• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

B5 A4 Airbag Recall

Hi All

1 own four Audi and two golfs, know my part numbers, vin numbers, use VCDS, etc - been with VAG too long

Dont want to start a rush but i found that my RS4 B5 steering wheel and airbag are NOT on the recall.
AND i found the steering wheel and airbag transfer over to my A4 B5 1.8TQ avant with NO PROBLEM.
and bought a new one for the RS4 B5

My A4 B5 1.8TQ is on the recall list. I contacted Audi Brookvale and Grant in the service department told me I had to take the car to Audi Head office Zetland.
I rang and spoke to Audi head office. I sent them the photos of the RS4 airbag and steering wheel.
They ignored this and repeatedly told me I had to give the car to them to check for a few days.
When you take the car to them, this is when they give you the Pickles Auction price for your car and tell you to bugger off.

Tell AUDI to bugger off and learn real customer manners.

On the Service NSW web site it states
Once the airbag has been replaced, please send written evidence from the manufacturer OR VEHICLE REPAIRER, such as a service invoice or repair certificate, confirming your vehicle's critical faulty airbag has been replaced to:

takata.recall@rms.nsw.gov.au or
Manager Regulatory Systems and Assurance
Roads and Maritime Services
PO Box 3035
Parramatta NSW 2124

Hi All

1 own four Audi and two golfs, know my part numbers, vin numbers, use VCDS, etc - been with VAG too long

Dont want to start a rush but i found that my RS4 B5 steering wheel and airbag are NOT on the recall.
AND i found the steering wheel and airbag transfer over to my A4 B5 1.8TQ avant with NO PROBLEM.

My A4 B5 1.8TQ is on the recall list. I contacted Audi Brookvale and Grant in the service department told me I had to take the car to Audi Head office Zetland.
I rang and spoke to Audi head office. I sent them the photos of the RS4 airbag and steering wheel.
They ignored this and repeatedly told me I had to give the car to them to check for a few days.
When you take the car to them, this is when they give you the Pickles Auction price for your car and tell you to bugger off.

Once the airbag has been replaced, please send written evidence from the manufacturer OR VEHICLE REPAIRER, such as a service invoice or repair certificate, confirming your vehicle's critical faulty airbag has been replaced to:

takata.recall@rms.nsw.gov.au or
PO Box 3035
Parramatta NSW 2124

True but worth considering that there are only so many "genuine" B5 RS4 steering wheels out there and for many B5 A4 owners, the cost of a rare steering wheel and airbag is as far removed as the moon. The RS4 wheel itself is just an advance release of the B6 wheel with some upmarket trimming. Airbag wise there are some options too. Adapter plugs are also available for the few compatible airbags.

Audi have a real issue with having non compliant cars out in the market, no doubt solely around the publicity should any be involved in an accident or casualty. Nevertheless, I cannot see any way that they can legally impound your car, you could keep it for parts for example, but no doubt they will try and bluff.

Equally, the owner can follow the steps to have the VIN removed from the list once a compliant replacement has been fitted but the same issue as before, many owners may not be able to afford the wrangling to get their car back on the approved list for renewing rego. In the end if the base car is selling for $1K to $3K, then there is little value in spending an appreciable portion of that to get it back on the road.

It's really only the enthusiasts that are going to drive this for a very limited number of vehicles.

Hi All

Once the airbag has been replaced, please send written evidence from the manufacturer OR VEHICLE REPAIRER, such as a service invoice or repair certificate, confirming your vehicle's critical faulty airbag has been replaced to: takata.recall@rms.nsw.gov.au or
PO Box 3035
Parramatta NSW 2124[/

QUOTE]
Interesting point quoted above.
The RMS Website may be only referring to critical Alpha Recalls.
The 69AE Takata NADI 5AT Airbag Recall is classed as a voluntary recall.
We would all like to know if the written evidence provided by the Audi Dealerships could be emailed to RMS as you've stated. And begs the further burning question about reporting procedures for other Australian States and Territories.
The following is an email that I received from a member of the Takata Recall Facebook Page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1243216996031495/?ref=share
"Email from Jessa, Audi Australia Customer Care Case Manager is very pertinent to the discussion and gives some extra clarity.
Key statement "However, if the vehicle is no longer affected by the NADI recall due to a previous airbag replacement, Audi Australia may provide sufficient documentation to the owner of the vehicle to confirm the recall is no longer outstanding.
"VIN 69AE VIN List Current 9/11/2020 [https://www.productsafety.gov.au/system/files/VIN list_130.pdf Search works on my Mobile.
Anyone know how the search the 69 AE VIN List using a PC?
I thought it was [SHIFT] F9

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Which inspection is this? Rego or Audi's?

