Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53

Thread: SQ5 Research

  1. #11

    Default

    Seems like you guys are quite happy with your SQ5's and there are minimal issues which is a great thing :)

    Being new to Audi and Euro cars, I'm just doing my due diligence in starting my research early before committing to buy.

    With the budget, this restricts myself to only 8R models which are Diesel only - and by the looks of things, it's THE model that most people seem to want, in having a better drivetrain and still being faster / more economical than the FY petrol model - also not to mention having real exhaust tips rather than a 'fake bumper setup' on the FY models.

    Obviously with the FY models you do get updated software and dash cluster etc.

    With the MMI, lately I've been seeing some FB Marketplace ads and ads from auto installation places (must be Google tracking my search habits haha) regarding retrofitting / re-flashing AA/AC capability on the older models. It definitely wouldn't be a deal breaker to not be able to retrofit / re-flash AA/AC, but just wondering if anyone has had this done to their 8R model MMI?
    Last edited by Looking For SQ5; August 28th, 2020 at 12:35 PM.

  2. #12

    Default

    So I had a test drive of an SQ5 last week and the car felt nice and handling was smooth.

    In terms of the drive though, I still felt like it needed to be revved to get up and going (going up to 3k rpm). Down low in the 1-2k rpm range, even though it claims it has full torque from 1,450rpm, it certainly didn't feel like that and I didn't get the 'shove in your seat' feeling. I did have the other person in the car though, so I didn't select dynamic mode and floor it - so maybe that's a reason why?

    Overall though, it felt good and I'd be willing to try another SQ5 (solo no one else in the car and trying all modes) before settling on one.

  3. #13

    Default

    Pleased you went for a test drive .... but can't believe you didn't try out the SQ5 in dynamic setting ?? wow .... it's the G spot for the vehicle, the fun happens when you hit the pedal ..... I strongly suggest you go for for another drive - everything tightens up, revs increase - it feels good, especially when you release the power ....
    SQ5 - MY13 - Launch Edition

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun For This Useful Post:

    Looking For SQ5 (October 12th, 2020)

  5. #14

    Default

    Yeah, I didn't try dynamic as the owner was in the car with me and I could sense that they didn't want me to try it, so I refrained from doing so. I'll try and get another test drive soon, or in the next few months or so (Melbourne here and we're in strict lockdowns at the moment - we can't even legally be more than a 5km radius from home, so it's quite limiting). Still keeping my eye out for anything that comes up. Seems as though NSW cars are more attractive in terms of price / year / kms. Victoria always seems like the most expensive even though the supply is normally the highest in the country.

  6. #15

    Default

    Make sure u factor in the extra money for the tracking device you will have to install in your future SQ5. Canít have you disease riddled Mexicans roaming around freely now lol.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Morrie For This Useful Post:

    Looking For SQ5 (October 12th, 2020)

  8. #16

    Default

    Hahaha I hope that when I get one, I won't need that! :)

    Still on the lookout for one, not many good ones here in Victoria for the budget - all the good ones (for the price / kms) seem to be interstate in NSW but that's out of the question for now - I definitely do not want to buy one unsighted / undriven even if a pre purchase inspection comes up good.

  9. #17

    Default

    So, still looking for an example within budget and options / kms etc.

    A few are coming up, however with no sunroof or B&O sound system.

    Some have lane keep assist (with the evident radar located on the middle-right / bottom of the bumper - this also changes the dash cluster to a slightly different one too?) and some don't..

    For those with the optioned B&O sound system, is there *really* that much difference between the standard sound system and B&O?

    I guess that I'd be fine to not have either or both options as they really aren't deal breakers.

  10. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,903
    Thanked: 462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Looking For SQ5 View Post
    Some have lane keep assist (with the evident radar located on the middle-right / bottom of the bumper - this also changes the dash cluster to a slightly different one too?) and some don't..

    FYI that sensor (near the driver's side foglight) is actually for the adaptive cruise control. Nice to have, but not essential IMO. Those who do a lot of country driving may have a different view however.



    Quote Originally Posted by Looking For SQ5 View Post
    A few are coming up, however with no sunroof or B&O sound system.

    Quote Originally Posted by Looking For SQ5 View Post
    For those with the optioned B&O sound system, is there *really* that much difference between the standard sound system and B&O?
    Quote Originally Posted by Looking For SQ5 View Post
    I guess that I'd be fine to not have either or both options as they really aren't deal breakers.
    The B&O is a definite upgrade on the standard sound system and worth holding out for IMO. I'm also a big fan of the panoramic sunroof in these. If I were you I'd hold out for the right car (and/or up the budget a little to ensure you get one that ticks all the boxes) - these are things that you'll get 'value' out of every day.
    Last edited by Alister; October 8th, 2020 at 11:38 PM.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

    Looking For SQ5 (October 12th, 2020)

  12. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Looking For SQ5 View Post
    Some have lane keep assist (with the evident radar located on the middle-right / bottom of the bumper - this also changes the dash cluster to a slightly different one too?) and some don't.. .
    From memory lane assist, blind spot assist and adaptive (radar) cruise were bundled in the Assistance Pack so having one should mean having the other.

