Thread: Used b9 S4 wagon and long term reliability

1. Question Used b9 S4 wagon and long term reliability

Hi there,

Have owned couple golfs (GTIs/R32/R) in the pass 10 years. Never a big fan of sedan and SUVs. My Mrs and I are looking to have a baby in the coming year. Hence, I am currently looking for a used B9 S4 to keep for at least 5-6 years. Most of the S4 wagons in my budget are MY17/18 and around 30-50k kms. I drive quit a lot, around 15,000-20,000 pre year. If I keep for 5 years that would pushing almost 150,000 kms on the clock. Is that possible? Would the car cost me a leg to fix all the potential problems? Also, resell value after 8 years? I would much prefer a used S4 than a brand new 45TFSI A4, if the reliability is good.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Xiang View Post
    Hi there,

Have owned couple golfs (GTIs/R32/R) in the pass 10 years. Never a big fan of sedan and SUVs. My Mrs and I are looking to have a baby in the coming year. Hence, I am currently looking for a used B9 S4 to keep for at least 5-6 years. Most of the S4 wagons in my budget are MY17/18 and around 30-50k kms. I drive quit a lot, around 15,000-20,000 pre year. If I keep for 5 years that would pushing almost 150,000 kms on the clock. Is that possible? Would the car cost me a leg to fix all the potential problems? Also, resell value after 8 years? I would much prefer a used S4 than a brand new 45TFSI A4, if the reliability is good.

Cheers!
    Eddie, it's an open ended question. There are a lot of high mileage cars around the world running probably better than those that get only a little use. After that it all depends............ the actual car you buy, how you drive and maintain it, there just is no definitave answer. Resale, it's a second hand Audi, means not much retained value. In 5 years we all may be facing increased taxes on petrol engines which won't help the cause. On top, it is still an S4, so not really a rare and expensive beast that someone is going to pay a lot for with 150K plus on the clock. Very few can make a business case for cars, it isn't a silly purchase so just enjoy the day and what ever eventuates in 5 years will be what it will be.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

If you are looking for a MY17/18, my suggestion would be trying to look for a Audi Approved Plus vechicle which gives you 2 years unlimited KMS manufacturer warranty.

I dont have a S4 but I have the SQ5 and the B9 wagon and IMO the S4 would be a prefect combo
    Current
    MK6 Golf R
    MY18 SQ5
    B9 Avant Quattro

Past Toys
    99 STI 300kw atw
    2001 R34 GTR VSPEC II
    A4 B7 2.0TQ S-Line
    JDM AT HEART

I purchased a used B9 S4 two years ago and put 75,000ks on the clock and the car never missed a beat. The best car I owned. I'd suggest and extended warranty as they can be expensive if something goes wrong.
    1997 A3 1.8T sold
    2000 TT quattro sold
    2005 Lava Grey A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Sportback, Open Sky, roof racks, Vienna Leather. Sold
    2006 Black A4 2.0 TFSI S-line Quattro Avant Sold
    2009 White A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant, Open Sky roof, MMi+ 19" rims, Bang and Olufsen, adaptive cruse, Oak Beaufort trim. Sold
    2016 A4 Quattro sport Avant, Manhattan Gray, Panno roof, Technik package, Assistance package. Sold
    2018 S4 Avant, Sports diff, S performance package, Technik package, honeycomb grille, Nardo Grey Wrap.

I own one and purchased new as an intended 10 year hold.

The EA839 in the B9 is a (now not so) new hot V design, so longevity is unknown. That said, it's a widely used engine in the Audi/Porsche world, and there don't seem to be many reports of major issues with high mileage examples on forums with stock examples.

That said, the hot V in the 4.0TFSI (same design, more cylinders) seems to suffer from premature failure if the engine was boosted beyond factory specs.

The hot V configuration doesn't leave much room for a large turbo, so you'll increase your chances of blowing up the turbo if you tune it. Aftermarket turbos are hard to fit into the tight space.

So my opinion - if you want to keep it stock, you'll probably be fine. If you want to tune it, do so on a hot V engine at your own risk.

Transmission is a ZF8 so should be durable.

Agree with phydaux re: costs.

If you are worried about out of warranty costs and don't care for the flashier interior of the S4 , I'd suggest go for a used EA888 (45 grade), get a stage 2 tune, downpipe and get similar power/torque outputs with a lighter car to the stock S4. Does have a different noise and DSG farts instead of the subtle rumble of a turbo V6.

There are so many boosted EA888s out there that it's a known quantity in terms of how hard you can push it, and what to do if it needs work.

n
    Last edited by nerdag; April 30th, 2021 at 11:08 PM.