• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

2.0 TSFI Oil Consumption- Class Action Poll

2.0TSFI Oil Consumption- Will you assist & take action jointly?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Today Audi Doncaster have done the consumption test. My A6 engine doesnt have the pvc valve etc so only the oil was changed with blue dye in it.

No oil filter was changed!

Hopefully changing the oil only will fix the issue but I doubt it.

Engine rebuild to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The engine usage has improved after 1500k no engine light so took to Audi Doncaster and was advised it used 700ml per 1000km so it failed the test so needs an engine rebuild.

Audi Australia will not pay for anything absolutely pathetic company and I will never buy an Audi again!

hi. at 80000km it drank 1 liter every 6-700k. dealer told me its ok quite normal....

at 100000km it drank 1liter every 400k

at 110000 km it drank 1 liter every 250km

then it clogged up on spark plugers , so replaced all spark plugs and distributer cable. then after 5000 k engine stopped. so i had to rebuild the engine.....

sounds similar to my brothers mk 6 gti. it was using 1l every 2500km, he had issues from new. at 27k km he got a cel and the car was misfiring. turns out spark plug #1 was clogged. vw dealer replaced plug and coil and sent him on his way after he mentioned the high oil usage. did a consumption test, showed it was "within the range". at 43k km the same piston/plug was clogged, stranded him again. this time they replaced and when they were going to send him on his way, he said that this was the second time, warranty is coming due, and he has high oil usage with is because of a bad piston leaking causing the problem. as it is documented twice, do they want to continue playing this game, or are they going to fix it.
it was booked in for a rebuild that week.
car has not had oil usage issues in over 20k km since the rebuild.

G'Day everyone. Newly joined member here, just read through the thread "2.0TSFI Oil Consumption", really scares me now as I have just ordered a S1 for my wife. In the past 20 years I have been owning cars in Australia, I haven't actually had the needs to top up engine oil..This is the really a news for me, especialy in cars of the 21st century. I have owned quite a few cars in the past 20 years, Mercedes 190E 2.6, (some of you may be too young to remember), Nissan Micra, Subaru Outbacks x2, Subaru Forester, Ford Couriers x2, Mazda Bravo, Chrysler 300C and currently still own Ford Falcon XR6T ute, Mazda CX9, Honda Jazz. Non of them need engine oil top ups between services. I have noticed the last reply in the thread was in December last year, does it mean you guys have the problem sorted? Or fed up with thie issue and sold your Audi? Don't tell me Audi is "inferior" than those which I have driven. I shall keep watching this thread in the future....

G'Day everyone. Newly joined member here, just read through the thread "2.0TSFI Oil Consumption", really scares me now as I have just ordered a S1 for my wife. In the past 20 years I have been owning cars in Australia, I haven't actually had the needs to top up engine oil..This is the really a news for me, especialy in cars of the 21st century. I have owned quite a few cars in the past 20 years, Mercedes 190E 2.6, (some of you may be too young to remember), Nissan Micra, Subaru Outbacks x2, Subaru Forester, Ford Couriers x2, Mazda Bravo, Chrysler 300C and currently still own Ford Falcon XR6T ute, Mazda CX9, Honda Jazz. Non of them need engine oil top ups between services. I have noticed the last reply in the thread was in December last year, does it mean you guys have the problem sorted? Or fed up with thie issue and sold your Audi? Don't tell me Audi is "inferior" than those which I have driven. I shall keep watching this thread in the future....

no, i think its because most of the cars u mentioned were japanese.
also, bear in mind that the 2.0l engine that suffers the high oil consumption is literally produced in the tens if not hundreds of thousands across the vag range of cars. just with production tolerances alone, u will get some that use oil, and some that wont.
as i mentioned, my brother had his mk6 gti fixed under warranty, in the almost 30k km since his "rebuild" he hasnt had an oil light come on, and he has checked the dipstick and it has barely moved. the reality is, the engine can be very reliable if built correctly, but with so many running along the production line, inevitably, u will get some, if not a lot that wont run right.
the catalyst to getting a rebuild needs to be pretty strong though, jsut having high oil consumption probably wont cut it with a dealership, especially if the car is out of warranty. but if the car exhibits significant issues such as constant fouled plugs, breakdowns and cels, coupled with the oil usage, then the dealers will need to act, especially if the symptons are documented. because what happens when the car goes out of warranty and the same issues come up. they failed to address them, so its in their best interests to fix it and hopefully never see u again.

G'Day everyone. Newly joined member here, just read through the thread "2.0TSFI Oil Consumption", really scares me now as I have just ordered a S1 for my wife....Don't tell me Audi is "inferior" than those which I have driven. I shall keep watching this thread in the future....

light came on once when my GTI was brand new. Choice of pop into dealer or top up myself. It never happened again after that. Also my Polo 1.2 did it once too when new.

What I do notice in the cars thereafter is that the oil level slowly goes down, but not to the minimum, and was always replaced and topped up with the 12m dealer service.

it may not happen to the extent you get a warning light, and if it does, it's likely just the initial once.

Is there any interest in this class action still? My Q5 is using 1L/350km at 80000kms. Full service history. Approx $14000 to rebuild engine. I'm currently trying to have Audi Australia help me resolve this issue

Is there any interest in this class action still? My Q5 is using 1L/350km at 80000kms. Full service history. Approx $14000 to rebuild engine. I'm currently trying to have Audi Australia help me resolve this issue

$14K??? No way. you can buy another car for that price

You need new rings and pistons. They did that on my car.

Yours is not diesel, is it?

No, mine is 2.0T petrol. It went in for stage 1 testing. They said I needed to upgrade/update the oil separator before they would do a oil consumption test. $800+ for that. Then 2 hours later they called and said there was an oil leak at the timing cover and that they will have to replace that and cam seal? before they can do the oil consumption test and that'll be another $600+. The car is booked in to have both done on Tuesday. A lot of money to spend for them to tell me what I already know- that the car is consuming too much oil. I know, because I'm the one putting the 1L in each week! I'm assuming these are the hoops that you have to jump through in order to get things fixed by Audi Australia. Or are they just leading me on, to then tell me they wont cover any repairs...

That's way too much. Mahle pistons are $1500AU. You need rods too because the wrist pin diameter has been increased. If they can do a drop in piston swap with the block in the car it should be less than $5k and a lot of that will be in parts. I am hoping Audi will at least give me the replacement parts and I will rebuild it myself.

For anyone following this thread I spoke to Maurice Blackburn lawyers last week and they said there is not a big enough issue with the oil consumption for a class action in Australia. The US is a much larger market with different class action rules which is why it was successful there.

I have put in a complaint to QLD Fair Trading on my car alleging multiple breaches of the Trade Practices Act 1974 which was in force in 2010 when I purchased.

Anyone had any joy getting AA to come to the party with these repairs required to the 2.0tfsi if outside manufacturers warranty. My 2010 A5 2.0 TFSI 99300km currently in Audi centre Brisbane workshop. Had the usual excessive oil consumption issues over the 18months that I have owned the car. Told the usual story about what is normal so have just lived with it until a few weeks ago started running really rough, basically un drive able. My mechanic changed coil, injector on no.4 cyl no joy. Discovered compression way down on 4 with more serious issues so suggested I go back to Audi for possible 'goodwill' repair. After a $1000 diagnostic check ( head had to removed) Audi tell me it's a broken piston ring on 4. However with last 2 services not done in house at Audi ( first 4 were) and the age and KMs they don't think they have any goodwill obligation. So we are currently at stalemate with my car still there at Audi.
anyone had any success with something similar? Or any advice ? Change over engine maybe cheaper?

Back