• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

sport quattro style bonnet

quattro84

I've always liked the sport quattro style bonnets and recently after a random search on Ebay UK i came across this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-sport-quattro-S1-A2-UR-quattro-bonnet-/161051765140 I contacted the guy regarding freight to Australia as the price in the ebay ad seemed to cheap, his come back with a rough quote of £275 giving a total of £750 for the bonnet shipped to Australia. I still need to add vents and painting so i'm guessing i'm not going to get much change from around $1600 to complete this project. The paint on my current bonnet is peeling and needs new paint anyway (pretty annoying as i had it painted around 5 years ago)

The car is a 1984 ur quattro, completely stock standard, i don't plan on doing any major mods to it however really like the look of sport q style bonnets. Do any of you guys have any experience with this seller? or know of an alternative source for these bonnets? I'm finding it hard to justify spending this kind of $$, does the price seem reasonable or to high?

Below is a pic of my car taken a few years back

ur1.jpg

Nice looking machine q84 :)

Not sure whether or not if you would consider it sacrilege, but what about vinyl wrapping the bonnet as a cheaper alternative?

As for the price for the bonnet, it seems ok although you might want to quiz around people who has had that installed I.e. fitment issues etc. Probably need to consider flushed bonnet pins as well if you do go ahead. These things are pretty light. I bought an FRP bonnet for my Jap car from overseas many moons ago and couldn't believe how light they were.

Nice looking machine q84 :)

Not sure whether or not if you would consider it sacrilege, but what about vinyl wrapping the bonnet as a cheaper alternative?

As for the price for the bonnet, it seems ok although you might want to quiz around people who has had that installed I.e. fitment issues etc. Probably need to consider flushed bonnet pins as well if you do go ahead. These things are pretty light. I bought an FRP bonnet for my Jap car from overseas many moons ago and couldn't believe how light they were.

I assume by vinyl rap your referring to a carbon look bonnet? My intention would be to have the bonnet painted tornado red so that it matches the rest of the car. I think i'd leave the underside carbon/ kevlar though as it does look good.

In case anyone else might be interested, below are responses to a heap of questions i asked

1- yes the bonnet attaches to your existing bonnet hinges.
2- Yes, theres an option, you can choose either variation, with or without heater vents.
3- You need to let me know wether you want to use your standard bonnet pins that are fitted in your bonnet, or you are going to fit the rally style.
If you want to use your pins, I need to fit a plate with a captive nut before I bond the 2 halves together.
4- yes, there is a gelcoat finish on the face, top side of the bonnet and the frame work underneath. The top side is usually white, your painter will rub it down and paint it to your cars colour. the under side can be white, in the photos its clear to show off the beautiful finish and colours of the carbon / kevlar, your choice, whether your going to paint the underneath or not.
5- The bonnet has been moulded off a genuine Audi item, so any thing you buy that is Audi or remade for Audi will fit. I have a contact email for a guy who makes the vents. The rally cars just use wire mesh.
6- You could stick a silver reflective material on the underside, although I don't think its necessary on a road car.
7- At the moment I have 2 weeks work ahead of me, If you payed me tomorrow, it would be shipped on the Tues 16th July. As orders come in and are payed for it will be set further back.
8- The bonnet price of £475 is fixed, if you want the captive nuts fitting for the pins, I won't charge you extra. The shipping cost is as it comes , i'm afraid. But i did just get a ball park quote to Australia, i'm sure I can work on it, but can't be accurate until your ready to order as prices fluctuate.
9- if you send me your email, I'll take some photos of an installed

On the fitment issues, i guess anything aftermarket will never by quite perfect however being a mould off a genuine Audi item helps.

When i get some photo's i'll post these up too.

Would anyone else be interested in one of these bonnets? could potentially be some savings involved if we order a few.

is it molded of a quattro bonnet or a sport qauttro bonnet? As the sport ones are a different shape.

I remember in an old evo mag (may even have been back sofar as to be performance car) where a guy had the sport style one on his UR...looked terrible.

Not necessarily. Vinyl wrapping do come in a range of colours and hues these days. But certainly is no comparison to a bonnet replacement, just a different price point.

ok, haven't looked in to vinyl rap before. This would be an alternative to painting then. I'll have to look into it, first things that come to mind are color matching to the existing paintwork and durability.

is it molded of a quattro bonnet or a sport qauttro bonnet? As the sport ones are a different shape.

I remember in an old evo mag (may even have been back sofar as to be performance car) where a guy had the sport style one on his UR...looked terrible.

Good point, the one in the eBay ad does look like its more the sport quattro style with the extended more rounded front to make way for the larger inter-cooler and different front grill. I'm basically after a bonnet which is dimensionaly the same however with the additional vents. I think this would also help given the ur quattro can get pretty hot under the bonnet (due to limited ventilation of the engine bay).

I will wait for the photos to come through before making a decision.

Nice car leave it standard. Modified cars of this age look a bit max power.
It says all it needs to by being what it is.

max power, hahaha that sums it up perfectly.

Back