around with no cat but I wanted a cat to ensure it remains legal.

Yes there is a performance gain from bigger and less restrictive dump for sure. It's noticeable without tune but apparently the tune will bring the best out of it. Intake less so but with a tune, it does add a little. They claim increases of up to 15hp on an otherwise stock car. Not sure about that but my tuner has said they are getting an extra 6 or 7kw for a good intake setup when tuned.

mp2811
May 7th, 2015, 06:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZYWv-nTTkk

Samos
May 7th, 2015, 07:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZYWv-nTTkk

wtf

Gobsmacked!!!

roadrunner
May 7th, 2015, 08:43 PM
wtf

Gobsmacked!!!

I'll eat my hat if this is true :) His speedo is out for sure as he has non-OE wheels. Also, VBOX is the only way you can accurately measure for those obsessed with 0-100 times.

Note that the 3rd gear always changes at 60mph, so our 0-100kph (62mph) is always going to suffer by the change

mp2811
May 7th, 2015, 09:23 PM
I'll eat my hat if this is true :) His speedo is out for sure as he has non-OE wheels. Also, VBOX is the only way you can accurately measure for those obsessed with 0-100 times.

Note that the 3rd gear always changes at 60mph, so our 0-100kph (62mph) is always going to suffer by the change

Yeah, I don't believe it's that fast. Just find him entertaining giving his thoughts on Stage 1 tune previously and now the Down pipe. Obviously stage 2 and DSG tune combo once both out should be sensational!

roadrunner
May 7th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I don't believe it's that fast. Just find him entertaining giving his thoughts on Stage 1 tune previously and now the Down pipe. Obviously stage 2 and DSG tune combo once both out should be sensational!
Yeah, he'll get 2.5 secs with the stage 2 no doubt ;)

Samos
May 7th, 2015, 10:12 PM

I'm not obsessed by numbers, but damn, even if I can pull 0-100 in 3.8 secs call me content 100%! I just like the idea of that. So much car for the price if that's legit!

roadrunner
May 7th, 2015, 10:42 PM
I'm not obsessed by numbers, but damn, even if I can pull 0-100 in 3.8 secs call me content 100%! I just like the idea of that. So much car for the price if that's legit!
Yes, but if you don't engage LC it will be around 5 secs with the APR, and around 6 in stock form. I rekon a MT S3 will beat a DSG S3 in non-LC. Manufacturers should have to publish times using LC and non-LC, because IMO it is misleading as to the car's general speed off the line in everyday driving conditions....the APR S1 somewhat improves the slow response, but I hope their DSG tune removes the lag further. I assume the lag Audi's way of protecting the transmission??

That BCS downpipe is a great design compared to Remus, Milltek etc. It places the cat far back from the turbo. I am unsure why he refers to it as being very noisy to start with, but then quieting down...makes no sense??

domino_z
May 7th, 2015, 10:55 PM

went with Dean Cootes @ faststuff

domino_z
May 7th, 2015, 10:56 PM
Is that lowered? S3 looks unreal from that angle!

just wheel spacers - 15r and 10f

mp2811
May 7th, 2015, 11:00 PM
went with Dean Cootes @ faststuff

He's a top guy. Can't recommend him enough! I'm sure he was good to deal with for you!

domino_z
May 7th, 2015, 11:03 PM
i was recommended Dean by a good friend of mine Daniel McCoey who was running RTR when they built my evo x

roadrunner
May 7th, 2015, 11:07 PM
So if you buy the new APR downpipe, you get the Stage 2 upgrade free

mp2811
May 7th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Yes, but if you don't engage LC it will be around 5 secs with the APR, and around 6 in stock form. I rekon a MT S3 will beat a DSG S3 in non-LC. Manufacturers should have to publish times using LC and non-LC, because IMO it is misleading as to the car's general speed off the line in everyday driving conditions....the APR S1 somewhat improves the slow response, but I hope their DSG tune removes the lag further. I assume the lag Audi's way of protecting the transmission??

That BCS downpipe is a great design compared to Remus, Milltek etc. It places the cat far back from the turbo. I am unsure why he refers to it as being very noisy to start with, but then quieting down...makes no sense??

I totally agree about the times LC vs not. I personally don't plan on using launch control so having best set up for response off mark, acceleration and drivablility my goal. I think Stage 2 with DSG tune and pedal box I should be pretty darn happy!!

