• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Q5 2.0 TFSI Burning Oil Problems

How do you think "Consumption test is expensive"???
What is expensive ?
The Audi dealer to pour oil on the maximum measured by a special electronic tester and following the 1000 km drive and then re-measure the oil level, and then calculates the oil consumption
Audi Service Centre know what to do in case of consumption 1l oil 1000 km but it is expensive to repair

1 Litre of engine oil every 1000 km for you it was not strange or look suspicious
Did you not read the manual book that says that it is allowed to oil consumption 0.5 l/1000 km

How many miles has your car ????
Try lodge an appeal general manager of Audi service

Sorry for my english

Appreciated your comments. I have read the manual book carefully and I believe the manual mentions 0.5 litre per 1000 KMs. My car burns 1 Litre of engine oil per 1000 KMs. What i believe from reading all the posts, this is a sign of problem.

Since my car is out of warranty, Audi Service Centre want to charge me for the whole day of consumption test. I think it's unnecessarily to perform consumption test since my car is consistently burning 1 Litre of engine oil per 1000 KMs since i bought this car. I'm happy to pay for the full cost if someone can advise me what exactly i need to fix this problem so i can go back and tell Audi Service Centre to fix my car.

Going back to the history of this car, when i bought this car brand new back in 2009, and I advised the Audi Service Centre that my car is burning 1 litre of engine oil per 1000 KMs and they told me specifically that it's normal for Audi car. I'm only found out this problem when i started reading OZ Audi forum (thanks for that).

Going back to the history of this car, when i bought this car brand new back in 2009, and I advised the Audi Service Centre that my car is burning 1 litre of engine oil per 1000 KMs and they told me specifically that it's normal for Audi car.

Is this 'documented' in some way (say on a service invoice)?

Any chance you can pass it over :p

Audi also told me that the oil consumption test was "very expensive" to run, dont see how....

on this note, can anyone also confirm if other dealers have made the same claim that engine oil top ups are free even after the warranty period is over?

Any chance you can pass it over :p

Audi also told me that the oil consumption test was "very expensive" to run, dont see how....

Impossible because it is a program size 45GB (Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda) for all models of cars :( + plus on-line upgrade

I really do not understand what it is "very expensive" for oil consumption test :?: :?:
The procedure is as follows: pour the new oil measured with electronic devices and with special oil dipstick
The car drives next 1000 km and then again in the service to measure the oil
Then compare the amount of oil consumption we get

Sorry for my english

Appreciated your comments. I have read the manual book carefully and I believe the manual mentions 0.5 litre per 1000 KMs. My car burns 1 Litre of engine oil per 1000 KMs. What i believe from reading all the posts, this is a sign of problem.

Since my car is out of warranty, Audi Service Centre want to charge me for the whole day of consumption test. I think it's unnecessarily to perform consumption test since my car is consistently burning 1 Litre of engine oil per 1000 KMs since i bought this car. I'm happy to pay for the full cost if someone can advise me what exactly i need to fix this problem so i can go back and tell Audi Service Centre to fix my car.

Going back to the history of this car, when i bought this car brand new back in 2009, and I advised the Audi Service Centre that my car is burning 1 litre of engine oil per 1000 KMs and they told me specifically that it's normal for Audi car. I'm only found out this problem when i started reading OZ Audi forum (thanks for that).

- First stage:
PRV valve replace
Crankshaft Vibration Damper
Crankshaft Seal
Software update
If continued burned oil at same rate followed
-second stage
4 set new pistons
Lots of gaskets

Good luck
Apologize for my English

- First stage:
PRV valve replace
Crankshaft Vibration Damper
Crankshaft Seal
Software update
If continued burned oil at same rate followed
-second stage
4 set new pistons
Lots of gaskets

Good luck
Apologize for my English

Thanks for that. Do you know the estimate cost for First stage and Second stage?

