PDA

View Full Version : APR flash tune

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

T_S3
February 3rd, 2016, 04:09 PM
Want control of my own flashing at home, not rely on APR agents. UniTronic lets you flash from home with LT & their cable.
Want to try lower torque and higher power option of UniTronic tune. APR has a higher torque and lower power. I think the S3 could benefit at the top end with more kW.
Have a few small annoyances with the DSG tune.
Concerned with the longevity of pushing +500Nm on the DQ250

Overall APR remains an outstanding tune, I can always go back to it free as stored for my VIN with APR.

I saw this yesterday on FB. Guy flashed TCU at home via Unitronic cable.

roadrunner
February 3rd, 2016, 04:18 PM
I saw this yesterday on FB. Guy flashed TCU at home via Unitronic cable.

Yes, UniTronic has good deals on ECU/TCU combos.

The deltas between APR and UniTronic are IIRC, basically UniTronic has +15kW and -40Nm.

Should have it loaded next week when I get the cable.

Note that the flash counter isn't reset with UniTronic, but upon a lot of research there is no evidence that a TD1 is automatically flagged based on flash counter. I suppose it could if the techs dug in and had a good look, but very unlikely and TD1 and doesn't really concern me. I notice that you can see the flash counter in VCDS (need to look at this further though)

I sent my box codes to UniTronic and both ECU & TCU are supported.

Remarcabull
February 3rd, 2016, 04:40 PM
Want control of my own flashing at home, not rely on APR agents. UniTronic lets you flash from home with LT & their cable.
Want to try lower torque and higher power option of UniTronic tune. APR has a higher torque and lower power. I think the S3 could benefit at the top end with more kW.
Have a few small annoyances with the DSG tune.
Concerned with the longevity of pushing +500Nm on the DQ250

Overall APR remains an outstanding tune, I can always go back to it free as stored for my VIN with APR.

thats great, do they do a RS3 tune? also how long is the flash time and will it raise a TD1 flag?

roadrunner
February 3rd, 2016, 04:50 PM
thats great, do they do a RS3 tune? also how long is the flash time and will it raise a TD1 flag?

Doubt they do cars that aren't available in the US. Flash counter not reset. No reports of a TD1 after being released for the S3 12 months ago.

Their sales and tech support seem good. Much smaller operation than APR though.

Remarcabull
February 4th, 2016, 09:30 AM

The deltas between APR and UniTronic are IIRC, basically UniTronic has +15kW and -40Nm.

Note that the flash counter isn't reset with UniTronic, but upon a lot of research there is no evidence that a TD1 is automatically flagged based on flash counter. I suppose it could if the techs dug in and had a good look, but very unlikely and TD1 and doesn't really concern me. I notice that you can see the flash counter in VCDS (need to look at this further though)

You able to send me some links the purchase and info? seeing as i have stage 2 i think it would be fantastic to try at least.

roadrunner
February 4th, 2016, 09:42 AM
You able to send me some links the purchase and info? seeing as i have stage 2 i think it would be fantastic to try at least.
You have to buy through an agent such as ModdedEuros. There is an agent in QLD, but his pricing was excessive. There is no customs duty either as all they physically send is the $150 cable, not the software as that is downloaded. Here is UniTronic's web page: https://www.unitronic-chipped.com/ecu-tuning/Audi-S3-20L-TSI-Gen3-2015-2015-stage1plus

The cable VIN-locks, so 1 cable per car and cannot be unlocked. VIN is supplied at time of purchase. All up cost me $1800 for a stage +1 and the DSG. You'll probably go a stage 2 though.

Remarcabull
February 4th, 2016, 10:40 AM
You have to buy through an agent such as ModdedEuros. There is an agent in QLD, but his pricing was excessive. There is no customs duty either as all they physically send is the $150 cable, not the software as that is downloaded. Here is UniTronic's web page: https://www.unitronic-chipped.com/ecu-tuning/Audi-S3-20L-TSI-Gen3-2015-2015-stage1plus

The cable VIN-locks, so 1 cable per car and cannot be unlocked. VIN is supplied at time of purchase. All up cost me $1800 for a stage +1 and the DSG. You'll probably go a stage 2 though.