I also really like the BCS downpipe design with cat further back. I think APR will be the same looking at the GTI one. I'll prob get APR one as looks like lots of R&D going into it, try to get at either Xmas or End of financial year next year sale so prob work out same price as cheaper one taking into account free upgrade to Stage 2 software.

I'm booked in for HP DSG tune mid June. I will give feedback about it once done.

mp2811
May 7th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Roadrunner, Great Minds! I was just looking at that and writing post about same! Yep, free upgrade to stage 2. Taking that into account and generally 10% off sales, I think it's a good option.

Samos
May 7th, 2015, 11:46 PM

That's a good point, I forget about LC. Definitely not something i'd use as a daily.

Food for thought!

mp2811
May 11th, 2015, 03:56 AM
http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22434&stc=1I took this off VWgolf net comparing mk6 stage 2+ with every bolt on and mk7R stage 1 APR with r600 intake. Obviously shows much better power and better AFR in the MK7! Good comparison between models!

aantss
May 11th, 2015, 11:00 AM
At what kms have people been flashing at? I'm almost at 1000 and itching to get it done.

andrewjamesdean
May 11th, 2015, 11:12 AM
If I was going to do it, I'd probably wait until after my first service. Just so that I had a bit more peace of mind that my car had just been inspected by Audi and all was tracking well

radem12
May 11th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Anyone running an APR flash or have experience with APR?

I had my 8P flashed with these guys Prestige Auto Works Australia @ Airport West for $1150 and it's been worth it, apart from the performance boost I've also been using less fuel, now do 640km with a full tank instead of the ~570km.

11013mb
May 11th, 2015, 11:27 AM
On an 8P you get about 640km on a full tank?
You must be driving on alot of highways primarily , right?

I had my 8P flashed with these guys Prestige Auto Works Australia @ Airport West for $1150 and it's been worth it, apart from the performance boost I've also been using less fuel, now do 640km with a full tank instead of the ~570km.

roadrunner
May 11th, 2015, 11:27 AM
If I was going to do it, I'd probably wait until after my first service. Just so that I had a bit more peace of mind that my car had just been inspected by Audi and all was tracking well
Inspected by Audi...LOL. Trust me they don't do much inspecting, it is all about turn-around. What are they going to inspect other than a diagnostic, brakes, fluids. You are better off using a good indep garage than dealership service.

At what kms have people been flashing at? I'm almost at 1000 and itching to get it done.
1200km

11013mb
May 14th, 2015, 12:13 AM
Took the car out for a nice hard run..in Sydney tonight about 8-10 degrees around inner west area. Cold air + APR stage 1 tune makes me and my S3 very happy :)
Canberra folks must be used to this temperature.

Must say, car felt special tonight. Was in sport traction mode powering through M and S mode and just amazing.

ZIO
May 14th, 2015, 02:25 AM
Can anybody recommend an APR dealer in Victoria for stage one for S3 8v?

mike
May 14th, 2015, 02:30 AM

Ring Dean @ Faststuff

www.faststuff.net.au

roadrunner
May 14th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Stage 2 results released APR High Output 2.0 TSI/TFSI Gen3 ECU Upgrade for the MQB Platform (http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb_r.html)

fastgun
May 14th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Stage 2 results released APR High Output 2.0 TSI/TFSI Gen3 ECU Upgrade for the MQB Platform (http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb_r.html)

Ok, so that is 285KW and 525 NM in our terms.... Stage 1 seems to be the best bang for buck it seems, considering a downpipe will likely be $1,600-$1,800 incl.

So to do the math:

Stage 1 = $1,695 for 264KW and 513 NM

Stage 2 = $1,695 + $1,600* = $3,295 for 285KW and 525 NM (incl of free Stage 2 software)

So $1600* for an extra 21KW and 12NM. Considering Torque is what you want in street conditions and KW make the difference at 6,000rpm IMO stage 2 is not the go for the estimated price, where it could be good is the response times, as reported by Dandan Fings (UK guy with the stopwatch 3.2 sec S3 ��)

* TBA and this is just a guess going on past pricing.

roadrunner
May 14th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Ok, so that is 285KW and 525 NM in our terms.... Stage 1 seems to be the best bang for buck it seems, considering a downpipe will likely be $1,600-$1,800 incl.

