• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sticky: Random chat thread

QUOTE=IchBautAuto;485347]Any mechanic who has over torqued a nut, used an incompatible coolant, used a sealant on a non sealant gasket clearly has failed the basics test[/QUOTE]

Which is every licensed mechanic ever.
I don't know of even 1 mechanic who torques EVERY nut and bolt.

I recently purchased a VW Touareg. The battery is installed under the passengers seat. I wanted to have a look and make sure everything was OK, terminals clean and tight etc.

VW provide no instructions other than go to a VW centre. You Tube has many videos so I thought I would watch a few to see what people might have come accross in their access efforts. Well, 3 out of the 4 videos I chose to watch were wrong. Sure, it did work after a style but instead of making use of the built in hinge system to access the battery they started from the top by removing the whole seat. No mention of not reusing the stretch bolts etc. Just one example of where forums and videos can be misleading and give you totally wrong information which won't improve your actual skills.

So Tony, did VW provide you with instructions on HOW to get to a VW centre?

Your experience with the battery compartment reminds me of some clips I watched of people releasing electronic parking brakes without an OBD tool. I have the cable so it was never going to be a problem but I thought I'll see what trick they were using. They were practically breaking the motor to release the pads. Lot's of DIYers posting solutions that are just scary. This is where judgment comes in and to do that, you need the basics of maths and science to tell "I think that's how it will break". Many clips are helpful, like showing where the nuts and bolts are located, but many just point you i nthe wrong direction.

QUOTE=IchBautAuto;485347]Any mechanic who has over torqued a nut, used an incompatible coolant, used a sealant on a non sealant gasket clearly has failed the basics test

I don't know of even 1 mechanic who torques EVERY nut and bolt.[/QUOTE]

Attention to detail would show I didn't say that, although every time you tighten a fastner you apply an unmeasured torque to it so in practice every mechanic does torque every fastner, albeit unmeasured by an instrument or device. The number of guys I have seen who just hang off a spanner or socket, no matter what diameter or grade of steel the fastener, is amazing. The intent was to point out that if you have some mechanical aptitude then you might modify the bull at a gate approach to suit the work in hand. Just knowing where a part is on a car and having a spanner that fits does not a mechanic make. Second Touareg story, the 12 star bolts that hold the free end of the pivot system for the front seat. The past owners of this always put it in to mechanics to do everything and yet one of the bolt heads was stripped and the bolt replaced using vice grips. Nicely hidden away so not so obvious.

Last edited:
So Tony, did VW provide you with instructions on HOW to get to a VW centre?

Your experience with the battery compartment reminds me of some clips I watched of people releasing electronic parking brakes without an OBD tool. I have the cable so it was never going to be a problem but I thought I'll see what trick they were using. They were practically breaking the motor to release the pads. Lot's of DIYers posting solutions that are just scary. This is where judgment comes in and to do that, you need the basics of maths and science to tell "I think that's how it will break". Many clips are helpful, like showing where the nuts and bolts are located, but many just point you in the wrong direction.

Yes, the address of every service centre in Australia (at the time the car was sold new) is provided. They didn't get to the point of whether I should walk or catch a taxi or book a tow.
No issues with films or forum advice, it just helps if you have enough knowledge to know when the advice is BS. It is about the only place to find out some things, like in this case that if I removed some tiny trim pieces in the carpet I would find the two bolts that secure the hinge mechanism. The seat slide securing bolts stare you in the face and it would be an automatic assumption that this was the way to do it, which most did. Basically somewhere at some time I recalled that a hinge system was involved so that was what made me cautious about the first few videos.

QUOTE=IchBautAuto;485347]Any mechanic who has over torqued a nut, used an incompatible coolant, used a sealant on a non sealant gasket clearly has failed the basics test

I don't know of even 1 mechanic who torques EVERY nut and bolt.[/QUOTE]

A different response which you no doubt know, time is money. People just aren't prepared to pay for the hours to do a job properly. Read through any forum and there are people asking how to get something done cheaper. They do complain loudly though when it isn't up to scratch. By contrast, not one of these people would be asking a surgeon to skip a few step or just get it done if he / she were operating on them. It's all in the perception of what people consider important.

My final comment would be that if you are doing work for yourself on your own car then what standard will you accept? Forums and videos can help with aspects of a job, but they sure do not provide any assurance of it being done correctly. A recent example. I recently purchased a VW Touareg. The battery is installed under the passengers seat. I wanted to have a look and make sure everything was OK, terminals clean and tight etc.

VW provide no instructions other than go to a VW centre. You Tube has many videos so I thought I would watch a few to see what people might have come accross in their access efforts. Well, 3 out of the 4 videos I chose to watch were wrong. Sure, it did work after a style but instead of making use of the built in hinge system to access the battery they started from the top by removing the whole seat. No mention of not reusing the stretch bolts etc. Just one example of where forums and videos can be misleading and give you totally wrong information which won't improve your actual skills.
If you can get access to the VW/Audi Service Manuals (eg ELSAWIN) I highly recommend it IchBautAuto. They provide detailed step by step instructions that mean almost anyone can do many basic service procedures (remove trim panels, seats, bumpers, carry out a brake service etc). It also talks to the issue of single use bolts (where relevant) and torque settings.