Possibly the stage 2, all i need is the air intake, i have the sports cat, intercooler. Although just going stage 1+ would be good and the sports exhaust and intercooler would provide a bit more on top of it close to what their stage 2 is

roadrunner
February 4th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Possibly the stage 2, all i need is the air intake, i have the sports cat, intercooler. Although just going stage 1+ would be good and the sports exhaust and intercooler would provide a bit more on top of it close to what their stage 2 is
They offer upgrade pricing across stages. +1 to a 2 is only $100 USD. Just buy both and switch between them at home. TBH intakes are mostly snake oil ;)

Remarcabull
February 4th, 2016, 11:21 AM
They offer upgrade pricing across stages. +1 to a 2 is only $100 USD. Just buy both and switch between them at home. TBH intakes are mostly snake oil ;)

you seen this

Eurodyne Audi S3 Reflash with Flash Tool - SKU4642 (http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Audi--S3--2015--2.0T/Engine/Software/Eurodyne-Audi-S3-Reflash-with-Flash-Tool.html)

roadrunner
February 4th, 2016, 11:29 AM
you seen this

Eurodyne Audi S3 Reflash with Flash Tool - SKU4642 (http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Audi--S3--2015--2.0T/Engine/Software/Eurodyne-Audi-S3-Reflash-with-Flash-Tool.html)

Yes, but no DSG tune from EuroDyne. Also didn't support my ECU box code. Again too much torque, I want the kW.

crc
February 4th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Speaking of @home tunes, I have flashed a number of B6/7 S4's with JHM's ECU tune from home with their cable. The software looked like a re-skinned version of APR's dealer flash software. The process wasn't user friendly but if you're savvy it wasn't a problem. Would be great if APR could offer it some day. Of course of the four S4's I flashed all four had different box codes so JHM had to cut new files each time.

Not exactly on topic but thought it would be interesting considering the @home vs dealer discussion.

aantss
February 4th, 2016, 02:30 PM

Really interested to hear your views comparing the two once you've had it loaded for a while and some time to drive it round. I'm currently APR stage 1 also.

roadrunner
February 4th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Speaking of @home tunes, I have flashed a number of B6/7 S4's with JHM's ECU tune from home with their cable. The software looked like a re-skinned version of APR's dealer flash software. The process wasn't user friendly but if you're savvy it wasn't a problem. Would be great if APR could offer it some day. Of course of the four S4's I flashed all four had different box codes so JHM had to cut new files each time.

Not exactly on topic but thought it would be interesting considering the @home vs dealer discussion.

I have used DIY flashing for many years on my other vehicles and the interfaces were simple to use. The Unitronic interface looks very straight forward.

Really interested to hear your views comparing the two once you've had it loaded for a while and some time to drive it round. I'm currently APR stage 1 also. Yes will do, Not expecting much difference as the APR is a great ECU tune. The Unitronics will have less punch around town, but more power around the top-end. Should be smoother too as more linear delivery.

My primary reason is to be able to do flashing myself. Secondly, less stress on transmission.

The APR DSG tune somehow seems to be moving back to stock behaviour in certain gears... for example under light throttle in D it will go from 4th gear @58kph to 5th->6th by 62kph which is well below 2000rpm. A few months ago it didn't do this. I could take it back to get re-flashed by APR, but can't do that every 3 months. At least with Untronics I can do it myself if that re-adaption of the DSG occurs, although from my research, their DSG tune could be a better fit for me as targets RPM post up shifts to be >2200rpm.

We'll see. I have a 15 day trial with Unitronics and may revert to APR.

minstrel
February 9th, 2016, 12:23 PM

- As I don't have VCDS, does anyone know another way to get the ECU & TCU box codes that Unitronic require?
- Unitronic mention brake / throttle decoupling (my bent :beat:), but is it part of their ECU flash (like APR) or TCU flash for DSG?

roadrunner
February 9th, 2016, 12:51 PM
- As I don't have VCDS, does anyone know another way to get the ECU & TCU box codes that Unitronic require?
- Unitronic mention brake / throttle decoupling (my bent :beat:), but is it part of their ECU flash (like APR) or TCU flash for DSG?

Contact UniTronic. They reply fairly quickly.

I believe that the box codes are labelled on the actual ECU/TCU.

roadrunner
February 9th, 2016, 01:21 PM

Contact John: john@unitronic.ca

minstrel
February 11th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Contact UniTronic. They reply fairly quickly.

I believe that the box codes are labelled on the actual ECU/TCU.

If (like me) you don't have VCDS, or don't want to get your hands dirty finding the actual ECU/TCU labels, there's another way to get the ECU/TCU box codes.

I asked my Audi dealer for a detailed diagnostic printout. I got 54 pages of A4 printout - "Offboard Diagnostic Information System - Diagnostic protocol(Long) - Protocol type: Guided fault finding - Protocol status: Final protocol".

UniTronic apparently found my box codes somewhere in the first 16 pages, but I have not deciphered them yet:confused:. Any clues on where / what to look for - a 'software' number?

minstrel
February 11th, 2016, 01:09 PM
In the other tuner threads (ABT, APR, JB, Revo, etc) there's concerns about AFR / Lambda data from dyno runs, and timing pull.
What's the story with UniTronic?
Being a flash tune like APR, not an add-on box like ABT, are there issues? What about boost (psi) for that matter - any info?

PS. Should there be a new UniTronics thread for these posts?

roadrunner
February 11th, 2016, 01:20 PM
If (like me) you don't have VCDS, or don't want to get your hands dirty finding the actual ECU/TCU labels, there's another way to get the ECU/TCU box codes.

