• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

2WD 01E Gearboxes

F3ared

Morning guys.

Working on a bit of a strange non-Audi project of mine [944 with a 1.8T 20V swap in progress] and trying to source a gearbox for it which is where im tripped up. Originally, the 944s used a 2wd Audi 016 box mounted in the rear of the car to form a transaxle setup. Unfortunately with what the 016 came out of [i think it was 4cyl Audi 100], they werent really designed for much more power than standard and probably wont survive long with what I have planned for the car and how i drive. The later 968 used a 2WD version of the 01E with some minor changes to suit the 9xx chassis and by all reports is strong enough to handle 500+ HP.

I know the 01E was available in AUS in 4WD form but did any come to Australia in 2wd form and if so, in what. VAG groups insistence on using 3 letter codes is making it hard to search and identify what came with what. I know in Europe they came behind an A4 V6 TDI Convertible [not joking] but highly doubt anything like that made its way here. Im hoping they may have come here behind, say a B6 1.8T FWD [if such a thing exists] but not being a VAG/Audi guy, I dont know what went where and when etc.

Any help is appreciated. Alternatively, if you have, or know, where there is an 01E 2WD box floating around that is available, im all ears.

Cheers

Nick

I believe the 01x may be an option, still feeling my way around what will and won't work, and more importantly, what was available. What was the 01x behind?

I believe the 01x may be an option, still feeling my way around what will and won't work, and more importantly, what was available. What was the 01x behind?
01X was found in the manual fwd b6/7.
Why don’t you use the 944 box? You can use the torque tube from a late 924 or 931/2. It will bolt up to the Audi 1.8t.

Back