So to do the math:

Stage 1 = $1,695 for 264KW and 513 NM

Stage 2 = $1,695 + $1,600* = $3,295 for 285KW and 525 NM (incl of free Stage 2 software)

So $1600* for an extra 21KW and 12NM. Considering Torque is what you want in street conditions and KW make the difference at 6,000rpm IMO stage 2 is not the go for the estimated price, where it could be good is the response times, as reported by Dandan Fings (UK guy with the stopwatch 3.2 sec S3 😉)

* TBA and this is just a guess going on past pricing.
I understand the stage 2 required the DP. You basically buy the DP and get S2 free if you already have the S1.

The DP will make the car VERY responsive. I'd opt for the DP and stay on S1 as I think S2 to pushing the limits of the DSG.

11013mb
May 14th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Do you all think hardware changes to the 8V is a good idea? I would maybe consider it, but perhaps after some time.... Or I could keep the S3 for a bit and then try to buy the RS3 ;)

mp2811
May 14th, 2015, 09:28 AM
I'm guessing that our result will be 300-305kw going by same gains as US. Was hoping higher torque over 550 but in reading article they deliberately kept torque under point of clutch slippage! I'm guessing once DSG tune released they will offer tune with higher torque.

Seems gives better low end response and high end. Pretty costly per KW though! Guessing will be around $2000 for DP installed!

roadrunner
May 14th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Do you all think hardware changes to the 8V is a good idea? I would maybe consider it, but perhaps after some time.... Or I could keep the S3 for a bit and then try to buy the RS3 ;)
I won't be going DP or S2 for a few years. S1 is enough and a good balance. DP will certainly void warranty too. If you have the $, then the RS3 is a clear choice, but at $100k there are a lot of other fast cars in that segment, especially second hand <2 years old.

11013mb
May 14th, 2015, 06:50 PM
ZIO!! Capitulation to to itch aye..itch for torque!

Remarcabull
May 14th, 2015, 07:05 PM
Apr tune with Apr air intake, on MAHA dyno, doesn't seem the same on what's quoted on the site. Missing 50nm?

Maybe with the down pipe you will get what they specify on the site with a few kws more?
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/14/dae1fc38034f2d86afd701c81f409740.jpg

roadrunner
May 14th, 2015, 08:46 PM
I believe that the DP is mandatory for the stage 2

CanberraS3
May 15th, 2015, 01:57 PM
I believe that the DP is mandatory for the stage 2

Someone I know in Canberra that has been running the APR stage 1 for a while got a DP installed last week and he said that it has completley transformed the car and taken it to the next level. There has been a big difference in throttle response and turbo and the car feels a lot quicker under WOT.

I'm booked in to get in done on Tuesday

fastgun
May 15th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Someone I know in Canberra that has been running the APR stage 1 for a while got a DP installed last week and he said that it has completley transformed the car and taken it to the next level. There has been a big difference in throttle response and turbo and the car feels a lot quicker under WOT.

What brand of downpipe? I am assume Milltek as they seem in stock.

CanberraS3
May 15th, 2015, 02:33 PM
What brand of downpipe? I am assume Milltek as they seem in stock.

I had initially ordered another brand, but long story short I ended up with Milltek. Some of the OS brands are only made for left hand drive vehicles as well.

Turbo spool is much quicker with the downpipe

domino_z
May 15th, 2015, 04:16 PM
interesting

can definitely accept that a catless dp will improve throttle response

just wondering if it'll make the car too loud

are you guys going hfc dp or completely catless?

roadrunner
May 15th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Try to go with a DP with a high flow cat which locates the cat away from the turbo. The only ones that seem to have done this are APR & BCS. Milltek's is still right at the turbo

CanberraS3
May 15th, 2015, 05:00 PM
interesting

I went with the HFC.

I looked into other brands but couldn't find anything that was avliable such as APR. Hopefully Milltek will do a good job

mp2811
May 15th, 2015, 06:40 PM

That sounds perfect, exactly what I'm looking for! I will prob wait towards end of year though and see once APR DP released and hopefully on sale! Otherwise I would probably get the BCS DP. Fantastic quality and reviews in UK! Checked and under $1500 delivered with heat wrap or 1400 without. Think that's $600 less than milltek and I prefer the set up having the Cat further along pipe!

