Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start/Stop system not working

Default Start/Stop system not working

Recently my start/stop system stopped working. The car dash shows it active with no errors. Engine doesn't switch off when coming to a stop.

I was not driving far for 2 weeks, except for very short trips. Today I did a 45 minute freeway drive but still no start/stop.

Anyone know what it could be? No other signs of battery not charging. There are no 3rd party devices (webcam) connected.

I also want to check the fuse, does anyone know which one it is?
    Last edited by anonymousmoose; April 17th, 2021 at 03:51 PM.

Audi A3 2017 1.4 COD Sedan
    VW Tiguan 2018 162TSI Highline

Usually this occurs due to a low battery charge state.

Have you had your battery checked? Could be worth sticking it on charge overnight.

Default Start/Stop system not working

It may be resolved now. Always Murphy's law. I ask for advice and it fixes itself.

After the 45 min drive - it still didnt work. But then when I had to drive again for a 5 min trip, it worked.

Then it stopped working again and after another 45 min return journey, it worked.

I am guessing the cars battery was a bit low because it was hardly used in the last 3 weeks.

You say it like its a bad thing.
    First thing I did was disable it via OBDEleven.
    Anyway based on my Jeep (which I could not disable auto stop on) your battery could be on the way out. It stopped working which I was quite happy about but then battery failed 3 weeks later. New battery and auto stop returned

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'll get it checked next service or sooner does anyone know if this car needs to be programmed to a new battery or is it just a simple case of RAC changing it?

Last time that happened to me the kids had left the aircon in the back on full bore. I wouldn't get a RAC battery, try and find a Vata battery like the one Audi fitted, and yes you are meant to put in a BEM code but ECU eventually works out the battery management even if you don't.
    1997 A3 1.8T sold
    2000 TT quattro sold
    2005 Lava Grey A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Sportback, Open Sky, roof racks, Vienna Leather. Sold
    2006 Black A4 2.0 TFSI S-line Quattro Avant Sold
    2009 White A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant, Open Sky roof, MMi+ 19" rims, Bang and Olufsen, adaptive cruse, Oak Beaufort trim. Sold
    2016 A4 Quattro sport Avant, Manhattan Gray, Panno roof, Technik package, Assistance package. Sold
    2018 S4 Avant, Sports diff, S performance package, Technik package, honeycomb grille, Nardo Grey Wrap.

We quite often find that my wife's Tiguan will go periods without the start/stop activating. She often only does short trips and we can sometimes go days/weeks without the SS working. Then, like yours, out of the blue it'll start working again. I just figure as long as we don't get any errors saying that's it not, it'll activate when it wants to/battery condition appropriate/if the sky is blue/etc. I do 25min drives in my S3 twice daily and mine activates all the time (even overly activating) so figure it's just a few consistent back to back 20+ minute drives to get the battery to state to level where SS works consistently every time.
    Thoroughly enjoying: 2017 MY17 8V S3 FL Sedan, Daytona Grey, SPP1, Assistance Pack, Matrix Headlights, Sunroof, Ext Mirror Pack, Split/Fold Rear Seat, Tinted Windows

It seems back to normal after a few days.

I think the car sitting for 3 weeks (expert a few short 5 min doctors trips and pharmacy). The long drive on the weekend charged the battery and the 15 min work trips helped too.

I just don't know what the practical benefits are to these start/stop systems. I drove a Subaru with it and the first time it happened it freaked me out, thinking the car had died, right at a busy intersection. Then every time afterwards there's anxiety of whether the car will restart when I need it to. While I'm all for saving fuel and the planet but surely there's the other side of the argument that you'll need to replace the starter motor more often which has costs of its own (natural resources to make it and then cost to us to put it in).

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6 (Unreg)

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6

Like all things car. Progress gradually dumbs down the driver until they are just there to pay the charges and get nothing in return. I wouldn't want to return to the 50's to 80's cars, they were not good, but the sweet spot of 2000 is pretty much the best of all worlds. With stop / start there is some social good but lane change, rear ender avoidance, star wars dashes etc ends up producing a driver that cannot function without computer assistance. Not to mention coded start batteries and all the digital limitations on mods.

Progress and it won't change but it doesn't bode well for us to survive outside of the electronic world.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8