• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

audi Q7 TDI URGENT Help needed!!

xkkat

Hi guys The 3 litre V6 turbo diesel TDI Is a very well built unit. But every car hasits problems How many Kms will these engins do before rebuild is needed I am looking at a 2016 with 180,000 on the clock Ive read all the horror stories on line and am a bit worried i could be buyind a money pit! The car is a one owner and full audi service record I cant hear any strange noises Should i buy it?? and hope for the best

It's a unknown number (when it needs a rebuild).
Could be next week or 5 years from now.
If not thrashed, regular service, oil etc, then it could last a few more good years. I would get the engine code and do a search from there...

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Hi guys The 3 litre V6 turbo diesel TDI Is a very well built unit. But every car hasits problems How many Kms will these engins do before rebuild is needed I am looking at a 2016 with 180,000 on the clock Ive read all the horror stories on line and am a bit worried i could be buyind a money pit! The car is a one owner and full audi service record I cant hear any strange noises Should i buy it?? and hope for the best

I bought a 3.0 tdi VW Touareg with 300K up and have put up another 15K in the year. The base rotating assembly will do over 400K easily IF you keep up the oil & filter service. Other components will chew out at an undetermined rate just depending on how you use it and care for it. You just can't predict when a turbo or other component will fail. If you follow Barbalattes advice then you may as well buy new. Just depends on what you are prepared to sacrifice for the saving.

Just consider that they were an expensive car when new and any and all faults don't get discounted just because the car is second hand, no matter how many miles it has on the clock. I thing the engine is a great buy in what ever body it comes in and if you want the great benefits the car has then you just need to shell out or suck it up. No free lunches with second hand vehicles.

I bought a 3.0 tdi VW Touareg with 300K up and have put up another 15K in the year. The base rotating assembly will do over 400K easily IF you keep up the oil & filter service. Other components will chew out at an undetermined rate just depending on how you use it and care for it. You just can't predict when a turbo or other component will fail. If you follow Barbalattes advice then you may as well buy new. Just depends on what you are prepared to sacrifice for the saving.

Just consider that they were an expensive car when new and any and all faults don't get discounted just because the car is second hand, no matter how many miles it has on the clock. I thing the engine is a great buy in what ever body it comes in and if you want the great benefits the car has then you just need to shell out or suck it up. No free lunches with second hand vehicles.

Good advise. Just a side note. A car with 80,000-100,000km on the clock, you paying anywhere from 40-55% of the new car value. So I don't agree with your analogy of building a car with under 100,000km new. It's anything but.
Eg. I sold my 2013 SQ5 for $40,000 with 65,000km on the clock. Was bought new for just over $100,000. That was 6 years later. Lost 60% of the value.

Last edited:
I recently saw a bloke selling a 2012 Touareg TDI with 800,000kms on the clock.

The one I picked up last week has 230,000km on the Q7 and is a 2011.

It honestly drives like a new car but has been well maintained. The last owner has service records for oil changes every 10,000kms.

Sent from my CPH2333 using Tapatalk

My advice.

Check it out. Then get a mechanic to check it over.

I used Lube mobile - the guy was awesome

Sent from my CPH2333 using Tapatalk

If you are buying a tdi, remember it is a long distance hauler. City driving just wrecks diesels and the newer the car the more emmissions equip to go wrong. There is an enormous amount of sophistication built into these engines and just about everything that goes wrong relates back to a design to reduce emissions. For towing the 3.0 TDI is a great choice but I moved on back to a NA petrol V8 to cover the non towing driving side of life.

Mechanical inspection is paramount with these cars before buying. I just had one done with a 2018 Q7 with everything on it i wanted and the car was a great clean honest second hand car but it had started a rear seal leak. Small leak but no small job to get it fixed in time and expense.

Back