Samos
May 15th, 2015, 07:26 PM
interesting

Sounds damn juicy to me!

Where is everyone getting is done in Melbourne?

mic151
May 15th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Try to go with a DP with a high flow cat which locates the cat away from the turbo. The only ones that seem to have done this are APR & BCS. Milltek's is still right at the turbo

Any reason why you suggest this. I read that the closer to the turbo the better as the higher heat makes the cat flow better. Lower down and it is a little more restrictive.

mp2811
May 15th, 2015, 08:41 PM
Sounds damn juicy to me!

Where is everyone getting is done in Melbourne?

Place to go for APR in melb is fast stuff! Dean has mk7R with full milltek exhaust and stage 2 set up! Races his car and his customer service is second to none!

CanberraS3
May 15th, 2015, 10:35 PM
Any reason why you suggest this. I read that the closer to the turbo the better as the higher heat makes the cat flow better. Lower down and it is a little more restrictive.

Good question. I'm unsure, what are the benefits of having it further down the plumbing, heat soak?

roadrunner
May 15th, 2015, 11:07 PM
Too much resistance too close to the turbo. Further away from the turbo allows faster spool time. Just repeating what a reputable tuner told me.... happy to know which is better if have info??

CanberraS3
May 15th, 2015, 11:21 PM
Too much resistance too close to the turbo. Further away from the turbo allows faster spool time. Just repeating what a reputable tuner told me.... happy to know which is better if have info??

Im reading a lot of conflicting info haha. How much real time ( behind the wheel) are we taking between each set up? Surly bugger all. What I'm sure of is the stock dp is like dating Michael Hutchense.

satanic
May 15th, 2015, 11:23 PM
^ What roadrunner said... (kinda)

You want to be able to get exhaust gases away from the system as quickly & freely as possible, so it makes sense to move anything that could become restrictors / reflectors down towards the back where the effect would be minimized.

Spool-time doesn't have much or anything to do with a cat / exhaust system because everything's happened by the time it gets to those parts of the system. You'll achieve faster buildup of boost (or conversely reduce turbo lag) if you tailor your engine & turbo combination so they complement each other. Because engines are so expensive to 'change', most tuners address this by changing the turbo with something else, or changing components of the turbo (namely the exhaust housing). For a certain sized engine, a certain range of turbo would be useable without generating too much lag, just got to find that balance because (in the absence of engine changes) lowering the lag generally results in lowering the max power achievable too (and vice versa).

schoona
May 16th, 2015, 11:42 PM
Sorry that's complete bs ^

On my 1jz I have a catless downpipe, 80mm titanium exhaust with the 1 rear muffler

For blue slip, 2.5" mild steel pipe, cat added to front pipe and pretty restrictive rear muffler.

There was a difference of 8 psi and about 500 rpm of spool lost with the blue slip pipe

Exhausts have a huge effect

Heating the cat up quicker keeps it hotter and aids in gas conversion
Moving it further away gives the gas a bit of time to cool and makes it less effective
Seeing as cooler air moves slower, it provides a restriction.
The velocity of exhaust gas is that quick that a restriction on down pipe or front pipe will make no difference.
Cfm will still take x time to fill up the exhaust before you start looking at a pressure differential pre/post turbo which is not favourable for response

satanic
May 17th, 2015, 01:49 AM
I don't see how what I posted is complete BS and how your example invalidates what I've said.

My point was that turbo lag can be reduced by getting the pairing between engine and turbocharger setup optimised. The paragraph before that did state the aim of the game was to get rid of exhaust gases as quickly and freely as possible (unlike NA cars which need a certain amount of back pressure).

What you're comparing is a drop in power / increase in lag after 'clogging up the system' with your restrictive blue slip items. At no point am I suggesting you'd be able to achieve less lag with engine & turbo config without looking at the exhaust... Think about it like constipation, that **** ain't got nowhere to go and no amount of pushing (fast / slow) is going to help.

You've also contradicted yourself in saying the cooler air provides restriction and also saying the velocity of air in the system will neutralise any difference.

Reality is that your exhaust gases are not going to cool down by any significant amount from turbo to exit because 1) exhaust gas would be pretty constant when you're mashing the pedal to make power (if not growing exponentially as you go up the RPM range), 2) the temperature of the air preceding your cooled down air would serve to maintain temps / reduce rate of cooling and 3) exhaust systems get hot because they are metal, a heat conductor, so that in itself will cause heat soak and warm up said cooling air.

