Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S3 or RS5...what would you pick?

Default S3 or RS5...what would you pick?

Been ages since I've been on the forum (and just as long since I owned at Audi). As the title suggests I have been tossing up between the RS5 and S3 (both second hand). They both have pros and cons obviously, but wanted to see what the boys and girls on OzAudi would pick.

Given I spend 99% of my time driving in and around the city, the logical choice would suggest the s3...
    Current car: Searching
    Previous cars: 125i, 350z HR, Evo VIII, B6 A4 1.8TQ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to aggas_55 For This Useful Post:

7iron (December 19th, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by aggas_55 View Post
    Been ages since I've been on the forum (and just as long since I owned at Audi). As the title suggests I have been tossing up between the RS5 and S3 (both second hand). They both have pros and cons obviously, but wanted to see what the boys and girls on OzAudi would pick.

Given I spend 99% of my time driving in and around the city, the logical choice would suggest the s3...
    I would say if you have the money then I would say go RS because a S is no RS and I know that RS is a completely different beast ! especially when it's the last V8 whereas the next one is going to be force induction!

definitely the RS5.

That V8 engine is an absolute howling classic which will give you shivers every time you rev it

However it will cost you a lot more in fuel

I suspect an S3 would be handy around town, but would otherwise leave you underwhelmed relatively
    B7 RS4 with: APR ECU Upgrade, JHM quickshifter, Milltek catback exhaust, Milltek 100 cell downpipes, JHM lightweight Clutch, Argon CF Splitters, KW V3 Coilovers.

Not sure of the comparison.. 2 very different units.. if you said RS3 v RS5 I would sought of get it.. the RS4 is probably a sweet spot in this conversation
    Me: MY16 Audi S3 Daytona Grey
    Mrs : MY16 VW Polo GTI Pure White

Quote Originally Posted by aggas_55 View Post
    I have been tossing up between the RS5 and S3 (both second hand).
    Hard to assess properly without more info. One would assume you are talking roughly the same price point if both cars are second hand - which infers the RS5 is significantly older than the S3. Which infers it is probably out of warranty, whilst the cheaper S3 may not be... If all those assumptions are valid then for me it is a solid win to the S3. However if it is like-for-like age / warranty status then I agree with prior comments that the V8 is a lovely thing and the RS5 is the go. Either choice is solid
    SOLD : 2015 Audi S3 Sedan - Mythos Black - 6 sp manual
    ARRIVED JAN : BMW M2 Coupe - Black (everything) - 6 sp manual - Vorsteiner wheels

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Muffy For This Useful Post:

Chalky (January 6th, 2017)

So many questions to ask - but as others have suggested it all depends on what's most important to you from a daily driver?

Have kids / dogs / golf clubs and take them more than once a week? S3.

Like to tune your cars? S3.

Ever plan to do motorsport events in your car? S3

Care about cost of ownership (purchase price, fuel costs, insurance etc)? S3

Value the driving experience (noise & drama) over absolute speed? RS5

Personally I'm not a big fan of the RS5, particularly the pre-facelift models with round rather than flat-bottom steering wheels. The V8 is a great sounding engine but to my mind they're not fast enough, hard enough or visually aggressive enough to warrant the RS badge.

Even if kept in stock form a newer, well-optioned S3 would be my pick over an early RS5 for the same money.

Having owned an A5 2010 2.0L and now a RS3, I would go the RS5 over the S3....btw, not because I have any issues with the RS3. The main reason why I sold the A5 as it didn't have the sound of the RS3 or RS5! Good luck choosing

The RS badge carries a lot of cache amongst the enthusiast crowd and you have the exclusivity that comes with it.
    That exclusivity comes at a cost - maintenance wise some parts will be unique (however most servicing items will be common to the base engine) and as Tony (IchBachAuto) likes to say the RS tax is huge!
    Personally though, I much prefer a fast V8 to just about any other engine

However those turbo 4's in the S3/R/GTI range are very impressive and very tuneable - but at the end of the day you'll have a Golf R with an Audi body. Not that that's a bad thing, as I love the Golf R, but an RS is... well... an RS
    Marty

---
    Current:
    2001 S8 - 19" x 9" C5 RS6 rims, Solar Sunroof, heated leather front and rear seats, tinted side and rear glass, RNS-D, XCarlink, Bose, clunky old phone in arm rest...
    2002 S8 - 18" RS4 reps (for now), Solar Sunroof, 'Sports' mode shifter... Engine dropped valve on PO - work in progress...

Gone but not forgotten:
    ​1997 A4 Quattro V6 Manual "Hamilton's Club Sport"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 27litres For This Useful Post:

Pickles (December 21st, 2016)

Thanks for the responses. I've decided to go the rs5 route. I've had a few 4-cylinders over the years and as impressive as the new ones are I think the lure of a v8 and the sound is too much to say no. Just got the find the right one now!!! Cheers!
    Current car: Searching
    Previous cars: 125i, 350z HR, Evo VIII, B6 A4 1.8TQ

it's such a personal decision, so there is no wrong answer.

I love my V8... I've never had one, and I'm 47!

I did drive a modded Golf R, super quick, but then I got back in my S5 and loved it more... Something about a manual and a V8 together makes me love it (ok, so it also has a supercharger, suspension, exhaust etc)