• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Parasitic Drain BUT not found using two multimeters

Sheffieldyorky

Hi there guys & gals
I went outside to watch a YouTube video on my laptop so I could refer to it while sat in my Audi A3 1.9Tdi 8P1 March 2009 plate.
I latched both doors and the bonnet
With my Robin AR4007 multimeter set to black lead in the common and red lead in 10a, max and the dial turned round to 10A I started getting the following readings the values kept hovering around 0.239 --- 0.240 then 0.300 then 0.560 then 0.141 then 0.112
0.073 --- 0.074.
The difference between the word "then" and the dash line --- = "then" the reading hovering backwards and forwards
The dash line ---started at the first number and finished at the second number.
While the Robin was sitting there doing its thing I used my other multimeter splinktech DM2 to check all the fuses on both
fuse boxes inside the cabin and under the hood and they ALL gave the same reading of 0.00, it got so bad I was even beginning to doubt my splinktech so I tested it on the + & - poles of the battery to get a reading I am still getting 12v etc.
But even after leaving the car for two days drains the battery, so now I uncouple the positive cable from the battery daily.
Does anybody have any ideas ?

Just checking, where are you sticking the two probes on to get the fluctuating reading? And what are you sticking across in the fuse boxes to get 0.00? Is that V or A?

Just checking, where are you sticking the two probes on to get the fluctuating reading? And what are you sticking across in the fuse boxes to get 0.00? Is that V or A?
Hi there thanks for replying to my thread.
I used this YouTube video as a guide unlike others that are on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcj1fQcWwU

I used it exactly as seen in the video my "Robin AR 4007" was the main multimeter and my "splintech DM2" was used for checking the individual fuses.

If you have any further questions I will happily answer them.
Tony

I just watched the video. The technique is measuring VOLTAGE DROP across a still-plugged-in fuse, and using the a table to read off the amount of CURRENT that would/should be going through that fuse. It's a basic voltage/resistance/current relationship.

Where you might be going wrong is that you are measuring CURRENT directly across the a fuse. You said you had the meter leads plugged in to common and 10A and dial turned to 10A, which means the meter was trying to measure CURRENT. You were not measuring VOLTAGE which is what the video was showing you to do.

Back