• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

B5 RS4 Stage 3 build

A4 always garaged and RS4 suffers outside?? :shock::shock::shock:

Not what you may think. I bought the A4 in 2000 (obviously new) and it has been garaged with the exception of the few odd weeks when we have been touring ever since. So I have the perfect base on that. I have only owned the RS for 4 years and it has been religiously garaged since then. I can say for sure that the leaves in the plenum chamber show that the RS had a period when it lived outside in a previous life. Nevertheless, the RS has very few signs of an extended life in the open.

Not what you may think. I bought the A4 in 2000 (obviously new) and it has been garaged with the exception of the few odd weeks when we have been touring ever since. So I have the perfect base on that. I have only owned the RS for 4 years and it has been religiously garaged since then. I can say for sure that the leaves in the plenum chamber show that the RS had a period when it lived outside in a previous life. Nevertheless, the RS has very few signs of an extended life in the open.
Ferocious animals dont belong in the house!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Interesting re the throw out bearing. Be good to hear the outcome. I had similar rust issues. Car parked outside at some time and leaves etc blocked the drain under the tray. Not as bad as yours but an issue nevertheless. All cleaned up and painted too. It's one of the weak spots of the design. I checked my A4 which is always garaged and other than a bit of dirt washed down over the years, it is unmarked.

Every time I see your pictures I am envious of the workshop space. I'm lucky enough to have a small lift but just enough space to walk around the back and front of the car, no more. Chest high mobile tool chest, tick, but I really need somewhere to stow the contents of a million blow mould cases and grab kits. Crap everywhere when you try and find something.
Clutch masters got back to me and the gap is meant to be between 3.8mm and 4.4mm. I have set it to 4.0mm with the supplied shims and now the gearbox is back on. Its pretty ridiculous that audi used about 8 different lenghts of bolts with this gearbox. Makes it a trial and error finding the right bolts!

It is a fairly handy being able to work on the car in a workshop. Joe, the guy who owns the workshop, has been very helpful when I get stuck working on her.

Last edited:
Finished the battery bay off today.
20171019_110736-1612x1209.jpg
Rear brake lines are fabbed and installed. Forgot to take a pic of the install.
20171019_140322-1612x1209.jpg

Here is a pic of the fuel lines and where they enter the engine bay. Its basically the same as oem but they are larger.
20171019_122734-1612x1209.jpg
Lots of fiddly things done today. The fresh air flap had lost all of its insulation, so I re applied new insulation foam to it. This should helpkeep the car cool in summer as the vent now seals properly.

Impressed, you are certainly going way beyond what I envisaged way back when. So many of the potential trouble spots eliminated by renewal. I replaced my power steering reservoir yesterday. There is a strainer in the pump suction line and I had some sediment in the bottom despite the actual pump being replaced some years ago. This can't but help keep the system cleaner.

Impressed, you are certainly going way beyond what I envisaged way back when. So many of the potential trouble spots eliminated by renewal. I replaced my power steering reservoir yesterday. There is a strainer in the pump suction line and I had some sediment in the bottom despite the actual pump being replaced some years ago. This can't but help keep the system cleaner.

I think its safe to say this project has gone well beyond my initial scope of work and budget! Now I feel compelled complete it properly.

Spent half a day in the workshop today. The car is feeling really close to completion. Only lots of small things left to do. I have next week off work so will aim to spend that time getting this back on the road. October 17 was 1 year on the hoist :roll:

Here are some pics of todays progress.
20171020_082435-1612x1209.jpg
20171020_082453-1612x1209.jpg

Here the rear end is back together.
20171020_101453-1209x1612.jpg
20171020_101433-1209x1612.jpg

And here is 1 years worth of workshop dust!
20171020_083131-1612x1209.jpg

The small stuff takes the time. Watch out for the Wagner install and alignment. No idea why but the guys that installed my wagner IC 6 years ago used spacer washers everywhere. Reality is that with a bit of care, no spacers required and everything is in line. Interesting, getting the front clip installed on the allroad was straight forward. The RS has been fighting all the way. Just that little bit less room perhaps? Yours may have gone a bit OTT but in many cases it will have been easier than doing it in situ. Looking good.

What's the longevity of the gold leaf/wrap?... Looks great, but I'd be livid if it got a tear..

What's the longevity of the gold leaf/wrap?... Looks great, but I'd be livid if it got a tear..

The gold looking stuff is Zircoflex 3 gold. Its a triple layer ceramic foil with a incredible thin gold foil layer on top. The sheet is .85mm thick. Its designed as a thermal insulation barrier and is rated for up to a 85% reduction in heat transfer. Its a motorsport product designed to last 3 race seasons.
Its rated for temps of 600 degress C with contact and 900 degrees C at 20mm from heat source.
Given the thermal ceramic coating i have used on all of the exhaust components, which reduces surface temps by 33%, i have limited the peak exhaust manifold surface temp to about 600 degrees C. I feel fairly confident this stuff will last a long time. It doesnt tear naturally. It was incredibly hard to work with to achieve the finish i did. The natural responce when bending a single sheet of 3 layer material is to crease due to the different bend radius and the thickness makes it really stiff.
This stuff is very different to the gold tape you see in almost every other build. The gold on this is more bling than functional because radient infrared is not a significant source of heat in an engine bay. Conduction is, and that is what this product reduces the transfer of. It will also reflect 98% of IR due to the real gold layer.
This stuff cost about $700 per square meter.

Last edited:
Bet that caused a few fundamental orifices to pucker up :woah2:

You would think that, but then parts like this RS4 badge for the steering wheel make that seem like value for money..
20171022_033812-1612x1209.jpg
$54 for that part! Talk about RS tax!

Actually not so bad.
Anything $50 for an RS is OK value.
A few years ago they were closer to $100. All relative, Go stealth.

Actually not so bad.
Anything $50 for an RS is OK value.
A few years ago they were closer to $100. All relative, Go stealth.

They are probably that price still or more from Audi Australia. I brought this one out of eastern europe. Still seem expensive for what is essentially 1 gram of plastic. I have tried to avoid buying from Audi Australia due to the huge mark up they have. I had to buy 2 O-rings for the metal throttle body boot and got them from audi. They were $15 each. I then got an O-ring that sits between the throttle body and the and the metal boot from a mining parts supplier, this o-ring was twice the size of the other 2 and they only charged me $1. O-rings look and feel to be the same quality.

True, for almost everything there is an alternate supplier or source. Once you get that weighed off, the pain is largely lifted. Only those few items that are truly unique. I picked up a brand new front bumpa last year from some one who had planned to put it on an A4 until his panel beater set him straight. Genuine too!! One of the most likely items to be damaged in a non write off situation. A great many of the parts are actually from the VAG inventory and getting to know those and their source provides a serious saving. There aren't many O rings that you cannot get from a specialty shop. God bless 'em.

just my 2 cents, but if you want to push 500hp+ out of her, i would suggest slightly larger cat back. I dont think the stock system would be doing any favours.

By all means keep 2 mufflers (twin entry and exit after market type) and the stock rear tips, but i would at least continue the twin pipes right through to the rear.
This was mine on my old S4
Sorry i dont have any more underbody to show you
DSC00128.jpg

This will be such a epic car...
can i buy it off you when you are bored of it?? :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Back