Thread: 2014 Audi S3 possible Haldex issue

1. Default 2014 Audi S3 possible Haldex issue

Hi,

I have recently purchased a 2014 Audi S3 with 100,000 kms on it. The car has full service history from Audi. The last service was the major one as Audi changed the plugs, transmission service and Haldex service.

The car has near new Michelin PS4 tyres with similar thread all around. The car drives fine however when I was pushing it hard at take off, the traction light was flashing for a couple of seconds.

I have changed the Haldex pump with a Genuine new pump and filled it with new Haldex oil. After the pump change, I had the car on the hoist in Dynamic mode with wheels off the ground, all 4 wheels were spinning which suggests rear wheels are engaging. The front wheels were spinning at a faster rate than rear. I am guessing this is due to the Audi Quattro has more front wheel bias?

I took the car for a test drive and after warming it up for a while, I pushed the car hard and the traction light still flashed a few times. It wasn't everytime like before but would still come up 50% of the time. The front wheels weren't going crazy like before and the big thump I was feeling before from 1st to 2nd gear is almost gone. I am not sure what else could it be that's causing the light to flash?

I have read almost all the threads on this and other forums and some people were saying it could need a software update from Audi? I have a scan tool, is that something I could do myself or have to go to Audi?

Thanks for reading, hopefully someone have an answer for this.

Cheers

I would suggest resetting the haldex before spending up.

Quote Originally Posted by bhullarS3 View Post
    Hi,

I have recently purchased a 2014 Audi S3 with 100,000 kms on it. The car has full service history from Audi. The last service was the major one as Audi changed the plugs, transmission service and Haldex service.

The car has near new Michelin PS4 tyres with similar thread all around. The car drives fine however when I was pushing it hard at take off, the traction light was flashing for a couple of seconds.

I have changed the Haldex pump with a Genuine new pump and filled it with new Haldex oil. After the pump change, I had the car on the hoist in Dynamic mode with wheels off the ground, all 4 wheels were spinning which suggests rear wheels are engaging. The front wheels were spinning at a faster rate than rear. I am guessing this is due to the Audi Quattro has more front wheel bias?

I took the car for a test drive and after warming it up for a while, I pushed the car hard and the traction light still flashed a few times. It wasn't everytime like before but would still come up 50% of the time. The front wheels weren't going crazy like before and the big thump I was feeling before from 1st to 2nd gear is almost gone. I am not sure what else could it be that's causing the light to flash?

I have read almost all the threads on this and other forums and some people were saying it could need a software update from Audi? I have a scan tool, is that something I could do myself or have to go to Audi?

Thanks for reading, hopefully someone have an answer for this.

Cheers
    When you changed the pump did you clean the Haldex oil filter gauze? Haldex Gen5 oil change and gauze clean. | Audi-Sport.net (audi-sport.net)
    Tango Red S3 MY17 | Mirror Pkg | Black Pkg | Roof Rails Black | SPP 1 | Asst Pkg | Design Selection 2 | Privacy | Panoramic Sun Roof |
    Previously -Black S3 MY09 | Pearl Black S3 MY01| Ming Blue A3T MY00 | Laser Red A3 MY99 |

Yeah, I also think when the haldex was done did you or they clean the filter. I am sure they hopefully did but the same thing happened to my MY15 when I was getting traction light and axle tramp on the front. I got the filter cleaned and the oil changed and its been good since. After another 2 years-ish during the last service I got the oil changed as was only $175 and made sure it doesn't happen again. Hopefully it's just the filter if not maybe get the pump replaced under warranty. Lastly, is there a software reset for the haldex? I just got my DSG software reset and it made the shifts in gears much smoother as I think it learnt bad habits and made self adjustments due to wear that weren't needed. Good luck, post back with your result.
    S3 MY15 Sedan | Misano Red | S-tronic | Magnetic Ride | 19" V-spoke PP2 | Sunroof | B&O Audio | Folding Mirrors | Pirelli P-Zero R02