Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SQ5 Research

So, still got my eyes open but now opening up to possibly just getting a normal Q5 instead. Will I regret not getting the S model?

Looking at petrol only versions (4cyl 2.0L T or the rarer V6 3.0L S/C) as I want to stay away from the 7 speed dual clutches that the diesels have.

On the flipside for the 4cyl 2.0L T versions, I've read that they have some oil consumption issues - are these only specific to the earlier 8R models (ie. Pre 2012)? I've been looking only for 2014 models onwards, so hopefully they shouldn't have this issue.

Haven't heard much about the V6 3.0L S/C though - any issues with these that I should know / look out for?
    Last edited by Looking For SQ5; October 26th, 2020 at 07:57 PM.

The SQ5 is better in nearly every way (performance, braking, noise, looks) but a Q5 with the 3.0TFSI or 3.0TDI is still a fantastic vehicle and certainly not too much of a compromise.

If I were in your shoes I’d just hold out for the right SQ5 - there is plenty out there and it’s only a matter of time until one hits the market that meets your needs (assuming the budget is appropriate).

FYI the 2.0TFSI Q5s have a dual clutch (S tropic) transmission.

Yeah I'm still hanging out for an SQ5 - I test drove one a month ago and it was good but I didn't try dynamic mode so I didn't get the full feeling of the full performance.

According to redbook etc, it seems that the petrol Q5's have 8 speed tiptronic (torque converter) transmissions whereas all the diesel ones have the 7 speed dual clutch S-Tronic transmissions?

Maybe I'll just hang out for an SQ5 and up my budget. Some okay ones in Melbourne and now with the 25km radius rule, I would be able to check out some private ones. My issue then, is then organising an RWC for my car and listing it for sale, then dealing with tyre kickers, or using Carsales instant offer and then seeing how much they offer. I know there will be a hit to price, but just having the convenience of being able to trade in and not organise to get an RWC etc, I guess some people do it.

I'd reinforce Allister's recommendation to stay with the SQ5.
    I had high hopes when I took my first trial day with an Audi Q5 3.0 TDi courtesy of Audi CC.
    At that stage I thought I was committed to purchasing an optioned example; however, upon returning it to Audi CC I cancelled the order describing the experience as absolutely vanilla, rather like wearing a beige cardigan.
    About four weeks later Audi CC rang and asked me to pop down and try a different version which turned out to be the new SQ5.
    I accepted their offer and it only took five minutes before I was back discussing pricing and filling out order forms!
    Notably the price difference between a fully optioned Q5 and the SQ5 was minimal but what you ended up with was night vs day.
    I still believe that the SQ5 remains a best in class package.
    As a generally single person driver I have neither need nor desire to drive anything larger such as the 7 or 8 series SUVs no matter how well reported they might be.
    For a while I downsized to an RSQ3 but found that it was like a Q3 with a few bits added on, the build quality and package only became acceptable by RS standards thanks to that awesome quirky 5 cylinder engine.
    I now have one of the most underrated packages - B9S4 V6T with APR - it flies (literally) under the radar, has all the goodies and provides the handling which no SUV can ever achieve - still a novelty to be looking up at GTi and R drivers - it is that low.
    Nevertheless this about you not me and I earnestly recommend that you hang in for a decent SQ5 as my recommendation, the drive train (especially with the help of DTUK) remains one the best ever.
    Huge torque, more than enough power, great towing capacity, great fuel consumption and enough configurable space for almost every foreseeable situation.

Dingah
    Last edited by Dingah; October 27th, 2020 at 10:09 AM.
    Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2017 RSQ3 Performance Sold
    2018 S4
    Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line + APR

Thankyou very much guys - an SQ5 it will be!

I'll keep my eyes out for a good example and see from there.

I may even re-contact the seller of the one that I test drove 5 weeks ago (in the colour that I want and fully optioned, just the price being a tad too high for the kms it has) to see if they're able to re-negotiate, considering its still listed for sale now.

I'll definitely test dynamic mode this time round and see how it goes compared to auto (as said, I didn't put it into dynamic mode considering the other person was also in the car with me at the time).

This looks alright - no heated seats or sunroof but otherwise ticks a few boxes and the kays are reasonable given the age:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2014-audi-sq5-tdi-auto-quattro-my14/SSE-AD-6804660/

Thankyou, I did see that one but being outside of VIC, I quickly filtered it out.

There's a few in Melbourne at the moment, the cheapest being 33.5k but too many kms - ideally I'd want to have the car for at least 3 years or so and with 166,000kms, it's too many kms for the price. Fully optioned though.

So, I finally found an SQ5 listed for an acceptable price (year/kms/options) and purchased it / drove it down from the ACT yesterday. All the ones in Melbourne are unreasonably priced for the high kms they have.

So far, thoroughly enjoying it, will need to give it a bit of a clean (the dealer must have missed a few things when they detailed it) and replace / look for a few things such as sunvisor clips (unable to detach the sunvisor to block the sun if required on the sides) and a rear parcel shelf (if anyone has one for sale, please message me).

Also, the centre fan vent louvers appear to be detached from the front slide / tilt control, will look to try to fix that as well.

Overall despite the above small issues, slowly getting used to it after my 7hr return drive. Fuel economy was excellent, was almost getting sub-6L/100km. Will see how it goes in town and the more I drive it.
    Last edited by Looking For SQ5; December 6th, 2020 at 08:50 AM.

Well done mate and I hope you enjoy it. You will need to post some pictures of it up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrie View Post
    You will need to post some pictures of it up now.
    Second that - let's see some pics!