Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tethering phone data for Google Maps

Bangor, Sutherland Shire, Southern Sydney.

Default Tethering phone data for Google Maps

I stumbled across this fairly recent thread from OS.

It deals with a relatively straightforward solution for the tethering of your mobile using its personal hotspot to get Audi Connect functionality from those vehicles not fitted for it, ie no SIM card slot.

3G+ MMI - Tethering Data from a mobile and WAP activation

Interested to know if anyone in Australia have managed to get it working.

Quote Originally Posted by IsDon66 View Post
    What car are you driving
    Just an old A4 B8 2008, retrofitted MMI 3G in December last year, but since I've tested many different MMIs on it.

what do you mean by 3Gp?
    Sorry - 3G Plus. I have variant 9498, which I have updated to K767 (disk 8R0906961-DH).

I don't have an internal sim in my car
    Unfortunately Australian Audis don't seem to come with a SIM slot, but if you have MMI 3G Plus with AMI module, you can enable Google maps for under $50... here is how you can do it:
    1. Make sure you a phone that supports tethering (like iPhone) or a mobile hotspot (Samsung), or MiFi or Pocket Wifi, or your home ADSL router when you're playing with your car in the garage
    2. AMI to USB Cable (USB end must be Female)
    3. USB/Ethernet Adapter -- D-Link DUB E-100 (rev A4 or B1) has already it's drivers built into QNX so just get that!
    4. Ethernet to Wifi adapter (any brand and model will do) they all need 5v power, you can steal power from the AMI usb port itself.

You can source all your items from eBay...

Procedure:
    1. Turn on your Hotspot device.c
    2. Connect Ethernet-to-Wifi adapter to your laptop first just to make sure it connects ok to SSID and gets IP address via DHCP, make sure it works as a bridge and connects automatically at every boot.
    3. Connect Ethernet-to-Wifi to your AMI
    4. In the green menu go to "Config/Install Fair Mode". This will enable the dhcp server and DLinkReplacesPPP via USB
    5. Go to google and activate GEMMI, it stands for "Google Earth MMI".
    6. Go to /diagnose/coding/internal_modules_1+2 and make sure you uncheck the:
    - 1. Online POI (Off)
    - 2. Online Portal (Off)
    - 3. Online Navi (Off)
    - 4. Offroad Navigation (Off)
    - 5. Online POI voice (Off)
    - 6. Leave PSD (Off) and ECALL (Off) untouched.
    7. Check your Wifi hotspot and make sure it has a host connected, check MMI and make sure it has an ip address via dhcp (iphone uses range of 172.x.x.x).

To get online traffic:
    1. VCDS into 5F, Adaption channel 69 add +32768 to the existing value (this will enable online traffic)
    2. update efs-system/etc/resolv.conf with nameserver of 8.8.8.8 (google DNS) - if you don't know how to do this, then you will need to use my update script via SD card.
    3. reboot MMI

If your VIN number is not whitelisted for online traffic.
    1. you will need to inject a working VIN into your FSC file.
    2. Patch MMI3GApplication to hide your VIN (HexEdit address 384866, Change 4E to 09 and 8D to 00)
    3. Reboot twice

Quote Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
    Definitely keen to hear more!
    Last edited by jnrdavo; August 19th, 2014 at 01:20 PM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Keldo For This Useful Post:

ConR (June 12th, 2014), IsDon66 (June 12th, 2014), Qwe1988 (March 31st, 2020)

Default Gold!!!

Mate. You get the award for most useful post of the year!

One thing that has really irked me since buying a current model A6, is the fact that my 6 year old TomTom with traffic receiver has far more functionality than the one built into this very expensive car. What is even more annoying is that the car is able to receive traffic, but Audi Australia has dictated that I'm not allowed to have it. Apparently you are able to have it if you have a 2014 model, even though its an identical car. My handbook even includes all the information on TMC, but Audi has decided to disable it on my model.

A couple of questions if I may.

Will the procedure you have listed for enabling online traffic work to unlock the RDS traffic receiver? I'm thinking this might be a handy way to get traffic without having to tether your phone since this works through a data stream transmitted by Suna Traffic on the FM network. Obviously you won't get Google Maps, but it is what I consider to be the most useful part when contending with Sydney traffic.