Thanks for that. Do you know the estimate cost for First stage and Second stage?
I can only tell you the price in Europe.
I will send you a message to PM

Last edited:
Impossible because it is a program size 45GB (Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda) for all models of cars :( + plus on-line upgrade

I really do not understand what it is "very expensive" for oil consumption test :?: :?:
The procedure is as follows: pour the new oil measured with electronic devices and with special oil dipstick
The car drives next 1000 km and then again in the service to measure the oil
Then compare the amount of oil consumption we get

Sorry for my english

What about the cost of replacing the crankcase breather and crankcase seal?
Can you PM me the price as well please :)

The oil consumption test is actually abit more than just checking off the stick. They use the VAS computer to run a test. It measures the amount of oil in grams that is filled into the motor, and then after a period >1000km the oil is dumped and weighed. Figures are punched in and it will calculate the consumption.

If the car has a full service history you can try and get the repairs done through goodwill.

Almost 800km into my Stage 1 testing and I have only dropped 2 bars of oil in the MMI. I'm assuming this means the "FIX" has worked and wont pass for the Stage 2 work.

My question is, should I bother extracting some oil in order to pass for the Stage 2 work?

Almost 800km into my Stage 1 testing and I have only dropped 2 bars of oil in the MMI. I'm assuming this means the "FIX" has worked and wont pass for the Stage 2 work.

My question is, should I bother extracting some oil in order to pass for the Stage 2 work?

Glad to know your car only dropped 2 bars. I'm still waiting for my car to get book in next Tuesday, 23rd of October for stage 1 test. They insisted me to pay $329 for consumption test is because my car is out of warranty...not happy :(.

Glad to know your car only dropped 2 bars. I'm still waiting for my car to get book in next Tuesday, 23rd of October for stage 1 test. They insisted me to pay $329 for consumption test is because my car is out of warranty...not happy :(.

Hrmm not sure about that..
Id definitely chase it up with Audi Australia, you shouldn't have to pay!

I had our Q5 given the 1000km test and when it was taken in after 1000km the oil light was on to indicate it had used 1 litre of oil. The dealer advised that they had not carried out the computer recording of the start of the test correctly and as a result they would have to do the test again. Now after 500km, the indicator says it has not used any oil at all. Have they done something different for the second test?

I had our Q5 given the 1000km test and when it was taken in after 1000km the oil light was on to indicate it had used 1 litre of oil. The dealer advised that they had not carried out the computer recording of the start of the test correctly and as a result they would have to do the test again. Now after 500km, the indicator says it has not used any oil at all. Have they done something different for the second test?

Maybe they didn't fill it up to the max the first time? Also if you drive a lot of freeways and/or drive the car hard on the second test, it will burn less oil. Did you calculate your oil consumption before they did the tests?

Anyone having any good outcomes with this?

I'm still finding that my 2.0TFSI is chewing the recommended max to min level of oil within about 2-3000 kms. Sitting on 46,000 on the odometer and 9 months out of warranty. I've already had the gearbox replaced (in warranty).

My usage doesn't seem as high as the worst offenders here but it is worrying. Previously owned vehicles have been VY Commodore 3.8 V6, VE Calais V 6.0 V8, ML63 AMG 6.2 V8, and an ML320 3.2 V6. None have needed as much oil in their whole lives as this 2.0 needs every 10k kms.

Will have to go harass Audi Centre Sydney this weekend.

Tallaijohn - Ours 'passed' and when I said it could not be, I noticed they had NOT recorded correct start odometer value. So test had to be redone. This then showed AUDI Q5 was using over 1litre per 1000km. Engine being rebuilt. Don't take NO for an answer or be fobbed off. Be persistent and keep a detailed record.

devil666 - 1 litre per 2000kms is still very high IMHO. You will run through oil before next service making service intervals a moot point. I would press and have the problem fixed. Audi line appears to be its 'the design of the engine', 'its within design tolerances' etc.

Also ensure its documented in your service record. Keep a detailed record of mileage/how much oil is used etc for your records too.

Last edited:
Back