• Welcome to ozAudi.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozAudi.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

TSR on Audi S4 VC - possible in Australia?

Dingah

I have let frustration get the better of me and recently purchased a Kufatec TSR (Traffic Sign recognition) Dongle which I was assured was appropriate and compatible with my model.
Well you know where this is heading.......
Arrives, search for how to/how not to install tips and tricks and insert dongle into OBD port.
After a plethora of weird warnings and chimes (these were as advised in the researched how to info) the green LED in dongle flashed and with the loading complete the dongle was duly removed.
Re-starting the car reveals nothing appears in terms of TSR info other than the notification that this system is not supported in your country.
Codes have all been cleared without reccurrence and the advised speed limit on the MMI Google maps has now disappeared.
Overall not a great outcome.
Now conducting some investigations and would like to ask our resident software conversant forum members for suggestions on what else needs to be changed, removed or ticked in the software to get functionality, or what needs to be changed to get the speed limi data on Google Maps to return.
Yes I am also having a strained dialogue with Kufatec who are closing in on a response that will look something like "your problem!"

Dingah

I cant help with your problem, I know that TSR uses character recognition software to make things work, so I assume plugging in the dongle uploads software to the MMI. Once installed I assume the software is smart enough to know whether you are driving a LHD or RHD vehicle? The other thing will be the format of our signs compared OS. There needs to be a lookup table, which holds the format for the different signs in the software. Sorry not much help but certainly interested in how you get on.

or what needs to be changed to get the speed limit data on Google Maps to return.

Dingah

You had speed on google maps??? Mine has it on the native software but I prefer google maps. I can’t see any option for this - how did you do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello mate.
Apologies for unnecessary excitement I meant the native system - I normally bring up waze ap on the MMI as it has near real-time updates/alerts plus speed limit and GPS ground speed and then the native map in a larger scale on the VC.
Surprised that no one has attempted to bring up TSR on the VC though (using Kufatec short cut).

Dingah

Hello mate.
Apologies for unnecessary excitement I meant the native system - I normally bring up waze ap on the MMI as it has near real-time updates/alerts plus speed limit and GPS ground speed and then the native map in a larger scale on the VC.
Surprised that no one has attempted to bring up TSR on the VC though (using Kufatec short cut).

Dingah

Success at last.
After months grumbling about the stoical, blunt and utterly unhelpful Kufatec customer support, I decided to give the OBDeleven route a try.
Noting that my S4 has VC and HUD I tried fiddling with the coding within Module 5F.
The layout in OBDeleven is quite intuitive and simple.
Within Module 5F (having gone into the coding) I scrolled across to byte 24, turned bit 7 OFF and bit 6 ON and voila!.......TSR is functioning.
It quickly displays speed signs at the bottom of the VC display and the HUD.
During a ten minute test drive TSR did not fail in its operation.
Note that I had previously purchased a Kufatec TSR module with no success - apart from losing the digital display of posted speed limits from my Google Earth maps display and getting the VC to display 'this function is not available in Australia'!
Quite what other coding the Kufatec module may have done in the background will remain a mystery to me; however, the byte 24 switcheroo has achieved my aim.

Separately, the APR tune continues to bring much happiness.
At this stage I find (Drive Select) 'Auto' more in character to the S4, providing near instantaneous power by the bucketful with firm but smooth shifts.
Need more....? Just a flick into Sport and hang on.

Happy Days,

Dingah

Congrats on getting TSR to work, especially in the HUD - great news! I've long wanted to activate this on my B9 S5 but OBDeleven couldn't do it without VCP. I asked the Australian Kufatec distributer about the dongle and they said it wouldn't work in Oz. Where did you get your Kufatec dongle from? If you've got it working reliably I'll be all over it. Cheers

Congrats on getting TSR to work, especially in the HUD - great news! I've long wanted to activate this on my B9 S5 but OBDeleven couldn't do it without VCP. I asked the Australian Kufatec distributer about the dongle and they said it wouldn't work in Oz. Where did you get your Kufatec dongle from? If you've got it working reliably I'll be all over it. Cheers

Yes TSR is working perfectly and even shows up some of the silly speed sign placement when the 50kph limit on slip lanes are placed adjacent to the 80-kph limit sign on the main highway and the TSR will always show the last sign passed - sometimes the slip road speed limit.
If in doubt check the Google Earth Nav display on the MMI as the speed limits in its database have also now returned.
Anyway to answer your question, the TSR is consistently working as advertised.
The Kufatec dongle was purchased via eBay and the subsequent conversations with Kufatec (long and detailed from my end and short and uninformative from their end) were conducted with their software engineers in Germany. They said it was all my fault for purchasing this in a country where TSR is non-functional - I responded that they had asked for my VIN and Country prior to approving purchase .....?!
The dongle when placed in the S4's OBDI port appeared to run correctly - lights on/off etc.
However, when the dongle was removed all I had achieved was making the speed limit display disappear from the Google Earth Nav display.
Only this latest and incredibly simple swapping of two long coding settings via OBDeleven has unlocked one of the most useful features of the VC/HUD.
Hope it all works out for you.

Dingah

To finally follow up on this, after two attempts to get a Kufatec TSR dongle (first transaction in September cancelled due to Covid preventing shipping, second in December seemingly lost in the mail), it turned up today after 3 months in transit from Germany. I applied the dongle to my S5, rebooted the MMI and a TSR window in the VC appeared but said something like “TSR not available in this region”. I didn’t take a drive to test it, just did the OBDeleven coding as per Dingah’s instructions, rebooted the MMI and went for a drive and TSR IS WORKING!! (and no region warning), in VC and HUD. Both times I have driven, after a few minutes I’ve received one alert in the VC that “TSR is restricted, check manual”. The manual isn’t very informative (malfunction in navigation??), but TSR continues to work (changing with signs) after the alert so no biggie. I’m stoked to have this working, and like that the sign flashes when I’m over the indicated limit to get my attention - dongle should pay for itself in speeding tickets I won’t get. So, many thanks Dingah for sharing your experience. I really appreciate your assistance. Cheers!

To finally follow up on this, after two attempts to get a Kufatec TSR dongle (first transaction in September cancelled due to Covid preventing shipping, second in December seemingly lost in the mail), it turned up today after 3 months in transit from Germany. I applied the dongle to my S5, rebooted the MMI and a TSR window in the VC appeared but said something like “TSR not available in this region”. I didn’t take a drive to test it, just did the OBDeleven coding as per Dingah’s instructions, rebooted the MMI and went for a drive and TSR IS WORKING!! (and no region warning), in VC and HUD. Both times I have driven, after a few minutes I’ve received one alert in the VC that “TSR is restricted, check manual”. The manual isn’t very informative (malfunction in navigation??), but TSR continues to work (changing with signs) after the alert so no biggie. I’m stoked to have this working, and like that the sign flashes when I’m over the indicated limit to get my attention - dongle should pay for itself in speeding tickets I won’t get. So, many thanks Dingah for sharing your experience. I really appreciate your assistance. Cheers!

Excellent and a good result for you.
You will briefly get that warning every time you first head off with TSR functional.
I find it to be an absolute boon, most particularly on the HUD adjacent to my actual speed which is now within 1 kph since changing my tyres to 255 from 245.
Enjoy your driving.

Dingah

Digging this one up as I play with my new S4... is the Kufatec dongle reuseable on other cars after unlocking or is it VIN specific? Would like TSR as a function but debating if $390 for the Kufatec dongle is worth it...

EDIT: nevermind, found the disclaimer on the Kufatec site stating vehicle specific.

Last edited:
Back