For the record, most concerns about cats are to do with flow... Which is addressed using different materials. Once a cat is heated up, after startup, it will have no problems with ongoing gas conversion. How efficient it is depends on how well your car mixes fuel & air to remain within the stoichiometric range where the cat will be most efficient.

Sent from my iPhone

mp2811
May 17th, 2015, 07:17 AM
Satanic, good info there. You're spot on about getting right turbo size to match engine. That's the comprimise bigger turbo, more lag and more power or smaller turbo less power and better response.

It's very impressive nowadays with these modern engines and turbo's like these making power from 1800 to red line. Will be super impressive basic bolt ons stage 2 basically having 400hp car with almost no turbo lag.

A.U.D.I.
May 17th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Lots of theories and opinions APU.
VAG use BASF cats and BASF state on their web site; closer to manifold is better. It reduces its light off time. Improved construction designs mean their efficiency at lower temperatures has improved therefore becoming effective more quickly.
They note that the closer coupling of the cat to the manifold reduces back pressure bottlenecks which affect performance.

BASF
Mobile Emissions Catalysts - BASF Catalysts - The Global Leader in Catalysis (http://www.catalysts.basf.com/p02/USWeb-Internet/catalysts/en/content/microsites/catalysts/prods-inds/mobile-emissions/index)

satanic
May 17th, 2015, 12:12 PM
LOL, what BASF don't say is that their cats are one big back pressure bottle neck to begin with (for environmental reasons of course). The day you start seeing a cat on a race car, the day you know they've cracked this problem.

There has been some interesting stuff happening in the turbocharging space, from twin-charging to triple turbo systems, to positioning compared to traditional applications (eg in between piston banks). All of it will lead to more efficient ways of making power and by efficient I simply mean less loss. Man has already proven it can make stupid amount of power, it just needs to make it sustainable and easier to achieve.

Mercedes revolutionised the way one can think about a turbo setup via their F1 programme... The setup being so efficient at making and holding boost it is currently thrashing the field by unspoken margins.

Electronic turbos (ref latest a Audi concepts) will further change the game as mainstream integration will mean units won't just rely on mechanical forces go operate, but be on-demand. Imagine that, no more sounding stupid at the lights with LC revving at 4.5k rpm... Just holding down a button that spins up the turbo building boost silently (relatively).

Sent from my iPhone

mobs
May 17th, 2015, 02:47 PM
no more sounding stupid ... with LC revving at 4.5k rpm..

correction, sounding awesome.

schoona
May 17th, 2015, 08:15 PM
So what's the engineering reason behind cat placement in dumps ?

Full agree that turbo matched to engine is the greatest discriminator between response and power (and characteristics of), however all things being equal, the exhaust is going to have the major influence on standard turbo cars, >95% here

satanic
May 17th, 2015, 09:49 PM

Full agree that turbo matched to engine is the greatest discriminator between response and power (and characteristics of), however all things being equal, the exhaust is going to have the major influence on standard turbo cars, >95% here

My most educated guess would be that it's 100% to do with getting emission levels as low as possible to meet requirements that are getting ever more stringent.

The closer it is to the engine & turbo, the faster it would reach 'light off' point where it works most efficiently (for the range of AFRs).

I have no idea how the global measuring bodies test for emissions on new cars, but I highly doubt it's done at WOT. Same as when enthusiasts have their cars sent to the EPA for emissions testing, it's only ever done at low-mid RPM ranges, so I'm guessing the positioning of the cat helps with this.

Some cars have multiple cats in the exhaust system, presume it's to achieve the same thing. Doubt any manufacturer would go to the added expense of adding a second / third cat if it wasn't going to deliver a specific result, in this case lower emission levels to either get the vehicle passed / passed into a certain category.

schoona
May 18th, 2015, 07:14 AM
But why the difference in the 2 aftermarket dumps :s

satanic
May 18th, 2015, 11:27 AM
But why the difference in the 2 aftermarket dumps :s

No idea, point of difference maybe? Tuning companies usually elaborate on such things to explain / sell their product so if they're staying silent on it I'd say it's one of those things that comes down to their engineers' preferences / experience / training.

fastgun
May 19th, 2015, 09:05 AM

And here is Revo's, looks like their CAT is in the middle...

