• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

B5 A4 Airbag Recall

Matt-Matt

B5 Enthusiast
Hey guys.

Haven't posted much here lately.

But I'm sure a lot of you have heard about the recall, if not there's a link below.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/814735/audi-australia-takata-buyback/

Essentially my local Audi have advised that they will be inspecting cars and if effected paying out owners "fair market value" OR you can sign a waiver to take responsibility for the airbag and any damages.

I'm sure a lot of people here have modified or clean examples, you'll want to confirm your vin is effected or contact the Audi Takata line with your vin.

I think it'd be a good idea to track what offers people are getting, my local dealership has offered to not check the bag and price the car before evaluating, but I feel like this still isn't good enough as you're stuck with the choice of potentially unregisterable car or what would assumably be sub 3k (redbook value for a 99 A4 Quattro is 4.1k MAX).

Very interesting to hear your stories so we can figure out our best plans of action. If it's a fact please comment that so we can determine what's actually known and what to actually do.

I'm going to have a long hard think about this personally, the A4 is my secondary car right now so I'm in no rush.

At this rate I won't be buying another Audi, it's very poor that they're going to just crush the cars when other manafacturers are actually thinking about the consumer and the environment. If they change their stance I'll change mine..

I'm yet to read any comments on Broke90's similar post, but my thoughts on the recall are this:

1. It is currently a voluntary recall. I'm not sure what Audi's legal obligations are under Australian Consumer Law with regards to voluntary recalls, but I don't think there's an age limit on faulty manufacture.
2. The current Takata compulsory recall forces manufacturers to remanufacture or replace the airbags on all affected vehicles. So they have no choice in the matter under the compulsory recall.
3. Audi cannot force you to sell your car to them, or sign a waiver absolving them of responsibility for faulty manufacture.
In fact, I would be questioning their entire approach to this. Coersion is not pretty.
4. As it's a voluntary recall, I don't see how affected cars can be made unroadworthy/unregisterable as a result. If they get declared unsafe to be on the roads through no fault of current owners, then Audi will be obligated to fix them.
5. Hope the ACCC upgrades this to a compulsory recall and force VW (yet again) to do what they should be doing anyway.

So if you like your affected car, currently ignore any attempt to communicate from Audi.

I've sent a letter to the ACCC enquiring about Audi's handling of this and their legal obligations. I'm yet to hear back (Only sent a few hours ago)

Shocking! They will never play a fair game with any potential buy backs.
Glad to see the S4 is yet to be effected...

FWIW the BMW E46 3 series is subject to the same action, and from what I understand some of the buyback prices have been on the generous side so it may be worth at least going through the process and seeing what sort of number gets put on the cars.

Hopefully this is a misleading comment as you infer that it is only a matter of time.........

I'm yet to read any comments on Broke90's similar post, but my thoughts on the recall are this:

1. It is currently a voluntary recall. I'm not sure what Audi's legal obligations are under Australian Consumer Law with regards to voluntary recalls, but I don't think there's an age limit on faulty manufacture.
2. The current Takata compulsory recall forces manufacturers to remanufacture or replace the airbags on all affected vehicles. So they have no choice in the matter under the compulsory recall.
3. Audi cannot force you to sell your car to them, or sign a waiver absolving them of responsibility for faulty manufacture.
In fact, I would be questioning their entire approach to this. Coersion is not pretty.
4. As it's a voluntary recall, I don't see how affected cars can be made unroadworthy/unregisterable as a result. If they get declared unsafe to be on the roads through no fault of current owners, then Audi will be obligated to fix them.
5. Hope the ACCC upgrades this to a compulsory recall and force VW (yet again) to do what they should be doing anyway.

So if you like your affected car, currently ignore any attempt to communicate from Audi.

I've sent a letter to the ACCC enquiring about Audi's handling of this and their legal obligations. I'm yet to hear back (Only sent a few hours ago)

I see, so this isn't a compulsory recall currently? That changes a lot.

In terms of money to the other commenter, I mean yeah redbook value maxes at 4k or so. I've heard from E46 owners that they were being offered 2k or so, I was trying to do research on it but didn't find much. My computer is in bits on my dining room table right now so forced to use my phone makes it difficult.

I’m aware of someone who bought a POS E46 for around $650 recently and had it bought back a matter of weeks later for $6k.

Hopefully this is a misleading comment as you infer that it is only a matter of time.........

A4/s4/rs4 share a lot of the same parts even though they may have different assembly factories.
I would be concerned with this recall also potentially effecting the S4 B5, but nothing mentioned in articles or recall. All clear.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting and thanks for writing a letter to the ACCC. Did you email them? I think that I will write them also.

I have been feeling very sick since they announced the latest recall. I only found out when my father rang me to let me know.

I have recently (about 4 weeks ago) bought an extremely lovely D2 S8. It is the nicest car that I have ever owned or driven. You can probably imagine how I am feeling about selling my D2 to Audi, so it is heartening to see the resistance on this forum to the approach that Audi is taking. I am very grateful for the insights that you have shared.