Audi failed it, My 2000 B5 A4 is currently registered NSW , I never got a letter from Audi for it, Its not on the affected VIN's list- the airbag was removed and fitted to an A4 that was on the VIN list, Audi inspected it and didn't pass it, The owner left the dealership (retaining the effected air bag) and is returning it to me. The Owner has since fitted a airbag from an A3- im not aware if he has had it re-inspected to date.

Audi failed it, My 2000 B5 A4 is currently registered NSW , I never got a letter from Audi for it, Its not on the affected VIN's list- the airbag was removed and fitted to an A4 that was on the VIN list, Audi inspected it and didn't pass it, The owner left the dealership (retaining the effected air bag) and is returning it to me. The Owner has since fitted a airbag from an A3- im not aware if he has had it re-inspected to date.
What was the date on your unaffected car's airbag that was transferred to the mates car? We're all interested in the possibility that Audi Brookvale might have failed the car in error.
We know that the Takata NADI recall possibly affects airbags manufactured between certain dates. If anyone needs more up to date information, which model airbags will pass, redacted copies of letters from Dealerships after testing. Takata Recall Buyback Discussion on Facebook has all that and more.

Audi owners included in the Audi 69AE Takata NADI 5AT voluntary Recall announced by ACCC on 16 December 2020 have had successful outcomes by fitting unaffected Airbags and Wheels from other Audi Models before they've taken their affected cars to Audi Dealerships for inspection.
Email from Jessa, Audi Australia Customer Care Case Manager is very pertinent to the discussion and gives some extra clarity.
Key statement "However, if the vehicle is no longer affected by the NADI recall due to a previous airbag replacement, Audi Australia may provide sufficient documentation to the owner of the vehicle to confirm the recall is no longer outstanding."

69AE VIN List [https://www.productsafety.gov.au/system/files/VIN list_130.pdf Search works on my Mobile.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1243216996031495/

Alternate Airbags & Steering Wheels:-

Audi owners have found compatible Airbags from later models that fit their cars and are actively assisting each other with expert technically qualified advice. See quote:-

"A few recent chats about this topic made me go back and check if my car was finally cleared.

Good news, I am no longer on the affected vehicle list. It may have taken quite a few months but all good now.

This was through me changing to S3 wheel and bag (approx 2002 model) with a Temic airbag. Wheel spline is identical to my 99.5 A4 and plug is same as original. No airbag faults."

6c0606a59eea879d341bc53d97199eb5.jpg

Last edited:
Just to update this thread with other world responses. A UK forum member received this letter from Audi UK yesterday to replace his takata airbag.

airbag letter mod.jpg

Now, isn't that a different approach to the situation we found ourselves in locally. I'll get some more information idc about exactly what happened but it does seem to show that a solution is / was available and undertaken at no cost by Audi.

99 Audi S4 (plus a C5 RS6). There is a fair bit more love for the B5 in UK despite the eventual tin worm so looks like the brand headed the people.

The wording of the letter is interesting. "To ensure that the driver airbag functions entirely correctly" isn't the same as "component supplier of the airbag inflator is concerned may be faulty and may kill or injure the driver" (quoting exactly (including the bold letters) from my letter from Audi). But it seems in the UK they'll replace them, whereas here they want to pay you out with a Happy Meal voucher.

So I sold my 2001 B5 A4 sedan in November which wasn't affected by the recall, but was since contacted by my ex asking if I wanted to purchase "our" old b5 avant from her - it's a 99.5 GP avant 1.8t quattro and after one of the control arms blew out while she was doing a u-turn, then getting quoted $1900 to fix it, she lost faith in it and it has been parked up for the last two years. Paint is faded on the roof and bonnet (will be getting that painted) and it needs a host of little things that probably all b5's need, but the interior is excellent and the head was rebuild and new turbo only 10k ago so of course I bought it from her for only $600 which was what she was being offered by wreckers. I fixed the control arm for $26.

BUT it is on the recall list for this airbag thing and honestly, I do have a lot of good memories with this car - originally bought it in 2007! It was the start of my love for Audis and it has a lot more sentimental value than what Audi will ever offer for it.

So I want to replace the airbag and steering wheel too if necessary with another type. What options are we aware of so far?
8L A3/S3 - 2001-2003?
B5 A4/S4 - 2000+
B5 RS4
A6/S6/RS6/allroad C5 - 2001-2004? - does this include the automatic with the steering wheel gear shift buttons?

Any others?

Just to update this thread with other world responses. A UK forum member received this letter from Audi UK yesterday to replace his takata airbag.

View attachment 31997

Now, isn't that a different approach to the situation we found ourselves in locally. I'll get some more information idc about exactly what happened but it does seem to show that a solution is / was available and undertaken at no cost by Audi.

So if this means they have the re-engineered parts available, why would these not be available here in Australia?