Anybody running a Revo tune, especially stage 2 with the Revo gear?

Now we have seen Dyno's an other results that show the APR Stage 1 is not as aggressive as been advertised; Dyno Run on Golf R run in Sydney on 1/5/15 here (https://www.facebook.com/232409833464848/photos/pcb.901328379906320/901328236573001/?type=1&theater) however Revo claim the power they make is ATW, somehow I think that is either astonishing or misleading, what do you guys think? Check out their Stage 1 and Stage 2 Blog Post here (http://blog.revotechnik.com/2-0tsi-mk7-stage-2-software-release-for-vw-golf-r-audi-s3-and-seat-leon/) and their WW webpage here (http://www.revotechnik.com/product-details/software/audi/s3/181/stage-1).

satanic
May 19th, 2015, 10:14 AM
I stopped reading when they put BHP and ATW in the same sentence.

Sent from my iPhone

mp2811
May 19th, 2015, 10:16 AM
And here is Revo's, looks like their CAT is in the middle...

Now we have seen Dyno's an other results that show the APR Stage 1 is not as aggressive as been advertised; Dyno Run on Golf R run in Sydney on 1/5/15 here (https://www.facebook.com/232409833464848/photos/pcb.901328379906320/901328236573001/?type=1&theater) however Revo claim the power they make is ATW, somehow I think that is either astonishing or misleading, what do you guys think? Check out their Stage 1 and Stage 2 Blog Post here (http://blog.revotechnik.com/2-0tsi-mk7-stage-2-software-release-for-vw-golf-r-audi-s3-and-seat-leon/) and their WW webpage here (http://www.revotechnik.com/product-details/software/audi/s3/181/stage-1).

Thats the lowest APR dyno I've seen but still good power! 220kw at wheels. Seems between 370-390 hp stage 1 with intake. All other dyno have shown well over 500nm torque! As it's been mentioned numerous times dyno numbers not the fully accurate. We've now seen stage 1 apr get 11.9 and stage 2 11.7 1/4 mile. Guessing once add DSG tune will be 11-5-11.6. Obviously must be making 400hp or close for those results!

I've only seen one dyno of stage 1 revo and that was 195 at wheels! That's well down on APR and their website claims!

CanberraS3
May 19th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Car is currently getting the Milltek Dp installed and should be ready around lunch time. Turbo delete should be in by the end of the week

A.U.D.I.
May 19th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Car is currently getting the Milltek Dp installed and should be ready around lunch time. Turbo delete should be in by the end of the week
What does a turbo muffler delete do? Just 'enhance' sound?

http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22523&stc=1
http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22524&stc=1

fastgun
May 19th, 2015, 02:43 PM

I presume it removes the Muff - smooth is always my preference :_b:

domino_z
May 19th, 2015, 04:04 PM

lightens your wallet offering an improved power to weight ratio

CanberraS3
May 19th, 2015, 07:25 PM

http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22523&stc=1
http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22524&stc=1

From what I've read nothing really,certainly no power improvements that you'd notice. All noise and hopefully enough to make it worth it.

now the dp is another thing entirely.....wow what a dinference!

roadrunner
May 19th, 2015, 07:32 PM
From what I've read nothing really,certainly no power improvements that you'd notice. All noise and hopefully enough to make it worth it.

now the dp is another thing entirely.....wow what a dinference!

Yeah turbo muffler delete is a joke ;)

DP...what's the difference.... more response? It is really loud? You went with the Milltek? How much was the install in $ & hours?

CanberraS3
May 19th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Yeah turbo muffler delete is a joke ;)

DP...what's the difference.... more response? It is really loud? You went with the Milltek? How much was the install in $ & hours?

It's been raining all dY in the Nations Capital so I haven't got to put the car through its full paces.

Noise, haven't really noticed an exhaust difference, but the air intake and turbo seem to be a little louder.

In the wet There is 0 traction in 1st, minimal in second and at times wheel spin in 3rd. It pull harder earlier and much stronger through the rev range. Full boost is neck snappingly good! It should also improve in the coming days!

mp2811
May 19th, 2015, 07:55 PM
It's been raining all dY in the Nations Capital so I haven't got to put the car through its full paces.

Noise, haven't really noticed an exhaust difference, but the air intake and turbo seem to be a little louder.