Consider what BMW have said about their affected vehicles!

In particular, I found this passage very interesting. ...
..."We still haven't concluded whether there's actually a real problem or not, but we didn't want to wait for the [coroner's inquest].

"We're giving them the option to rent a car, we can buy back your car. We're working with each and every customer to ensure that they're mobile and that they're being looked after even though it's a 20-year old car.

"We'll store it if someone wants to keep it – if it's a collector's car. There's a time to repair it; we can store it for them until that time..."

Good idea. I also suggest people challenge the listing if their car model is in the recall but not on the list.

http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthread.php/55523-Airbag-Recall

That is what I had in mind to do, especially as they could not even bother to distinguish an S8 from an A8, but sadly my VIN is listed in the document that Audi has circulated.:shock:

That prompted me to examine the details of my airbag myself:

AirBag_details.jpg
Here are the details written on the back of my airbag. It mentions "bam-pt1-0593".

I found a document (in German) online which lists this code. Worryingly, it is associated with "NADI" propellant, but does not mention the "NADI 5-AT" phrase that I have seen bandied about in relation to the TAKATA recall. I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of this. Does anyone? I would love find some more information about these specifics.

Last edited:

Yep, I checked also and found the S4 was not affected, well not yet anyway.... It would be interesting if it was...

Yep, I checked also and found the S4 was not affected, well not yet anyway.... It would be interesting if it was...

I checked via the Audi website before this thread started. On there I was able to generate a letter from Audi stating that the car with that VIN was not effected by the latest voluntary recall. Completely understand that the database may be screwed up and those may be in error but it is at least a start pending future developments. I note that the dates given for models that may be effected were only up to 1999. If that is correct then my FL model is out of the woods.

Received the recall notice for my unregistered A4 today. Rang Audi head office and asked about my registered A4 and the guy there said if the VIN isn't on the list then it's not affected. I asked if all A4 B5 are affected and he said only some, not all. I told him both cars were made in the same month so I'm sceptical and he said I can book it into a dealer to have it confirmed, so I did. Then out of curiosity I decided to pull the airbag off to have a look.

The recalled A4 has a Takata BAM-PT1-0593 airbag.

IMG_4831.jpg

The registered A4 has a TRW airbag, no model number.

IMG_4832.jpg

So it looks like my A4 will live to ride another day! Just so that Audi takes the responsibility, I've booked it in to have it confirmed. At least I now have peace of mind that I've seen it myself.

Attachments

• IMG_4831.jpg
    IMG_4831.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4832.jpg
    IMG_4832.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 35
Received the recall notice for my unregistered A4 today. Rang Audi head office and asked about my registered A4 and the guy there said if the VIN isn't on the list then it's not affected. I asked if all A4 B5 are affected and he said only some, not all. I told him both cars were made in the same month so I'm sceptical and he said I can book it into a dealer to have it confirmed, so I did. Then out of curiosity I decided to pull the airbag off to have a look.

The recalled A4 has a Takata BAM-PT1-0593 airbag.

View attachment 31212

The registered A4 has a TRW airbag, no model number.

View attachment 31213

So it looks like my A4 will live to ride another day! Just so that Audi takes the responsibility, I've booked it in to have it confirmed. At least I now have peace of mind that I've seen it myself.

I too got a letter today.

My Airbag is as your first photo, the Takata BAM-PTA-0593 with a date of 20/1/99 on it.

I'm pretty confident it's effected, my rego is due in March so I'm kind of wanting to come to a conclusion before then.. I'm tempted to just strip what I can at home (speakers + head unit and Forge Splitter) and see if anyone local wants to swap my Boleros + somewhat decent tyres for stockies or just buy some stockies and put the Boleros in the shed and get around to restoring them one day (they aren't good, but I have 8 so can make one good set with some work).

I have KW V1's, I'm tempted to pull these out but it's a good days work really (I like to take my time + it's annoying to deal with). But at the same time I'd have to find a buyer and if they don't keep the car I've got to put them back in. The same goes for the 3' Turbo back exhaust that I have (came with the car) but I don't have a stock exhaust.

Honestly I'm not going to own another Audi after this unless they change how they're handling this.. It is REALLY poor.

What do you suggest they do Matt-Matt given that the third party supplier of the airbag can’t supply the parts?

I wander if they will allow theae affected vins be re registered. Im currently on leave for gamily vacation but my rego is up and will be arenewed in about 10 days. Not sure ..will they let it be rego'd ?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I own a B5 S4 and have just received the recall later stating that my vehicle's VIN is "subject to an urgent safety recall". This saddens me and I am conflicted as to what I should now do.... :(

The letter does state that they will need to inspect it first to confirm if faulty and then offer a buy back so I am praying mine is safe (but my expectations are low). <sigh>

The S4 uses the same model airbag as the A4, BAM-PT1-0593. I checked my S4 wheel currently fitted and it is 20/10/2000 dated. My original wheel is 2001 dated. I assume you S4 is a 1999 model? Best of luck with the inspection, see how it goes.

Back