• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PROJECT: (R)S2 = More Power

It's a fine line bumping up the limiter.... I always freak out when told to run it at the high revs.... I know the engine can take it, but the mind says otherwise (longer term).

I suppose it all depends on how your car reacts to the limiter... if it violently drops off, that's probably better(?) for the engine, but makes driving a pain!

I've always wanted to dyno the car and check out the best shift points in all gears. So, know when to change when in 1st, then 2nd.... then how long to run in 2nd until I change to 3rd (so I know that I can go a bit higher on the RPM in 2nd because the pickup in 3rd is a bit higher than the drop in revs it experiences)..

It's a fine line bumping up the limiter.... I always freak out when told to run it at the high revs.... I know the engine can take it, but the mind says otherwise (longer term).

I suppose it all depends on how your car reacts to the limiter... if it violently drops off, that's probably better(?) for the engine, but makes driving a pain!

I've always wanted to dyno the car and check out the best shift points in all gears. So, know when to change when in 1st, then 2nd.... then how long to run in 2nd until I change to 3rd (so I know that I can go a bit higher on the RPM in 2nd because the pickup in 3rd is a bit higher than the drop in revs it experiences)..

yeah dave i would strongly suggest to plot your peak power so you yourself know your optimum shift point. It is a real eye opener on where you think your peak power is vs actual.

What i notice with mine is that peak power is approx 7800, and rev limiter is 8000, so ive got no wriggle room, especially when its travelling to the limit so quickly.
Now ive built the head correctly to withstand even 9000, but like you, i dont want to have a high rpm just for the sake of it!!

So by bumping to 8500 it gives me buffer for peak power, and then optimum shift point for when the revs drop in the next gear and im back in peak power band

Forgot to mention that baffle and breather pipe is complete.
And im virtually getting only a drop of oil in my catch can.
Works wonders now!!!
0fd950801ddac4a9994ddb89d7aa54cd.jpg
e263d362c60041cca1db4fa20dc21bcd.jpg
24e3a440a55676cebf48a11e77911feb.jpg

Went for a test run at Sydney Dragway last night

No launching off the line, just easing into it and constantly came up with a 129-130mph which im happy with.
Thats a 10 second bracket mph

Best time of the night 12.2 which isnt flash at all...
Being my first time at the track getting use to the grip off the line wasnt fun!! I was bogging down every time

and i really need new tyres as even on the strip i was losing traction in second.. :woah2:

so i tried my luck again last night at the Off street drags.

Tried to launch but just spinning all fours in 1st and 2nd.
Best i managed was a 12 sec (again not too good) but increased to 133MPH

so its definitely got a 10 sec pass somewhere in her, just need to hook up.

Time for some tyres i think, so im looking into Nitto NT01 or at a minimum NT05

Nitto NT05
nitto052953518.jpg

Nitto NT01
NT01_1.png

so i tried my luck again last night at the Off street drags.

Tried to launch but just spinning all fours in 1st and 2nd.
Best i managed was a 12 sec (again not too good) but increased to 133MPH

so its definitely got a 10 sec pass somewhere in her, just need to hook up.

Time for some tyres i think, so im looking into Nitto NT01 or at a minimum NT05
Man, those tyres are for corners!! Don't know your rules, if any, but could you try some drag tyres or the like. Pity to chew up the Nittos on straight line power games.

Too true but drag tyres are harder on the driveline. Just my opinion but I wouldn't be looking for too much grip off the line for a street/track car. Just more in gear grip. Unless your indifferent to breakages or really set on a certain ET. :)

Man, those tyres are for corners!! Don't know your rules, if any, but could you try some drag tyres or the like. Pity to chew up the Nittos on straight line power games.

My problem is finding a tyre that fits.
I can only fit a 225/40 18 because of my brake calipers. I would have loved to go down to a 17 inch but i would have to change my front brake calipers.

And drag radials dont come in that size.

Too true but drag tyres are harder on the driveline. Just my opinion but I wouldn't be looking for too much grip off the line for a street/track car. Just more in gear grip. Unless your indifferent to breakages or really set on a certain ET. :)

Well next is my gear ratios as thats posing big problems

on the 01e the drop in rpm from first to second is almost 3800rpm which puts me out of my power band by 1100rpm, so that is where im losing a lot of time on top of the spinning.
So looking into some custom ratios such as 3.00 in 1st and 2.05 in second. This will equate to only a 26-2800rpm drop from 1st to second.
Stock ratios are 3.50 and 1.89 respectively.

The remaining gears are spot on and final drive of 4.11 means im crossing the line at peak power rpm in 4th gear

Have you played with your tyre pressures? Running less will obviously give a bit more contact area but also more radial flex in the tyre wall. This will help with the hookup as the wall will absorb some of the energy resulting in less wheel spin.

If you are getting 133 MPH with those ratios then you should expect to see an even better top end with better 1-2 ratios and less early spin . Trouble is that may call for another shift just before the line.

I hate to say it, but maybe you should be looking at adjusting the tune a little to have less boost, or a smoother curve... It's the classic case of a turbo motor that's got heaps off boost when it comes on and hard to regulate with the pedal.... then again, what a great position to be in!

I hate to say it, but maybe you should be looking at adjusting the tune a little to have less boost, or a smoother curve... It's the classic case of a turbo motor that's got heaps off boost when it comes on and hard to regulate with the pedal.... then again, what a great position to be in!

Blasphemy!!!
Haha

No im going to fix my problem by fixing the ratios.
See below for my demonstration.
And PS ive settled on 2.89 and 1.92 to keep it right in the sweet spot

OEM ratios
629facc32cfe5b906360f89dff393eeb.jpg

2.89/1.92 1st/2nd custom ratios
d48810d1301a52301a5a7b240a477d16.jpg

ok, that's some serious work to get it right, pat on the back!!!

Is that an online tool? Like the drop to show you where to change...

Just to update,

looks like im going to be starting up a Group Buy for these gear sets to suit the 01E trans.
A lot of people are fed up with the oem 1-2 ratios it seems.

So im happy for anyone who wants to jump in to let me know as the guys who are going to making these gearsets need 90 days to fabricate.

PM me with your interests fellas

Back