• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Steering wheel knocking after replacing CV boot

ATres

Hi, hoping I can get some guidance with an issue I'm having after replacing the front outer cv boot on my B8 Q5.

I replaced the cv boot straight away after finding grease all over the inside of my wheel, but after replacing it I am now getting a knocking sound when I turn the steering wheel. It's almost like the steering wheel is trying to slightly pull in a different direction. The knocking is only when turning the wheel, and not on a straight line or over bumps. Before replacing the cv boot, I did not hear any knocking sounds whatsoever, or any other odd noises coming from the car.

I used the OEM boot kit and followed the instructions from the repair manual. I thought everything went smooth and I didn't run into any major issues. The only issue I encountered was when trying to remove the joint from the shaft by using a copper drift and hammer against the inner race of the joint. It was really hard to remove the joint and I found myself hitting the copper drift really hard with the hammer to get it past the circlip.

I didn't dismantle the cage/balls from the joint because the small amount of grease remaining looked clean and I didn't feel any grit. Also, the swivel ball hub, ball cage and balls moved around smooth and free, so I cleaned as much grease as I could from the outside of the joint before adding new grease. I couldn't visibly see any wear or damage, but as I said, I caught the boot tear very quickly and the car was not making any knocking noises before replacing the cv boot.

Any ideas or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Back