In the wet There is 0 traction in 1st, minimal in second and at times wheel spin in 3rd. It pull harder earlier and much stronger through the rev range. Full boost is neck snappingly good! It should also improve in the coming days!

That's awesome. I was was very close to buying the BCS DP today but after speaking with tuner have decided to wait until Stage 2 software released and DP. Will just enjoy the added DSG tune for 6 months and then xmas present DP/Stage 2! exciting times ahead!

A.U.D.I.
May 19th, 2015, 11:01 PM
Full boost is neck snappingly good! It should also improve in the coming days!
You'll be needing a steady stream of new brakes too I assume :)
http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22527&stc=1

roadrunner
May 20th, 2015, 08:23 AM
You'll be needing a steady stream of new brakes too I assume :)

Photoshop at its best LOL

200sxr
May 20th, 2015, 12:28 PM

The primary reason why the catalytic converters are as close to the engine is for the them to get up to operating temp as quickly as possible as very high percentage of the pollution is emitted at the startup / warm up phase. Secondly as catalytic converters need heat to work, for street driven cars to ensure the "cat" maintains the optimal operation temp it has to be as close to the heat source as possible. The reason why I highlighted street car is for those who had a tracked their "street" cars seriously would know what the excess heat with prolonged WOT would do to the "cat", for this reason WRC cars have their "cats" at the rear of the exhaust systems.

Secondly with regards to your comment on turbo sizing, I would go one step further and say the configuration of the turbo housing (A/R, size of compressor / turbine, single / twin scroll etc) is also very important to the overall response of the engine.

200sxr
May 20th, 2015, 12:42 PM
I have no idea how the global measuring bodies test for emissions on new cars, but I highly doubt it's done at WOT. Same as when enthusiasts have their cars sent to the EPA for emissions testing, it's only ever done at low-mid RPM ranges, so I'm guessing the positioning of the cat helps with this.

There are various emission testing cycles for different regions and class of vehicle; most of the cycles are designed to simulate actual urban driving cycle and some also includes cold start. Essentially the cycle would include accelerating to a certain speed, cruising, deceleration, acceleration, etc over a time / distance. The acceleration is very gentle hence the engine does not have to work very hard during the cycle.

I have actually voluntarily taken a car in for EPA testing so I have some insights into the process.

mic151
May 20th, 2015, 03:17 PM
On the talk of exhausts and cats, does anyone know what the mid muffler (or resonator) towards the middle/back of the exhaust is like inside? Is it like the 1st pic below where there is not a straight through path for exhaust gases OR like the 2nd pic? Based on the shape (rectangular), I am thinking it is like the 1st.
http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22531&stc=1http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22532&stc=1

I know some guys have removed the entire resonator and put a straight pipe in there which has increased sound of exhaust. Rather than just going the straight pipe, if it is like the 1st pic, I would think a resonator like the 2nd would improve flow while still keeping noise down. Thoughts?

fastgun
May 20th, 2015, 04:05 PM
On the talk of exhausts and cats, does anyone know what the mid muffler (or resonator) towards the middle/back of the exhaust is like inside? Is it like the 1st pic below where there is not a straight through path for exhaust gases OR like the 2nd pic? Based on the shape (rectangular), I am thinking it is like the 1st.
http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22531&stc=1http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22532&stc=1

I know some guys have removed the entire resonator and put a straight pipe in there which has increased sound of exhaust. Rather than just going the straight pipe, if it is like the 1st pic, I would think a resonator like the 2nd would improve flow while still keeping noise down. Thoughts?

I have not cut mine open but yeah it's a Bosal exhaust that is wider and shorter than the first resonator. So you are after a better flow and lower noise? The likelihood is that a replacement resonator like one Remus make will set you back $400, plus fitting with minimal (maybe 30%) flow increase, whereas a straight pipe can be done anywhere for $300-$350 and you 100% flow increase, with yes a 15% louder exhaust, however I have had mine now for 3 months and its have quietened down nicely, especially since I have done 800km of highway driving in Dynamic Mode Engine sound mode recently.

The past weekend I though, let me set the Engine sound to dynamic and guess was it was on Dynamic already. I would say since getting it done, the car is now 10% louder at 3,000RPM, after 4,500 it sounds very close to Stock in Dynamic And Comfort Mode with no drone except on cold engine start for the first 60secs until the revs drop down to 800RPM.