Alister, I have ELSAWIN and my experience is that many basic steps are omitted from most procedures I have needed to access as VAG intended the software for factory trained mechanics. Maybe we should get back to watches and keyboards, or the weather. Forums are not particularly suitable places to discuss formal technical issues where people have various perspectives from their lived experience. At least face to face you can sort it out without causing offence rather than having a comment cause WW3. I make no apologies for being a 5 year apprentice from the old school who spent a lot of time on mission critical maintenance and operation, both as a maintainer and later as a degreed Engineer. It puts a different perspective on the quality of your work to that the average K Mart Auto or Ultratune shop might consider acceptable.

Last edited:
Sorry IchBautAuto, that's just the way it came across.

If ghe offence talk was about me I didn't take offence, but just trying to give some realistic feedback.
I also did work for kmart tyre and auto for 5.5 years a while back, and let me tell you, they have gone VERY down hill in customer service.
Got my last set of tyres of their black Friday 50% off pirelli sale, and got dicked around on the appointment.
Travelled a 300km round trip to be told the tyres aren't in yet. They didn't have my phone number, but DID have my email.
Absolute joke.

Honestly, would be nice to have to the time to and repetitiveness to actually torque everything to manufacturers spec.

The older I get, the less I like to just wing it.

What's on for the weekend?

Meant to be dumping rain tomorrow here, so either staying home, or heading to Canberra.

Kids swimming, the violin..
I'm then trying to finish renovating the wife walk in (ok, you can walk in two steps, it's small!), but haven't even put on first coat of paint and don't know what shelves to buy and install.
Am supposed to have it all done by tomorrow afternoon... not sure I'll make it

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Small walk in is still better than no walk in.
You can finish it, I believe in you.

Sorry IchBautAuto, that's just the way it came across.

If ghe offence talk was about me I didn't take offence, but just trying to give some realistic feedback.
I also did work for kmart tyre and auto for 5.5 years a while back, and let me tell you, they have gone VERY down hill in customer service.
Got my last set of tyres of their black Friday 50% off pirelli sale, and got dicked around on the appointment.
Travelled a 300km round trip to be told the tyres aren't in yet. They didn't have my phone number, but DID have my email.
Absolute joke.

Nah, no offence. Chat needs to be light and fluffy. We used to have rules when away for a long time, no talk about Religion, Politics or Women. The days before Forums but even then, the Holden / Ford /Chrysler debate could raise fists so perhaps that should have been in the rules too.

Final comment, you can tell the good mechanic when he / she is working on their own car with no time or cost constraints and they don't cut corners. Being at work usually throws in a curve ball.

Nah, no offence. Chat needs to be light and fluffy. We used to have rules when away for a long time, no talk about Religion, Politics or Women. The days before Forums but even then, the Holden / Ford /Chrysler debate could raise fists so perhaps that should have been in the rules too.

Final comment, you can tell the good mechanic when he / she is working on their own car with no time or cost constraints and they don't cut corners. Being at work usually throws in a curve ball.

A real mechanic with no cost restraints? Bah ha ha ha.

But srsly, light vehicle mechanics dont get paid a lot.

Also, I have an appreciation for all cars.
When you really think about it, every car was bought brand new at some point with someone spending the money on their choice of *that* car.
To some, it will be the largest purchase they ever make.
So, I respect that decision.

And I'm happy to have discussions with those who have different view points. Even though most(incl myself) won't change their mind, if we only ever hear the 1 narrative, how are we even meant to decide?

A real mechanic with no cost restraints? Bah ha ha ha.

But srsly, light vehicle mechanics dont get paid a lot.................................

I did say working on their own car, thinking something a bit special rather than the runabout. There was a time when many mechanics were car mad and tinkered away in their own time for their own satisfaction. Your work on that in your own time is not constrained by an employers requirements. You can take a break if you run out of cash. The standard is, or should be, a good reflection on the mechanics attitude and skill. As you know, the standard comment in the trade about mechanics cars might be true in some cases and perhaps inevitable under the circumstances.

Perhaps this is all too difficult. Change topic to the weather. It honked down over night but turned into a very nice Autumn day from late morning. If you made it to Canberra then you should have had a great day.

Yeah my special car has been in progress for 5 years so far.
I have time, but lack funds and motivation.

Didn't end up in Canberra, but was a cracking day down here.
Sun stayed out all day.
Ended up grocery shopping and washing my unfirom.

With all the rain, it looks like lawn has been washed

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

It was actually still very soft.
Could feel my feet sink slightly each step.
More rain and cold temps expected here late this week.
Apparently forecast for snow.
Will see if it actually falls.....

It's been a vicious cycle. The grounds been too wet to mow so the grass grows more, which retains even more water so it stays wet, I'm on a ride on and last time I tried it got bogged and had to be towed out.

Back