Thread: New to the Audi Club. Bit lost. Please help!

1. Default New to the Audi Club. Bit lost. Please help!

Hey guys,

Thanks for having me!

Got myself a 2014 Q5 (MY15). I probably should have done more research before buying, as a few things took me by surprise, but I just loved driving it!

My biggest disappointment is the entertainment unit (again, my fault for not researching). Lack of nav and Bluetooth streaming seems crazy in a 'premium' car.

I've done a lot of reading, but can't really find many straight answers.

I'm on hardware H06, and software 0470. I have an SD card slot but no joystick on the controller. I have the MMI port in the glovebox.

I only have a MMI to Micro USB cable and plugged in an old Nexus 5, but all I could get was "Initialising" to show. I'd be happy to just get my Spotify and Pocketcast running on that, and it can sync when I get Wi-Fi when the car is parked at home.

I've got the Google Pixel XL, so not sure if an MMI to USB C exists yet?

I've been reading that it's around $700 to get Audi to update the firmware? That seems like extortion! Does anybody have the upgrade CDs around here that they would want to sell? :)

What is going to be the easiest solution to upgrade this entertainment unit to be actually useful? Can I upgrade the software/firmware to get Bluetooth audio and nav, or do I actually have to upgrade the hardware (which I read was $6k from Audi)? I was also sussing out those aftermarket MMI to Bluetooth adapters.

Also, are there any recommended mechanics in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne? Should I be taking my car back to Audi whilst it's under the new car warranty? And should I extend that warranty?

Apologies if this post is all over the shop, but would appreciate any advice on the above. Hope I'll be able to help future Audi newbs here in future :)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zuccs For This Useful Post:

geoffwlx (November 1st, 2016)

Buy a Tune2air plugs into MMI port and adds bluetooth streaming to your system. $100 aprox all the aftermarket knock off ones dont work well. Android will not plug into the MMI, trust me been there tried every possible gadget and hack around. Seems odd that you dont have Bluetooth streaming as a default option.
    2003 A3 3 door 1.9 TDi
    2007 A3 5 door 2.0 TDi
    2011 A6 Allroad 3.0 TDi
    2012 A1 5 door 1.6 TDi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OZA3 For This Useful Post:

zuccs (October 30th, 2016)

5. Default

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by OZA3 View Post
    Seems odd that you dont have Bluetooth streaming as a default option.
    Is it supposed to be an option? Would a later firmware have this enabled?

I might hold off the tune2air if I can get native Bluetooth streaming to work.

Thought it was standard feature after 2013 but i could be wrong.
    2003 A3 3 door 1.9 TDi
    2007 A3 5 door 2.0 TDi
    2011 A6 Allroad 3.0 TDi
    2012 A1 5 door 1.6 TDi

7. Default

Does anyone have any thoughts on the rest of this please? :)