• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Q5 2.0 TFSI Burning Oil Problems

Ive recently become new owner of an 09 A4 B8 with 2.0TFSI engine, recently topped up a litre of oil after 2 tanks of fuel (1200km approx) mix of steady and spirited driving.

Last night noticed this things pumping out smoke from the exhaust under heavy throttle which to me signifies the rings are up for replacing.

Have contacted Audi in Perth and they have quoted an oil consumption test is $595.....can anyone who has had a test done after their warranty has expired confirm that they paid this also?

I purchased this interstate and dealer is ignoring emails now so time to involve the victorian consumer protection department.

Unless any victorians can drop into rob graham motors and remind him to reply to me lol

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

It's been a long time since I started this thread and wow, seems now with the recent VW software scam things are pretty much in perspective at how some may handle a large manufacturing problem.

Anyhow since this thread is so long I want to re-iterate how my problem of my Q5 burning oil got fixed. I knows its fixed as my Q5 now has over 190,000kms on it and its been consistently burning some oil (i estimate 500ml to 700ml) but not enough to top up between services.

Note: Audi Germany AFAIK release these TPI's so its up to the local distributor and dealers to apply to accurate diagnose and fix as required :roll:

There are 2 TPI's that were applied to fix the problem:

1) TPI : 2024604-4
- Replace the carter pressure control valve
- Replace the crankshaft seal ring
- Software update

2) The second was to replace the piston rings but I don't know what the TPI number is as the dealer did not tell me at the time. I did not have the Q5 for about a week for the second TPI fix but I was driving around in a dealer borrowed brand new A6 at the time so I was not worried. But I imagine it was major work.

Basically they will try the first TPI and if oil consumption continues and it did for me, they do the second.

It was a shame that they put me through the ringer but in the end I stood my ground and they fixed it.

There could be other reasons for the excessive oil consumption in these motors but this is how mine got fixed.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Hi Guys,

It's been a long time since I started this thread and wow, seems now with the recent VW software scam things are pretty much in perspective at how some may handle a large manufacturing problem.

Anyhow since this thread is so long I want to re-iterate how my problem of my Q5 burning oil got fixed. I knows its fixed as my Q5 now has over 190,000kms on it and its been consistently burning some oil (i estimate 500ml to 700ml) but not enough to top up between services.

Note: Audi Germany AFAIK release these TPI's so its up to the local distributor and dealers to apply to accurate diagnose and fix as required :roll:

There are 2 TPI's that were applied to fix the problem:

1) TPI : 2024604-4
- Replace the carter pressure control valve
- Replace the crankshaft seal ring
- Software update

2) The second was to replace the piston rings but I don't know what the TPI number is as the dealer did not tell me at the time. I did not have the Q5 for about a week for the second TPI fix but I was driving around in a dealer borrowed brand new A6 at the time so I was not worried. But I imagine it was major work.

Basically they will try the first TPI and if oil consumption continues and it did for me, they do the second.

It was a shame that they put me through the ringer but in the end I stood my ground and they fixed it.

There could be other reasons for the excessive oil consumption in these motors but this is how mine got fixed.

Hope this helps and good luck.

thanks for the update....the saga continues

thanks for the update....the saga continues

We just had our engine rebuilt by AA at 104,000km. We had a complete service history with Audi workshops and have been noting the oil usage across the life of the car to date. AA paid for pistons rings and labour. I added rods, bearings and pretty much everything that would be a pain in the arse to get at with the engine in the car. All good, except then got gearbox malfunction the day we got it back. Now working through that issue (clutch overheat codes) partially solved by replacing the 'never needs to be replaced filter' and now hoping that replacing the battery (5 years old) and one of the gearbox temperature sensor will help. Give that the engine should now be healthy for a long time, I'll probably also get the DL501 STronic refurbished by Auto Trans Australia if I can get down to Sydney for a couple of days.
Happy to respond to any queries regarding engine and/or gearbox.
Regards,
GF

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat.
Stage 1 and 2 consumption complete (free of charge)
Stage 3 Piston O ring + Gasket replacement booked for Nov 30th.

