Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Newly Acquired 1989 90 Quattro

1. Default Crankshaft Pulley bolt

Quote Originally Posted by T Bo View Post
    Thanks for the good advice !

Finally managed to undo my crankshaft pulley bolt, using home made crank removal tool, a large adjustable spanner, a 1 metre 3/4 inch drive breaker bar with a fence post on the end for leverage. Pictures attached. Tried to upload a video but didn't work. Assume there is a limit on downloaded file size ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T Bo; February 15th, 2021 at 05:59 PM.

2. Default

Hi Tom,

I'm actually replacing my Crankshaft pulley as it has a horrible wobble in it. Guessing the rubber is breaking down. I got it off with an impact gun in about 30 seconds, put the car in 5th gear and hit it with the gun. A little inbox spray helped but it was a quick job. Might have to get a big extension bar to tighten it back up as I understand the torque settings are pretty high! Next job is finding a hydraulic pump, mine has a decent kick in it. unfortunately aftermarket new ones are listed but all out of stock. Fingers crossed something comes along. did you get a new water pump?

Glenn

Finally managed to undo my crankshaft pulley bolt, using home made crank removal tool, a large adjustable spanner, a 1 metre 3/4 inch drive breaker bar with a fence post on the end for leverage. Pictures attached. Tried to upload a video but didn't work. Assume there is a limit on downloaded file size ?

3. Default

Hi Glen, nice work with the pulley. Reckon I can get a water pump from Sparesbox in Oz. Just waiting for them to confirm that it will fit. I read somewhere the crank bolt torque is 450nm !. Are you doing any of the seals, (front crankshaft and cam seal ?). They look a bit tricky to change.

4. Default

Hi Glen, nice work with the pulley. Reckon I can get a water pump from Sparesbox in Oz. Just waiting for them to confirm that it will fit. I read somewhere the crank bolt torque is 450nm !. Are you doing any of the seals, (front crankshaft and cam seal ?). They look a bit tricky to change.
    Hi Tom,
    sorry for the delay, been offline for a while. Not sure about the seals, lots of oil about but haven't cleaned things up yet to see the source. Spent the last two days getting the rocker cover off to replace the gasket as plugs were swimming in oil. Many bolts seized in place and had a horrific time getting them out. Impact driver used for one! A bit scary but didn't damage anything. Will do timing belt tomorrow too and try and get her on the road soon. Still having trouble with harmonic balancer, bought a second hand one and I think its worse than the one I have. How's your project going?