• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

RS6 - C6 - 5.0l v10 TT

pklifter

Hi,

I've been doing some research lately on the C6 RS6. What are peoples thoughts on these beasts. I'm aware of common issues like the seal at the back of the engine that needs the engine to come out.

What I'm also curious about however is the internals of the engine, the realiability of the engine, turbos and gearbox.

Also parts. Where do people buy their parts for their audi's in australia from? Would parts (possibly a spare engine) be very expensive?

I know they run about 23psi standard which does sound like a lot but given it's spread over 10cyl it's really not a lot of load.

If I decide to chase one of these. I will happily wait until one becomes available. Not in any rush at all. I really just want something to work on and in a way, restore and conserve it. As I would probably be doing at most 5,000kms a year in it.

I did try and search 'rs6 c6" but it returned no results.

Kind Regards
Pklifter

All the RS6 versions are complex in a way. Most have minimal miles up so you would need the worst type of Monday-Friday car to even think about engine work and needing a spare. No matter what the reputation, cars vary within the model. My RS6 has been a dream whereas some others have a litiny of niggles that would be extremely frustrating. So, in part luck, in part your driving habits that will influence the joy or otherwise of your ownership.

Servicing or repairs could entail major component removal and you'll just have to suck it up if or when. Real issue is that this is more likely later in life when other parts have become NLA so a straight forward job becomes a minor nightmare.

Personally I'd pass on buying major spare units unless you become aware they are becoming unobtainable. Save your money for the inevitable bits that will break and in that case UK or Europe is likely your best source. Don't believe the US ever got them.

Get on a forum where that model has a prolific following and get some day to day info on what is what. Not trying to bump you off here but there are horses for courses and the older RS models just don't have a following in Australia like they do OS.

Personal opinion again but the real stars in the RS range of cars has always been the first model, not the best but the most desireable over time. The later models are all great cars but I have my doubts they will be the stars of the future.

If you can afford the ownership costs and it presses your buttons, then just do it. A year in and my RS6 owes me twice the purchase price. A lot of minor work on day one, a few major spares (gearbox and TC inc) because they are basically unavailable and the huge benefit that the USA got this model for one year so there is a healthy source of spares both OE and OEM, which is a serious bonus.

Last edited:
All the RS6 versions are complex in a way.

They sure are. I was watching the Audi Training video on the dry sump and oil system. Next I will be watching the cooling system.

Servicing or repairs could entail major component removal and you'll just have to suck it up if or when. Real issue is that this is more likely later in life when other parts have become NLA so a straight forward job becomes a minor nightmare.

Yeah it's the availability of parts that worries me. Particular here in Australia. I don't mind ordering from OS (as it's probably cheaper anyway) but since they only produced these for a few years I imagine parts are going to become more and more rare. On the flip side of that, the rarety kind pulls me to it.

Save your money for the inevitable bits that will break and in that case UK or Europe is likely your best source.

Which parts would they be? If I ever needed to replace the turbo's I would simply replace with TT1000 or even TT850 etc. Engine internals rebuild would obviously be easy enough. Gearbox maybe not so easy. I saw a post where a fellla in scotland was having Nizpro here in Aus doing something with the gearbox, not sure exactly what though.

If you can afford the ownership costs and it presses your buttons, then just do it. A year in and my RS6 owes me twice the purchase price. A lot of minor work on day one, a few major spares (gearbox and TC inc) because they are basically unavailable and the huge benefit that the USA got this model for one year so there is a healthy source of spares both OE and OEM, which is a serious bonus.

It definitely intrigues me more than any other car does. I wouldn't be driving it often as I WFH now. So if it was off the road waiting for a part it wouldn't be the end of the world. However if I couldn't find that part, that scares me. Even looking at the larger chip tuner shops in the UK. I can see that most audi models are available for parts and chips etc but the C6 RS6 isn't often an option to select. It seems that since so little of them were produced it's not worth the shops 'supporting' them, I guess.

Any ideas on a good price to pay for one. I wouldn't ever buy any car with over 100,000kms (it's just my preference). If one is not available under 100,000kms then I would look to another model.

I will definitely be staying away from any Hot V setup if I end up looking at other cars. The fact that the C6 has the turbos on the outside of the V10 makes it very attractive to me.

Last edited:
Yeah it's the availability of parts that worries me. Particular here in Australia. I don't mind ordering from OS (as it's probably cheaper anyway) but since they only produced these for a few years I imagine parts are going to become more and more rare. On the flip side of that, the rarety kind pulls me to it.

Which parts would they be? If I ever needed to replace the turbo's I would simply replace with TT1000 or even TT850 etc. Engine internals rebuild would obviously be easy enough. Gearbox maybe not so easy. I saw a post where a fellla in scotland was having Nizpro here in Aus doing something with the gearbox, not sure exactly what though.
A TT850 on a 2.5 ltr motor, you could roll a fag or have a meal while waiting for it to spool up. These cars are high speed Bahnstormers, you'll never see the top end in Aus and ruin the mid range that makes them special.

Pretty much by definition the sort of car that attracts you is likley to be rare so parts will always be likewise. Sort of goes with the territory. Haven't quite worked out why you think that the mechanicals are likely to fail. My two bobs worth, you'll spend enough keeping one on the road in standard trim without building a 1000 HP monster.

A TT850 on a 2.5 ltr motor, you could roll a fag or have a meal while waiting for it to spool up. These cars are high speed Bahnstormers, you'll never see the top end in Aus and ruin the mid range that makes them special.

Pretty much by definition the sort of car that attracts you is likley to be rare so parts will always be likewise. Sort of goes with the territory. Haven't quite worked out why you think that the mechanicals are likely to fail. My two bobs worth, you'll spend enough keeping one on the road in standard trim without building a 1000 HP monster.

I was talking about this turbo kit. https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...upgrade-turbochargers-rs6-c6-5-0t-v10.235101/

Its kinda the rareness of it but it's more the comfort and power as well as not very flashy at all. My second car was a soarer kinda in the same boat at these. I'm not comparing them of course.

Maybe just personal experience, everything fails for me. After watching videos about the cooling, oil system etc I now know how complex the whole thing really is. In my mind complex means not so reliable so trying to factor that in.

Back