• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Best way to get vcds?

gtguru

I’m trying to find the best way to get VCDS to use on my cars. I keep seeing the adapters for sale but price varies drastically and I don’t want to be scammed.
Any advice would be appreciated.

You can buy directly from Ross Tech, but the shipping costs are expensive, or one of the Australian distributors https://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.php
Currently you can buy one with 3 or 10 vehicle usage and there is an option to extend this through Ross Tech if you need more vehicles.

I have been reading some talk on another forum (Volkswagen) about this same issue. The advice was that where online sellers like ebay etc have used ones available you need to check if it is compatible with you vehicle and that it has available licenses left. You will also need to register it with Ross Tech which is an additional cost that may not be worth it in the long term.
Stay away from imitation versions as most said that they have been burnt going for the cheap option first.

I bought mine from Ross Tech direct about 10 years ago when freight was bearable. All the above re number of vehicles on the cable. Friends pop over and before you know it you may have maxed out.
No matter where you get it from it'll be worth whatever you paid. The behind the scenes support and community is second to none.

The 'original' one was unlimited on the number of cars/vins you could use.
Then the later version were limited by VINS.
I think they also locked the 'advanced' features for the newer models for the vin locked ones. I had the 'original' version, but then tried to scan my Kodiaq vRS and it said some of the features were locked.
I ended up upgrading to the new version.... Can't remember if that did actually unlock the advanced features or not :ROFLMAO:

From memory when I bought mine 10 years ago it was a 3 VIN model. (Hex + CAN USB) and quite some years later as it was well overtaken by newer models the VIN limit was removed by Ross Tech. All my cars are pre 2010 so no experience with later model problems. With a mod, it works quite well with the Porsche for most modules but I bought on the wrong side of a MY update and Porsche shut out a lot of their proprietry modules so I'm currently struggling with another scanner to bridge the gap.

I got caught with my 2020 Amarok. My old model wouldn't open some of the modules. I bought the newer model from Australian distributor. I ended up buying unlimited VIN, already have 4 VAG cars. I cant remember but I didn't think it was much more expensive, mind you it was 4 years ago.

The 'original' one was unlimited on the number of cars/vins you could use.
Then the later version were limited by VINS.
I think they also locked the 'advanced' features for the newer models for the vin locked ones. I had the 'original' version, but then tried to scan my Kodiaq vRS and it said some of the features were locked.
I ended up upgrading to the new version.... Can't remember if that did actually unlock the advanced features or not :ROFLMAO:
They've always been a bit pricey, I bought mine, HEX+CAN Dual -K & CAN <-> USB back in 2008 (no VIN limit, works fine on post-2010 cars), for ≈ AU$400 including shipping via FedEX.

I see the NSW AU vendor is selling the cheapest unlimited VIN version for ≈AU$800 & the 10 VIN version for ≈AU$560.

Just on buying one secondhand; "... product support is provided only to the original registered user. If you buy a second-hand HEX-USB+CAN from someone and want support, you'll still need to pay $99 to re-register the interface in your name."

I’m trying to find the best way to get VCDS to use on my cars. I keep seeing the adapters for sale but price varies drastically and I don’t want to be scammed.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I recommend you buy it either direct from Ross Tech or via one of their Australian distributors/resellers.

There is a lot of fakes out there so best to buy through the official channels.

Back