My 2010 A5 has 34,000kms, expired warranty, and i am the 2nd owner. In spite of all this, i have managed to convinced Audi Australia to cover all costs of parts and labour by:
1.Researching the fault
2.Contacting Australian car journalist Paul Gover for advice
3.Contacting Audi Australia to advise of my situation, AND informing/reminding them of the Civil Class Action Law Suit Asghari v. Volkswagen Group of America, which lasted 3 years and was settled June 2015 re: 2.0T Piston O-Ring Design Flaw

Many owners have copped this expensive cost on the chin and it isn't right
Hope this helps fellow owners

I'm in the same boat.
Stage 1 and 2 consumption complete (free of charge)
Stage 3 Piston O ring + Gasket replacement booked for Nov 30th.

My 2010 A5 has 34,000kms, expired warranty, and i am the 2nd owner. In spite of all this, i have managed to convinced Audi Australia to cover all costs of parts and labour by:
1.Researching the fault
2.Contacting Australian car journalist Paul Gover for advice
3.Contacting Audi Australia to advise of my situation, AND informing/reminding them of the Civil Class Action Law Suit Asghari v. Volkswagen Group of America, which lasted 3 years and was settled June 2015 re: 2.0T Piston O-Ring Design Flaw

Many owners have copped this expensive cost on the chin and it isn't right
Hope this helps fellow owners

i shall be sending you a PM shortly about more deets if you dont mind.

Im not impressed about having to pay $595 to get an oil consumption test done when they know about this issue :/

Been a while since I posted in this thread.

Our Q5 is now 5 and a bit years old, and just failed an oil test at 79,000km.

It has been serviced at the same Audi dealer for it's whole life except 1 service which was done at a local mechanic due to time constraints (minor service, but he also did the brakes).

It's been using a bit of oil for it's whole life. The dealer says it needs new rings (had the PCV and crank seal done early in it's life, and that helped a lot). They are presenting a case to AA to see what they will give.

It's obviously out of warranty, so what are the chances AA will fix the issue as an act of goodwill? I was about to trade for a Q7, an X5 is looking more attractive now.

Car came back from oil testing today and failed so Im up for a new motor.

Quoted $203.50 an hour with a total of 21 hours plus the parts with came in at $5600. Pistons are $650 each!!

Needless to say im on the hunt now to find a local mechanic who can provide a quote to see if i can get the cost down.

I have a warranty plan provided by the victorian dealer who sold me the car which is void straight off the bat as the T&C's for warranty with them have been compromised before i even got the car. Dealer is being extremely unhelpful over the past 6 months and finally ended by saying "i sold you a reliable car with no defects at a great price, leave me alone and just drive the car and enjoy it."

Next step is to involve the Victorian ombudsmen and consumer protection to see if i have a case to go ahead with. Im not impressed with being sold a faulty vehicle that was confirmed by the private dealership that "this car doesnt burn oil, its had the test done and confirmed by audi to be ok" without providing any documentation to support his claim.

now im stuck trying to decide to proceed or just try and go with the consumer act about potentially sending the vehicle back and getting a full refund and just losing the courier fee and registration costs in perth and leaving him with a 10K bill to sort out for the next purchaser.

Im quite disappointed in Audi too for towing the line and knowing these motors are an issue and not covering some cost to repair granted its out of warranty, its a matter of principal.

Any updates?

Google then quote "Asghari v. Volkswagen Group of America" next time you speak with Audi, this may add some weight to your claim

negotiating an interstate refund with the dealer that provided misleading information on this lemon, im losing about 6-7K out of this negotiation

Been a while since I posted in this thread.

Our Q5 is now 5 and a bit years old, and just failed an oil test at 79,000km.

It has been serviced at the same Audi dealer for it's whole life except 1 service which was done at a local mechanic due to time constraints (minor service, but he also did the brakes).

It's been using a bit of oil for it's whole life. The dealer says it needs new rings (had the PCV and crank seal done early in it's life, and that helped a lot). They are presenting a case to AA to see what they will give.

It's obviously out of warranty, so what are the chances AA will fix the issue as an act of goodwill? I was about to trade for a Q7, an X5 is looking more attractive now.

Finally got an offer this morning, Audi and the dealer have offered to repair the vehicle for $2400. I am inclined to tell them to shove off. $2400 will pay for a lot of oil.

I am another unhappy Audi customer.

