Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Replacing B5S4 Headlining

  1. #11

    Default

    I had my headliner sag on my S4 B6 Avant, and I re-did it with Alcantara.

    I was satisfied with the results. The biggest challenge was having to remove trim panels from the bottom up to get to the headliner.

    Worth doing, as my ringing around estimates were in the $600-$700 range, I spent $500 on Alcantara and some contact adhesive.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sheffield,Tasmania
    Posts
    298
    Thanked: 14

    Default

    So I spent all day Saturday removing the old adhesive. I ended up using Diggers Glue Rid. It worked really well, paint it on leave for 5 minutes then I used a sharp 50mm wood chisel and back scrapped off the glue, a smaller chisel for the grab handles area. Stubborn parts needed 2 to 3 attempts. Minor residue adhesive is then cleaned off with mineral turps. You need to do it in a well ventilated area. Once the glue was removed I followed up with a fine wire brush just to buff up the surface.

    Now ready for the lining, hopefully time permits this weekend.

    IMG_0623.jpg
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sheffield,Tasmania
    Posts
    298
    Thanked: 14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chomba View Post
    I had my headliner sag on my S4 B6 Avant, and I re-did it with Alcantara.

    I was satisfied with the results. The biggest challenge was having to remove trim panels from the bottom up to get to the headliner.

    Worth doing, as my ringing around estimates were in the $600-$700 range, I spent $500 on Alcantara and some contact adhesive.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Did you use Genuine Alcantara? I thought about using it but the real deal is not cheap. The good thing is its low flammability.

    I had quotes of $600-$700 to do the lining replacement, but when I quizzed the upholsterer about what they were going to do I didn't like the answers I got. Hence doing it myself, if it goes pair shaped no one else to blame.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

  4. #14

    Default

    Good luck, I think that taking it on yourself is likely to get a better job. I'll do the same once I get the engine rebuild under control. Sounds a bit extreme but the quotes sound low. Material and labour should add up to a fair bit and that is less than one RS currency unit.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tas_Audi View Post
    Did you use Genuine Alcantara? I thought about using it but the real deal is not cheap. The good thing is its low flammability.
    Yes, I used genuine Alcantara from a Melbourne based authorised dealer. I was not cheap but well worth it.

    The estimates I had were for ‘regular’ headliner, and I managed to get about twice the Alcantara I needed for $500, so had enough left over to do the door cards, armrest etc


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sheffield,Tasmania
    Posts
    298
    Thanked: 14

    Default

    Headlining is complete and back in the car. Best of all no spare screws or clips left haha. No issues in applying the fabric, it would be handy to have 4 arms at times just to make life a little easier. The adhesive I used has a high tack so once it sticks to the fabric its stuck, difficult to remove but not impossible.

    The metal re-enforcing clips used for the front and rear lights need a little care when removing and re-installing. These retaining tabs are almost single use only so a little care is required when unfolding and re-instating them.

    I just need to print 4 new net hook covers to finish the job.

    I was a little surprised at how easy the headlining was to put back into the car.

    IMG_0629 (1).jpgIMG_0631 (1).jpgIMG_0636 (1).jpg
    Last edited by Tas_Audi; May 22nd, 2021 at 06:17 PM.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 1980
    Location
    Back in Sydney (again!)
    Posts
    5,070
    Thanked: 605

    Default

    Looks perfect. I may have to remove my headlining to fix a sunroof rattle in the new (old) s3 I just purchased, so great to have threads like this.

    Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

  8. #18

    Default

    Great job and very useful tips on the adhesive. Another job done.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •