• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Audi A3 Water based paint! How to touch up??

Narks

I decided to have a go at touching up a bad scratch on the bonnet of my Audi A3 Cabriolet with my airbrush kit.

After a light sand, I laid down some nice coats of plain grey solvent based primer. All good, sanded down with 1000 grit paper ready for a top coat of Briliant Black, from a tub I got from a repairer a few years back after some panel repair. Tried a few test sprays after thinning down with thinners. Total failure.

Realised later its water based paint! And after a google search discovered the paint on the A3 is all water based! I'm also having trouble getting my airgun to atomise this paint properly. A few questions:

• Does the water based factory paint on the A3 have a base coat + clear coat?
  • Can i use a solvent based top coat + clear coat?(I can get some mixed at Autobarn)
  • Any other hints?

Tony
2009 A3 Cabriolet

Back