I bought my A4 near new from a Melbourne dealer in 2010 and had the first three services done in Brisbane by Audi. The next three services were done by an experienced independent.

At the first service I raised the issue of excessive oil consumption and I was fed the corporate bull**** line about "we won't do anything if the consumption is less than 1 litre per 1000km". At the time mine was about half that so i have been putting about 5 litres of oil in a year between annual services.

Unfortunately my oil consumption increased drastically late last year and when Audi did the consumption test it came out at 1.42 litres per 1000km. That would be up to 21 litres between 15,000km oil changes for a car with less than 5 litre sump capacity!!!

After months of negotiation with Audi Australia they have just refused to contribute anything to the repair cost of over $11,000. The car has a wholesale value of $12,800 to $15,300 if in good condition. So effectively my car is now worthless at 6 years old and 90,000kms.

EDIT Corrections the first four services were done by Audi dealers. The next two services were done by an independent. I bought the oil consumption issue up at the third service not the first. This was about 4 months before the warranty was due to expire.

Last edited:
I'm hopping somebody can help you with some wording, I think you need to talk to the consumer guys...

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

I'm hopping somebody can help you with some wording, I think you need to talk to the consumer guys...

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Yes I think that is my next step. I won't waste any more time in direct conversations and emails. I will lodge a complaint with fair trading Queensland and escalate to their dispute resolution process.

I have now found that Audi UK have been repairing anything over 0.5 litre per 1000km which they have publicly stated is the specification for the motor. Still too high but half what Audi Aus say. This means I should be able to prove deceptive and misleading conduct against Audi Australia for not fixing my problem under warranty at the first service.

Yes I think that is my next step. I won't waste any more time in direct conversations and emails. I will lodge a complaint with fair trading Queensland and escalate to their dispute resolution process.

I have now found that Audi UK have been repairing anything over 0.5 litre per 1000km which they have publicly stated is the specification for the motor. Still too high but half what Audi Aus say. This means I should be able to prove deceptive and misleading conduct against Audi Australia for not fixing my problem under warranty at the first service.

That AA have fixed the issue for many with a continuous Audi dealer service history demonstrates some level of acknowledgement that the issue is a design flaw (no **** Sherlock). It is not legal to deny warranty on the basis that the car has been serviced by an independent mechanic. It is not reasonable for a modern car to last less than a couple of hundred thousand kilometres. Anybody who is being stung by this should join a class action. BTW - the DL501 STronic is not much better than the engine, check all the disasters in other threads. ��

That AA have fixed the issue for many with a continuous Audi dealer service history demonstrates some level of acknowledgement that the issue is a design flaw (no **** Sherlock). It is not legal to deny warranty on the basis that the car has been serviced by an independent mechanic. It is not reasonable for a modern car to last less than a couple of hundred thousand kilometres. Anybody who is being stung by this should join a class action. BTW - the DL501 STronic is not much better than the engine, check all the disasters in other threads. ��

I have spoken to Maurice Blackburn lawyers and they weren't interested in a class action in Australia. Not a big enough problem apparently. They also said US class action laws were different, meaning I think they would have less chance of success here than was achieved in the US case.

My first 4 services were done by Audi up to 60,000 km. The last two were done by an independent. Unfortunately my claim is being made out of the statutory warranty period so I am relying on either good will from Audi Australia or the force of the Trade Practices Act to get this fixed.

I believe I have a very strong case under the TPA (1974) which is the law in force when I bought the vehicle in early 2010. We got stronger consumer protection laws in 2011.

My case is (1) the goods were of unmerchantable quality. Going less than the 100,000km warranty distance before developing a 1.42l/1000km oil consumption problem is not merchantable. Another test of merchantability is would you have bought the product if the feature/fault was explained to you. If I was told the car could use up to 1l/1000km of oil I would have been straight off to see a BMW dealer instead.

(2) they engaged in deceptive and misleading conduct by stating that the technical standard for the motor is up to 1l/1000km. They used this as the basis to not investigate or fix my problem during the warranty period and to reassure me that nothing was wrong with the car. I have now found the standard in the user manual is 0.5l/1000km the same as Audi UK have been fixing. Even this is 5 times normal consumption for a modern motor vehicle.

Back