    Externally the changes are the radar sensor in the front bumper that you and Alister pointed out, and the LED cutout on the inside of the wing mirrors (which is where the light for blind spot assist shows). Lane assist is facilitated by the camera at the top of the windscreen, in the rear vision mirror mount - it's why you need to do a calibration of the lane assist computer if you replace your windscreen.

    Internally the cruise control stalk is different in Assistance Pack cars, you get a roller button to change the distance between your car and the car in front. There's also a push button at the end of the indicator stalk to toggle lane assist.

    There is a ring of red LED lights around the edge of the analogue speedometer which illuminate when adaptive cruise is enabled, I'm not sure if they appear in a non-adaptive cruise car, but assistance cars seem to have a slight recess around the edge (inside the chrome ring) where those LEDs sit. The recess seems to be minimal / missing on non-assistance cars, but you're in real trainspotting levels of detail to see the difference.


    Quote Originally Posted by Looking For SQ5 View Post
    For those with the optioned B&O sound system, is there *really* that much difference between the standard sound system and B&O?.
    We had a standard Q5 with the regular audio before the SQ5 with B&O (same generation), and I personally don't remember there being too much difference between them. Both were suitably clear and loud when you wanted them to be heard, but if you're the sort of person who might spend money on good headphones or the higher-spec speakers for your home audio then the B&O system might be worth holding out for.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesatfish For This Useful Post:

    Looking For SQ5 (October 12th, 2020)

  14. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    [LEFT]

    The B&O is a definite upgrade on the standard sound system and worth holding out for IMO. I'm also a big fan of the panoramic sunroof in these. If I were you I'd hold out for the right car (and/or up the budget a little to ensure you get one that ticks all the boxes) - these are things that you'll get 'value' out of every day.
    Thankyou for the insight into this - to be honest, I think I'd be happy with the regular sound system (non-upgraded), so this wouldn't be too big a deal for me.

    Regarding the sunroof though, I've heard from a few posters regarding squeaks whilst driving - this is a pet hate of mine and having anything with a chance of doing just this, would drive me insane.

    So, the B&O and sunroof options / features are nice, but would not be deal-breakers by any means.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesatfish View Post
    From memory lane assist, blind spot assist and adaptive (radar) cruise were bundled in the Assistance Pack so having one should mean having the other.

    Externally the changes are the radar sensor in the front bumper that you and Alister pointed out, and the LED cutout on the inside of the wing mirrors (which is where the light for blind spot assist shows). Lane assist is facilitated by the camera at the top of the windscreen, in the rear vision mirror mount - it's why you need to do a calibration of the lane assist computer if you replace your windscreen.

    Internally the cruise control stalk is different in Assistance Pack cars, you get a roller button to change the distance between your car and the car in front. There's also a push button at the end of the indicator stalk to toggle lane assist.

    There is a ring of red LED lights around the edge of the analogue speedometer which illuminate when adaptive cruise is enabled, I'm not sure if they appear in a non-adaptive cruise car, but assistance cars seem to have a slight recess around the edge (inside the chrome ring) where those LEDs sit. The recess seems to be minimal / missing on non-assistance cars, but you're in real trainspotting levels of detail to see the difference.

    We had a standard Q5 with the regular audio before the SQ5 with B&O (same generation), and I personally don't remember there being too much difference between them. Both were suitably clear and loud when you wanted them to be heard, but if you're the sort of person who might spend money on good headphones or the higher-spec speakers for your home audio then the B&O system might be worth holding out for.
    Yeah for the lane keep assist / radar cruise control features if present, I have noticed that there are 3/4 points that come up:
    1. Different dash cluster (no recessing around the edges (looks just "flat", and no "1/min x 1000" writing in the tachometer (not an issue, just an observation))
    2. Radar on the bottom right bumper
    3. Different options on the steering wheel stalks - "Distance" on the CC stalk etc

    I did see one SQ5 that was posted a few days ago for around $34k, then was reduced $1k per day until it was removed from sale yesterday (sold after 3 days - not too bad) - seemed too good to be true IMO, unless they were desperate to sell.

    Wonder if anyone on this forum snapped that one up?

    It was based in Brighton, Melbourne - 2013 model, 128,000kms, dark grey, had no options (ie. no B&O or sunroof), rego until May/June of next year.

    I did a PPSR check and it came out all good - not written off, not stolen, no security interest.

    Looked good apart from the coolant in the coolant reservoir being below the "low" level (as per the photos) and not many photos, and the one that included a photo of the interior, was blurry (I don't know how people can post ads with blurry or not enough photos?!).
    Last edited by Looking For SQ5; October 12th, 2020 at 11:47 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •