• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

EOI 90 quattro project car

coby

After procrastinating for the last 18 months, apparently it’s time to move on.
Project link -
http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/members-rides/15931-turbo-90q.html

Almost everything is in there. I might post the details of parts below in a later post.

Selling will be difficult as the car is in Coffs Harbour in storage, although I can probably provide more information than can be determined in a lengthy inspection. The car is unregistered now.

Since I stopped posting on here I’ve also changed all remaining hoses, bushes and mounts (all other than subframe bushes) ignition leads, front struts (koni adjustables) and finished and plumbed in the airbox so that it is closed loop and should pass engineering requirements. Also the tyres are quite new probably 5000km use.

There is work needed to drive this car.

• The heater core needs replacing. I ordered one to replace not realising the LHD and RHD are different, I ordered LHD! I installed it anyway so I could drive it but it isn’t mounted properly.
  • The battery has died. This is an Optima yellow top that has dropped a cell. I’ve had battles with the Australian distributor to get this replaced under warranty which still has 18 months remaining but it is difficult as I can’t get it back to Sydney. The car will start fine with a new battery which I might purchase if there is a genuine buyer so they can start the engine before buying.
  • The ignition barrel is having problems. Getting the key out is very difficult. It might need replacing.

Also, before I would consider the project finished, work would include

• Exhaust fabrication. The center section is still original, downpipe and rear section are 2.5”.
  • Dyno tuning. It has a base tune on WG boost of 5-6psi. Tuning should be easy because of the vipec but I couldn’t find a tuner I was comfortable with in Brisbane willing to do it.
  • Painting and bodywork. The paint is faded and most panels have scratches or dents. Nothing is more than aesthetic and didn’t stop me from smiling every time I drove it but there is damage.I can probably get someone to get a photo of it’s current state.

Once this is done, the work will probably never be finished if you actually drive it, you will probably want a bigger turbo some day to take advantage of the built internals. Then you’ll probably want bigger brakes. Then maybe some suspension work. It honestly will probably never end. But I enjoy that. I enjoy working on the car and seeing and feeling the benefits. If you’re considering buying it, you’ll going to want to enjoy that too!

Talking power numbers, I’d estimate the current hardware will get around 180kw/atw by finishing the exhaust and dyno tuning. By changing the exhaust manifold and turbo to something a little bigger, 250kw/atw would be very achievable.

I’ve spent somewhere around $20k on this in parts and the small amount of labour I outsourced, then there is the hours of mine and my friends time probably spilling into the thousands. Plus the base car cost of over 5k - this car owes me lots, I’m not delusional, I realise I’ll never get back what it owes me in monetary terms but I won’t take peanuts either. I can always keep it sitting there until I acquire a garage at home again.

PM me or give me a call and I'll happily discuss the details or questions.

90.jpg

Coby,
wow blast from the past mate, how u been, whats been keeping you busy and away from sydney.

last i seen ya was at that revesby dyno day, when this 80 had just started running i think..

Mate i hear ya about never ending mods, but at the same time its shame having such a well built project sitting there. Its always hard to part ways and i hope never to come to that.. but its looking more and more likely every day that i dont work on my car.

Mate i really hope there is a young soul who has a taste for the classics who is willing to pour some time and money into this little red beast.

All the best with the sale. Top car Top Bloke.

Regards
George

How are you Coby? Good luck with the sale.

Next project???

Hey George,
How are you going? I see you've built your new b5 into a beast.
You know how it goes - moved to melbourne, met a girl, suddenly no hole in my life for the car to fill.
She keeps telling me there is a new audi coming for christmas though :wink:
I love this car, the character and fun (and torture) it provides and something I won't get in a new car. I've got an golf tdi now which is great and boring.

Coby,
wow blast from the past mate, how u been, whats been keeping you busy and away from sydney.

last i seen ya was at that revesby dyno day, when this 80 had just started running i think..

Mate i hear ya about never ending mods, but at the same time its shame having such a well built project sitting there. Its always hard to part ways and i hope never to come to that.. but its looking more and more likely every day that i dont work on my car.

Mate i really hope there is a young soul who has a taste for the classics who is willing to pour some time and money into this little red beast.

All the best with the sale. Top car Top Bloke.

Regards
George

Hey Daniel
I'm thinking of getting an old bike, something nice and portable, go back to playing with carbies.
How is the R going?
Cheers

PM'd. What are you chasing ballpark?

Hi,
I'd like over 10k but I'll be realistic and consider offers close.
I'll post all the finer details of the mods I can think of next week (I've been working on a list)
Just replying to your PM now
Cheers,
Coby

Here is a list of the current configuration, I know I will have forgotten some things but I will update as I remember.

Since starting, I've done about 12,000km on the new engine although it has never been above wastegate boost levels (5-6psi) or 5000rpm due to the limited tune.

Engine
NG bottom end with ~40,000km - re-honed, acid bathed and repainted black.
NG rods and crank
ARP rod bolts
7A sump with 034 oil baffling windage tray
Forged JE pistons 8.5:1 CR
034 Multi layer steel Head gasket
ARP head studs
7A head with water manifold machining and manifold (4 coolant outlets instead of 1)
7A cams
7A sodium filled valves
034 lightweight lifters
034 High rate valve springs
7A cam cover

Spec stage 3 clutch
Machined stock flywheel
034 Silicon radiator and heater core hoses
New power steering lines (pirtek)
034 track density motor and transmission mounts
New Belts, water pump, all seals and gaskets.
I also have a spare headgasket and most of the other gaskets new ready for stage 2.:twisted:

Turbo/intake
K26 water cooled turbo
3b exhaust manifold
3b wastegate
Pirtek custom oil and water lines
Custom aluminium airbox - This uses some sort of mazda v6 air filter for cheaper servicing, its written in the owners manual
PWR water to air intercooler
Subaru intercooler water pump 12v
VW VR6 throttle body
3b Intake manifold
034 phenolic spacer
034 bypass valve
Silicon intake hoses

Fuel
034 fuel rail
RS2 replica injectors
Custom fuel lines (pirtek)
Sard adjustable FPR
Bosch 910 external fuel pump

Ignition
Holden LS1 Ignition coils (individual)
MSD 8.5mm super conductor ignition leads

ECU/Sensors
Vipec V88
3.5bar MAP sensor
Innovate wideband 02 sensor and interface
2nd water temp sensor for ECU (first is for instrument cluster)
oil temp sensor for ECU
Hall sensor on distributor for TDC
60-2 tooth wheel on crank for crank position
Insight motorsport Electronic boost controller (duty cycle control)

Body/suspension
New 034 strut mounts
New Koni adjustables front struts (same on rear although not new)
New control arm bushes
New sway bar bushes
New CV boots (Rears not yet installed)

Last edited:
Time for a bump. I'll be heading down to the shed tomorrow and can get any pictures of anything on the car if there are any requests.

It looks like my storage space may be running out so I either have to move this or find a new storage space.
Therefore I'll drop the asking price to $8500. Any lower and I'm better off breaking it into parts.

Bumping this up again, I'm open to reasonable offers for the next few weeks to someone that will have some fun with it.
The car is in Melbourne running again but not registered.
In the past two years I've been doing little bits including a rewire of some of the engine and dash and upgrading the intercooler radiator and ignition coils to COP. The heater core, battery and ignition barrel have all been replaced.
The paintwork has seen better days, small dents and faded paint everywhere. I've started readying it for a respray by sanding back stone chip marks and priming.
It really needs a tune and some small tidy up jobs (intercooler water hose rerouting mainly) and its ready to drive.

I'm moving back to Brisbane again and don't have much time to work on it anymore so I thought I'd see if anyone wants to save me from dragging it north again.

good luck with the sale mate, i bet the 5 cyl sounds awesome...

FYI the link on top of page one is broken but the link in your signature is working...

Hi Mate,

Sent you a pm can you message me your number

Cheers

Pete

Back