The wording of the letter is interesting. "To ensure that the driver airbag functions entirely correctly" isn't the same as "component supplier of the airbag inflator is concerned may be faulty and may kill or injure the driver" (quoting exactly (including the bold letters) from my letter from Audi). But it seems in the UK they'll replace them, whereas here they want to pay you out with a Happy Meal voucher.

It's obvious that market drivers are very country specific. No idea exactly what is going on but I do know the guy so will eventually get an update. It's a bit like VW not selling us electric cars because they can't get the emissions offset credits here in Australia. All handled very differently depending on who you are.

So if this means they have the re-engineered parts available, why would these not be available here in Australia?

Possibly for the same (non) reasons that parts availability differs by continent / hemisphere. I have never bothered chasing this up but it is likely that Audi Australia is a different entity to Audi Germany and separated by enough legal jargon to keep head office's nose off the grindstone where legal liabilities exist in individual countries. We may love the cars but we are just a source of cash injection and as soon as you stop buying new, your face isn't that welcome.

Possibly for the same (non) reasons that parts availability differs by continent / hemisphere. I have never bothered chasing this up but it is likely that Audi Australia is a different entity to Audi Germany and separated by enough legal jargon to keep head office's nose off the grindstone where legal liabilities exist in individual countries. We may love the cars but we are just a source of cash injection and as soon as you stop buying new, your face isn't that welcome.

Did you have any luck swapping over to the allroad steering wheel or did you never need to go down that path?

So I want to replace the airbag and steering wheel too if necessary with another type. What options are we aware of so far?
8L A3/S3 - 2001-2003?
B5 A4/S4 - 2000+
B5 RS4
A6/S6/RS6/allroad C5 - 2001-2004? - does this include the automatic with the steering wheel gear shift buttons?

Now that my own sage is over, I have re-formatted that section of the brain for other issues. There is a wealth of info on here, just requires some of your time and attention to get all the answers. Most of the options above do not ring a bell as a replacement. Mostly the wiring is different. There are also Takata airbags that are OK and not subject to the recall. My A4 has the Audi seal of approval despite having a Takata brand airbag.

Did you have any luck swapping over to the allroad steering wheel or did you never need to go down that path?

That wasn't me. (Yes it was) Never had any intentions of doing that (Obviously did before I found out it was a no goer). From memory I started my homework on the options for all my cars but it became a non event when I finally got my letter from Audi for the A4 and the RS cars weren't affected in the end..

Last edited:
Ah, I haven't been able to tie in to a date of airbag manufacture. My understanding was that airbag model was fitted to some cars manufactured between certain dates, therefore any with that airbag model were defective. I may have been wasting my time but the utter confusion with AUDI about whether some Australian delivered cars actually exist has certainly made me ultra cautious about the system being used to identify cars at risk.

It does seem that B6 A4 or indeed C5 allroad steering wheels and airbags are a potential replacement for the B5 A4 so I'm on that path at the moment in preparation. Even better, I have an allroad that is just about to enter the part out phase of life so that may be the first thing I remove.

I read this post from you earlier in the thread and wondered if you ever went through with it. Seeing as I can't seem to find any instances of the potential failure with the older Takata airbags actually occurring in the real world, I'll keep driving my A4 for now but will keep an eye out for a suitable replacement wheel/airbag.

Early in the piece I guess. There was a time when it seemed that common sense should have dictated using the same airbag across the B5 / C5 range would / should have been a given, but like everything it turned out to be a real muddle and obviously not true. As I had an Allroad that was a potential source of certain spares to save the A4, I was "hopeful". Life is never that easy.
The RS4 more or less uses a B6 airbag and there were single and dual stage bags somewhere in the mix. Luckily for me my A4 had a "good" Takata airbag and the others weren't fitted with recall products.
There is no doubt that some airbags could be retrofitted to the B5 technically. The real issue is that they may not have passed the requisite standards so in reality they may be illegal. Perhaps the biggest issue is that if Audi advise the relevant Rego dept in a state that the car is fitted with one of the defective air bags then the state just refuses to register it irrespective of the actual functionality.
I'm just grateful that the worst case scenerio of all my cars having the same faulty airbag and all being refused future rego did not arise. Glass Full.

Gas Generator replacement. My S4 was not part of the recent air bag issues as it is a 2001 model so all good there. Yesterday I received a letter for Audi saying that they are replacing the gas generator in the drivers side air bag due to aging of the propellant which may potentially effect the function of the air bag. So I have booked in the car and Audi have confirmed it is a Gas Generator replacement only, no hidden agenda. The letter also states that until the work is carried out the vehicle can be used normally.

This recall affects A4, A6, A8, TT and Cabriolet vehicles manufactured between 2000 and 2001. Good old Takata the air bag that just keeps on giving!

Back