Do you need a specific traffic enabled map? I understand from other forums that some maps don't support traffic. This kind of makes sense as map updates on the TomTom needed specific maps with traffic enabled to get them to work. My media version: HN+R_EU_AU_P0532 and Nav. database version: 8R0060884AJ AN 5.4.3. Is this likely to be compatible?

I might need a little more info on "you will need to inject a working VIN into your FSC file." and "Patch MMI3GApplication to hide your VIN" and how to go about this. Im guessing this is done with a VCDS connection and will be self-evident when I connect it up, but a little more explanation would be great.

The procedure I linked to in my first post suggests the Trendnet TU2-ET100 ethernet adapter as it supposedly draws less power. I'm interested on your thoughts on this or should I just go with the D-Link you suggest?

The documents link you provided goes nowhere. Can you have a look, I'm keen to have a look through what you've written.

I'll need your update script I think as I'm not sure how to
    update efs-system/etc/resolv.conf with nameserver of 8.8.8.8 (google DNS).

I know what time pressures are like with kids (Mine 6 and 2.5) so I very much appreciate your time and effort in this, not to mention your sharing it with us. I am more than happy to contribute whatever you think is reasonable for your time and effort.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. Life as you know it has just ended. But a new and wonderful one awaits. Little girls just love their daddies.
    Last edited by IsDon66; June 12th, 2014 at 11:37 AM.

Audi Australia has dictated that we're not allowed to have TMC
    TMC doesn't work on our Audis because Audi hasn't paid a license fee to use Suna's RDS channel. Our MMI doesn't have a valid TTL code therefore the signal doesn't get decrypted. It's possible to hack and spoof iGo Primo identity but it's too much work for a little gain. Not many Australians will be interested in this to motivate somebody to do it...

Apparently you are able to have it if you have a 2014 model
    You sound like you're echoing some Audi salesman, it's not true... I have 2014 maps and firmware which makes my car 2014 model since all the hardware is the same

online traffic work to unlock the RDS traffic receiver?
    No, RDS is over Radio (has its own little chip, similar to S3c64XX). Online Traffic is HTTP traffic downloaded from web servers (MMI3Gp allows you to choose from 3-4 different providers).

Do you need a specific traffic enabled map?
    Map and Traffic are two different things. Traffic overlays map but can work without map. Traffic relies on your GPS receiver to provide information relevant to your current domain.

My media version: HN+R_EU_AU_P0532 and Nav. database version: 8R0060884AJ AN 5.4.3
    Old firmware and old maps, you need to update at least firmware to be able to apply hacks... otherwise you can into risk of bricking your MMI. I have everything you need.

I might need a little more info on "you will need to inject a working VIN into your FSC file." and "Patch MMI3GApplication to hide your VIN"

This information come in larga megabytes ..

Trendnet TU2-ET100 ethernet adapter or D-Link

I don't like D-Link but MMI has ready drivers built into it, so go with that!

The documents link you provided goes nowhere

I try to make sense as much as possible, documentations is not my key strength... I embrace knowledge sharing for free and I do it to my best possible ability.[/QUOTE]

not sure how to
    update efs-system/etc/resolv.conf

I have a script that I'm happy to share.

I know what time pressures are like with kids (Mine 6 and 2.5)
    I am more than happy to contribute whatever you think is reasonable for your time and effort.

I have provided thousands of dollars worth of innovation all for free, to overseas people (So far Russia, Poland, US, South Africa, Malaysia, Singapore, China, Norway, Sweden, Belgium and Spain) via forums, email and lengthy phone calls. Happy to do the same for free for the Australian market.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. Life as you know it has just ended. But a new and wonderful one awaits. Little girls just love their daddies.

I know mate, I'm loving it. heavy nappies full of 1s and 2s are worth it...
    Last edited by jnrdavo; August 19th, 2014 at 01:21 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keldo For This Useful Post:

IsDon66 (June 12th, 2014), rocco (September 13th, 2016)

TMC doesn't work on our Audis because Audi hasn't paid a license fee to use Suna's RDS channel. Our MMI doesn't have a valid TTL code therefore the signal doesn't get decrypted.