I asked my Audi dealer for a detailed diagnostic printout. I got 54 pages of A4 printout - "Offboard Diagnostic Information System - Diagnostic protocol(Long) - Protocol type: Guided fault finding - Protocol status: Final protocol".

UniTronic apparently found my box codes somewhere in the first 16 pages, but I have not deciphered them yet:confused:. Any clues on where / what to look for - a 'software' number?

I have VCDS, so never been much concern to find them.

I believe the box codes is the 'label no'. Mine are 06K-907-425-V1.clb for the ECU and 0D9-927-770.clb for TCU

roadrunner
February 11th, 2016, 01:22 PM
In the other tuner threads (ABT, APR, JB, Revo, etc) there's concerns about AFR / Lambda data from dyno runs, and timing pull.
What's the story with UniTronic?
Being a flash tune like APR, not an add-on box like ABT, are there issues? What about boost (psi) for that matter - any info?

PS. Should there be a new UniTronics thread for these posts?
A flash isn't going to have AFR issues as they can control fueling and timing. APR will produce more boost than UniTronic.

crc
February 11th, 2016, 02:22 PM
I have VCDS, so never been much concern to find them.

I believe the box codes is the 'label no'. Mine are 06K-907-425-V1.clb for the ECU and 0D9-927-770.clb for TCU

Label files are core definition files used by Ross Tech to define how to interact with each module

Locating box codes (https://www.goapr.com/support/boxcode.php) are straight part numbers and software revisions

roadrunner
February 11th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Label files are core definition files used by Ross Tech to define how to interact with each module

Locating box codes (https://www.goapr.com/support/boxcode.php) are straight part numbers and software revisions

Correct, apologies I copied the wrong text

Here are mine:
Address 01: Engine (J623-CJXF) Labels: 06K-907-425-V1.clb
Part No SW: 8V0 906 259 A HW: 06K 907 425 B

Address 02: Auto Trans (J743) Labels: 0D9-927-770.clb
Part No SW: 0D9 300 012 L HW: 02E 927 770 AQ

sammo
February 12th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Two things I've noticed after getting the APR tune. Oil temp rarely goes above 100, maybe 102 is the maximum I've seen on a hot day - bonus right there.

The other is L/100km, which still doesn't go beyond 40.3L/100 when I release all the ponies (same as pre tune). Could this be a limitation of the fueling system? My Mk6 GTI with stage 2+ would often report over 60L/100km with the factory fuel pump.

mike
April 16th, 2016, 12:48 AM

Yes, JHM software is a re-skinned version of the APR Browser that APR dealers use to flash cars.

asgardloki
April 26th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Update on pricing and specs of APR stage 1 and DSG tunes for S3 8v quoted today.

Apr ECU stage 1 - 283kw/ 526nm = $1499

Apr DSG stage 1 = $1299

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Remarcabull
April 26th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Thats like $800 cheaper than before?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Donny
April 26th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Update on pricing and specs of APR stage 1 and DSG tunes for S3 8v quoted today.

Apr ECU stage 1 - 283kw/ 526nm = $1499

Apr DSG stage 1 = $1299

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
lol... way to go p1ssing off existing customers

Remarcabull
April 26th, 2016, 03:45 PM
lol... way to go p1ssing off existing customers
Yikes. Never thought of that!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

G TODD
April 26th, 2016, 07:01 PM
OK' where in Sydney do you guys recommend to have a APR stage 1 tune installed! Regards G.T.

ea2001
April 26th, 2016, 08:51 PM
OK' where in Sydney do you guys recommend to have a APR stage 1 tune installed! Regards G.T.
Hi GT
I tried to email u today but it bounced back to me.
Derek at European Autotech. Give me a call if u like.

Samos
April 26th, 2016, 09:55 PM
What exactly does a DSG tune do?

Donny
April 27th, 2016, 12:18 AM
go to VolksMuller, you can trust them to look after you + they know there stuff. Volkswagen (VW) Services ? APR Tune, Stage 1 Tuning, APR Performance Sydney, Australia (http://www.volksmuller.com.au/)

The_au_viper
April 27th, 2016, 01:57 AM
What exactly does a DSG tune do?

All sorts of things.

APR DQ250 DSG & S tronic TCU Upgrade (http://www.goapr.com/products/tcu_upgrade_dq250_exx_fxx.html)

Remarcabull
April 27th, 2016, 11:37 AM
go to VolksMuller, you can trust them to look after you + they know there stuff. Volkswagen (VW) Services ? APR Tune, Stage 1 Tuning, APR Performance Sydney, Australia (http://www.volksmuller.com.au/)

I can vouch for this, Steve the owner is very in the loop with all the products APR / Oettinger and can answer any questions or concerns you have.

matchettey
October 20th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Ah awesome info. Love that i found this forum.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk