• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Long Grind- Moving away from black on black on black

smit2100

. WARNiNG LONG POSTS AHEAD. I'M OLD SCHOOL AND NONE OF THIS 150 CHARACTER LIMIT BULLTISH.

Patience is a virtue and we lived in interesting times particularly with Covid 19. I posted on here pre Covid R8 V10 manuals are unicorns and had one or two had also opined on that view. It took me 4 years to land one and during that time much research and watching youtube videos of anything R8 was endured

Having now landing one and still trying to get my hands from dealers / Audi Australia ( alot of passing the buck and getting pi$$$×$about and none the wiser) on numbers of gated manuals to support my unicorn experience, looking to bring my newly acquired R8 back to some awesomeness in my own mind ( in aspired by a b5 rs4 thread back yesterday decade ago of bringing a b5 rs4 (best shopping trolley cart out there bang for buck wise - my view at the time back in the day) back to awesomeness. So a bit of a spin on plagarism going back to the future.

So a similar starting point as that b5 rs4 ( avid poster who still contributes today brought it off the guy who came up with the awesome b5 rs4 thread). Bit of back to the future for me as well, as posted a truck load of posts back in the day ( strictly stuck to my swimlane) of opining on a black b5 s4 based on my journey over circa 8 years of taking a stock b5 s4 with high km's to stage 3 with circa 300kw at the wheels..

So the baseline for this thread is in June 2024, is:
Black duco
Black stock five spoke 19 inch rims
Black interior
Black audi 4 ring badges
Black exhaust tips
but has the highly rated on my box ticking ranking of a v10 carbon fibre airbox cover that ties into factory carbon side blades and bookended by carbon fibre front splitter and rear splitter. Interior wise has some carbon fibre on door handles with double white leather stitching on your guested it black interior.
Also has a you guessed it again a replacement honey comb front BLACK grill.

Each to their own what you like, but for me not digging the murdered out black look.

Given my view on unicornness, may have been waiting for a decade if I had my ideal spec of white v10 manual with carbon fibre everything from factory and murdered out black look on everything else wheels / badges / splitters and diamond stitched in white thread on black leather , and with my budget, that may have been a 10 year search. So had to lower my box ticking score with 1) gated manual and 2) V10 3) price everything else is you get what you get.

So I lucked out on murdered out black.

One big bonus is the car has an exhaust with none of this fob key business, but a wired in switch in the center cubby section where I assume the cig lighter was. Awesome setup for that and button has a red led on the BLACK button that light up to confirm exhaslust valves switched

I have no clue on the exhaust brand. Convinced it's not what I would have chosen. If I landed a stock one, first mod would have been a Larini clubsport ( loud valved switchable with a fob key).

So time poor at the moment with work committments and registering the car is even a low on the priority list and itching to sorting that out along with itching to detailing the car myself.

So detailing is my first step on my journey. I'm too much of a tight arse to pay for that and do enjoy starting with a dirty car and looking back on before and after. That being said being black, the shine degrades within 2 weeks.

My rating of the car, pre setting eyes on it ( only saw it in the flesh when the tow trucker driver rang me this week with an unexpected call earlier in the week saying, Maaate, I'm heading to port to pick you car Am I dropping it back to the depo or your place ( can be there within 1.0 hour I reckon). Fortuntely one of the only few days in over a year when I was working from home. Nice lunchtime distraction was to see the car go past on a truck. The truck driver said , maaate how goods that gated gearbox. I said Maaaaaate you tell me, never driven one.

The truck driver was just as pumped about the car as me.

So the interior based on pics I had, reflected far from pristine and reflected age of the car and k's travelled. Not like my boosted porsche which is aged 30% more and 15% less km was in much better initial condition

Spewing I can't go on a min 8 hour detailing bender and all arvo / nighter. Also and waiting on a custome car cover with custom R8 logo so no point going a full detail in absence of having a car cover

So would rate interior as 6.5/ 10 pre purchase on pics. After delivery and first eyeballsxafter sitting in the car, still 6.5.

Could'nt resist doing a 40 minute first pass on a back of a seat and a front section. Pleasantly surprised with the result
20240622_141347.jpg
So used carpro express X diluted 1 to 20 with a smidge of aldi stain remover ( tinge of eucalyptus scent) . Horse haired detailing brush, magic eraser and microfibers. Will come up a bit better after I apply aerospace 303? on it

Pleasantly surprised with above pic. ( idiot operator error with not doing a full before pic) Another 3 to 4 hours of the same on the interior and reckon can move it from 6.5 to 7.5 with my mix of go to chemicals and youtube self plagiarized cleaning techniques .

This post is too long and need to shut it down

What's your thoughts on the comparative pic?

Last edited by a moderator:
non comparison pic, so I can't rate it for you!

but.. pic you did load looks great. normal bum print in base as is standard with car of this age.

Sent from my SM-S926B using Tapatalk

The B5 RS4 in the thread is still awesome, ask me!! Good to see you back and stuck into it again. Try Swissvax. The RS6 has as much carbon fibre but most of it is stuck under the bonnet where you can't see it.
Looking good though and you'll have your work cut out to do an awesomness thread, I just re-read it and there is a lot there. The bit of interior I can see looks good, For 15 years use, I'd be happy.

The B5 RS4 in the thread is still awesome, ask me!! Good to see you back and stuck into it again. Try Swissvax. The RS6 has as much carbon fibre but most of it is stuck under the bonnet where you can't see it. Looking good though and you'll have your work cut out to do an awesomness thread, I just re-read it and there is a lot there. The bit of interior I can see looks good, For 15 years use, I'd be happy.

Yes I didn't want to drop your sig as the beneficiary of the awesome thread on the b5rs4. I am going by memory on that thread and maybe some misleading and deceptive conduct but this will thread will be a mini version as the only tweaks to the car I brought that I plan to do is some swap out / missing audi parts on the car for same parts but different colour eg badges, wheels, caps, badges, a Vf enginnering off the shelf tune down the track when the spark wanes a bit or they have an enticing black friday type runoff tune sale, and some RE performance air filters that are on a plane as we speak.

Each to their own on what you do to you cars, but for me and going into intended long term ownership, the lesson observed from Porsche ownership s bolt ons are good for butt dyno experience how you want to set the car up for you, but have stock parts stockpiled along the journey incase one day you need to go back to them if you offload or need to use them. So plan is to slowly keep an eye out for used selected parts to stockpile. Originality is king as these cars age as I see it and parts becoming harder to find if your conscious of dollars.

Last edited:
Agreed. The one thing with parts is no matter how many $$ you have, when the man stops making them then that's it for new bits. You do need a shipping container sized room and a really good stock system to keep on top of it but a few years down the track, those parts are gold for you. I've had a couple of guys chasing parts recently and every time it's been a big decision as to whether to let them go. Only one chance and then thats it.

While bodywork stuff is definitely worth having, the real gold is in the service parts. Amazing how many small things just get dropped from inventory and the work arounds are really difficult.

Really looking forward to seeing the colour change bits. They'll pop against the Black on Black.

Agreed. The one thing with parts is no matter how many $$ you have, when the man stops making them then that's it for new bits. You do need a shipping container sized room and a really good stock system to keep on top of it but a few years down the track, those parts are gold for you. I've had a couple of guys chasing parts recently and every time it's been a big decision as to whether to let them go. Only one chance and then thats it.

While bodywork stuff is definitely worth having, the real gold is in the service parts. Amazing how many small things just get dropped from inventory and the work arounds are really difficult.

Really looking forward to seeing the colour change bits. They'll pop against the Black on Black.
Secured a set of silver genuine 19inch factory rims with diamond cut face on the weekend. One rim has a tiny bit of gutter rush that will need addressing. Black center caps, new lug bolts and lock nut kits all on on order from overseas. Black lug bolt cover caps ready to go

Then mulling over tyre size. Definately going 305x 30 x 19inch in rears up from 295's x30 x19 inch ( currently on the car.) Note factory applied both 295x30 and 305x 30 on same factory rims. Need to mull over 235x35 x19 on the front ( factory- only recommended size) or go for 245x35x19inch. ( recommended by one of the best R8 workshops in the uk if going 305's on the rears) Definately going Michelin pilot sport 4s's.

Chrome front 4 rings badge and side chrome v10 badges also on order. Rear chrome 4 ting badge and rear r8 gen 2 logo with the red and chrome R8 rear badge vs just chrome R8 badg ready to put on.

Back