• From SUNA website here:
      • SUNA Compatible Devices | Suna Traffic
      • Audi Navigation System -SUNA Traffic Channel is available as a standard feature on the following new Audi models;

• A4
        • A5
        • A6
        • A7
        • A8
        • Q5
        • Q7

Lifetime* SUNA GPS Traffic Updates included
        So SUNA is happy that Audi have the required licences. I asked the question to Audi Australia and they stated that it is only available to 2014 models. When asked if this meant it was only available to those who opted for Audi Connect, the answer was that it was independent of Audi Connect. So it seems to me a recent development. Maybe Audi Australia has only recently made this available by paying the applicable licence fee. My MMI has "TP" in the bottom left corner which is I understand to be a listing of traffic reports, and not used in Australia, but it doesn't have "TMC" or Traffic Management Channel which allows you to use dynamic routing. I may be wrong, but I suspect that a firmware update would allow this functionality if what Audi Australia and Suna are telling me is correct. But you may indeed be correct, it wouldn't be the first time I've been fed BS by Audi. I know "Online Traffic" and "RDS" are different beasts which provide the same information and are explained as such in the handbook.

No, RDS is over Radio (has its own little chip, similar to S3c64XX). Online Traffic is HTTP traffic downloaded from web servers (MMI3Gp allows you to choose from 3-4 different providers).
        Is it possible that current model cars have this chip?

Old firmware and old maps, you need to update at least firmware to be able to apply hacks... otherwise you can into risk of bricking your MMI. I have everything you need.
        Yes please! I'll send you a PM.

I have provided thousands of dollars worth of innovation all for free, to overseas people (So far Russia, Poland, US, South Africa, Malaysia, Singapore, China, Norway, Sweden, Belgium and Spain) via forums, email and lengthy phone calls. Happy to do the same for free for the Australian market.
        You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldo View Post
    Unfortunately Australian Audis don't seem to come with a SIM slot
    Some models do (inc the D4 A8 and some C7 A6s and current spec 4L Q7s), but I'm yet to see a local A4/A5/Q5 with one.

The launch edition SQ5's which came with DAB+ and Audi Connect came with one.
    17' BMW M3 ZCP
    16' Mercedes GLC250
    16' BMW X5 X5M - Gone
    15' BMW X5 M50d - Gone
    14' Audi SQ5 - Gone

Quote Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
    The launch edition SQ5's which came with DAB+ and Audi Connect came with one.
    Right you are (and an omission on my part).

I may be wrong, but I suspect that a firmware update would allow this functionality if what Audi Australia and Suna are telling me is correct.
    I agree and have been having a bit of a play with firmware updates in both the D4 A8 and B8 RS5.

I have seen first hand local 2014 build cars (including the recently updated D4 A8 and the facelift RS5) with the functionality working and am still in the midst of exploring getting the functionality working in earlier build cars.

RS5:

A8:

A8 firmware version:

Both cars were running 2014 maps and in the case of the A8 I have updated the D4 to version 0770 and the traffic info has not immediately appeared so I need to do some further digging into the settings in the green menu (and/or using VCDS to see what I can discover).

Is it possible that current model cars have this chip?
    IMO the hardware is there (and has always been there), it's just that the deal with SUNA has only fairly recently been struck and the newer cars are coming through with the relevant settings enabled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Audi Navigation System -SUNA Traffic Channel is available as a standard feature on the following...
    Good finding, thanks mate! they must have updated their website recently with this... I have been in touch with them in the past and Audi wasn't their client.

Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    Some models do (inc the D4 A8 and some C7 A6s and current spec 4L Q7s), but I'm yet to see a local A4/A5/Q5 with one.
    Well you know we can retrofit motherboard from any unit (including C6 and 4L) into A4's enclosure and make it work... I will need some part numbers.

I have seen first hand local 2014 build cars with the functionality working and am still in the midst of exploring...
    That firmware showing in your picture (HN+R_EU_AU_P0770) is 8R0906961DG, I have already applied this to local MMI 3G plus but TMC has not worked! Can you please give me the part number of the 5F unit? I have already developed a 2014 map activation for this firmware too!

in the case of the A8 I have updated the D4 to version 0770 and the traffic info has not immediately appeared so I need to do some further digging into the settings in the green menu (and/or using VCDS to see what I can discover).
    The attached TMCConfig.dat comes in the DG firmware and non of the codes can decrypt Suna's messages, if you have physical access to that D4 I can supply you an SD card that you need to insert into the car for 10 seconds and then remove, the SD card will capture D4's TMCConfig.dat file. You will not need to press a single button, just insert the SD, count to 10 and then remove. Can you do this for me please?
    Attached Files Attached Files