• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

B5 A4 Airbag Recall

And here too. Received the initial letter dated 30 Nov, which I put on hold until the pandemic situation was more stable, then booked for 7 March, delayed due to a QLD trip. In the meantime I received a second reminder despite the booking. I'm all set and hopefully this will be the final piece in the saga.

I received another reminder for my affected A4 that is no longer registered, even though I had previously emailed to say it's no longer registered.

Interestingly, this letter says:

"Previously, owing to the unavailability of of replacement driver airbag inflators for your vehicle, Audi offered to buy back ...
However, Audi is pleased to advise that it is now able to offer replacement parts for your vehicle."

Hate to be one of the unlucky few who got shafted in the buy back, just to find they could have kept their pride and joy.

I received another reminder for my affected A4 that is no longer registered, even though I had previously emailed to say it's no longer registered.

Interestingly, this letter says:

"Previously, owing to the unavailability of of replacement driver airbag inflators for your vehicle, Audi offered to buy back ...
However, Audi is pleased to advise that it is now able to offer replacement parts for your vehicle."

Hate to be one of the unlucky few who got shafted in the buy back, just to find they could have kept their pride and joy.

You can say that again. The same thought went through my head. My letter doesn't mention the previous campaign and I'm just going to get mine repaired on Monday and then it's all over until the next issue.

Well, the gas generator has been replaced in my A4. 1 hour from arrival to drive away. The Audi Centre Canberra provided great service and were surprised at the condition of the car, noting that most they see are nearly ready for scrap.

The thing that piqued my interest was an S3 on the floor for $82,000 drive away. I did my sums and what I paid for the A4 in 2000 was the equivalent of $120,000 in today's money. Even in the midst of the pandemic and war related shortages, you can still get a whole lot of car for that money right now. All the RS3 orders being mentioned are actually costing no more in real terms than an A4 did back then.

Well, the gas generator has been replaced in my A4. 1 hour from arrival to drive away. The Audi Centre Canberra provided great service and were surprised at the condition of the car, noting that most they see are nearly ready for scrap.

The thing that piqued my interest was an S3 on the floor for $82,000 drive away. I did my sums and what I paid for the A4 in 2000 was the equivalent of $120,000 in today's money. Even in the midst of the pandemic and war related shortages, you can still get a whole lot of car for that money right now. All the RS3 orders being mentioned are actually costing no more in real terms than an A4 did back then.

Whatever the cost in today's $$s almost all models have a trade-in value of 50% at three years after purchase.
Shame the same algorithm cannot be applied to housing!
Glad you got the GG fixed and even happier to hear the service standards at ACC remain high; on my last visit for a Year 3 service, I recognised only two members of staff from two years ago.
Based on your experience I might stump up the $$s to purchase servicing for Years 4 & 5.

Dingah

Whatever the cost in today's $$s almost all models have a trade-in value of 50% at three years after purchase.
Shame the same algorithm cannot be applied to housing!
Glad you got the GG fixed and even happier to hear the service standards at ACC remain high; on my last visit for a Year 3 service, I recognised only two members of staff from two years ago.
Based on your experience I might stump up the $$s to purchase servicing for Years 4 & 5.

Dingah

A good experience, even if it was at no cost. They didn't flash up the coffee machine until nearly 0900 though.

My observation was really that you get one hell of a lot more car right now for the same or less "today's dollar value" than 20+ years ago. If you paid $120,000 of todays dollars for a B5 A4 then you would really expect the RS3 to be valued at close to $200,000 with the vastly increased performance and outfit. The fact that is nearly half that figure is stunning. Maybe it makes up for the house price trajectory.

Trade in values have usually been a disaster since cars became commodities. The penalty for the privilege of buying a new car.

Ditto for my 2001 B5. Got the '2nd' reminder notice about the airbag replacement (didn't receive a '1st' letter...maybe lost in the mail), so I'm currently sitting in the Audi Service lounge while they do the work. Interestingly, they sent me a txt message a few days prior to confirm the booking, and it had a link to the job. I clicked the link to find it showed the booking was for a $245 service. I rang to let them know that I was only after the airbag recall work so they amended the details. When I dropped the car off, I just double checked with the reception desk that this was not in for a service, and the guy said that it just goes in their system as 'service' as they don't have a specific job number for the airbag recall. Makes sense, but I wonder how many may have dropped their car off for an airbag job, only to get a service done as that was on the job ticket. Anyway, they just told me the inflator is in stock on site, so I'll be back on the road in around an hour. All good, and the reception guy makes a great coffee!!

Back