Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing B5S4 Headlining

Default Replacing B5S4 Headlining

So it was time to replace the headlining in the S4, a job I have been putting off for a while. Read a few posts, for Sedan not Avant as mine is, on how to do it, looked easy enough. Well I quickly found out to remove the trim pieces around the D Pillar on the Avant you need to remove the back seat completely, cargo area trim panels etc just to remove the three D pillar trim. It always worries me when removing trim especially with a 20 year car, I was lucky no issues except for the Partition Net Hook covers, I only managed to remove 1 successfully, man they grip well. As they are only aesthetic I thinking I will be printing 4 new ones.

Once all the trim was removed the lining came out quite easily. Now for the clean up. What a horrible sticky mess, the vast majority cleans off with a stiff brush but I still need to remove the residue adhesive, looks like it might have to be acetone unless anyone that has done this job in the past has a suggestion on what to use. I think I have a good days work getting the lining backing ready for the new lining.

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 WR Ur Quattro

Have you tried De-Solv-It? Available from Bunnings. It's basically a lightweight citrus oil which dissolves sticky gum. Acetone is pretty aggressive.

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6 (Unreg)

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6

how much does the 'whole part' from Audi cost, headlining and cardboard? Is it hugely expensive?

Nice work on undertaking the replacement Tas_Audi - addressing these sorts of issues makes such a big difference to the overall presentation of the car.

This is a C5 RS6 issue in spades. Apparently Audi used a sheet of thin foam between the headlining and the shell and the foam disintergrates and the lining falls. It leaves a sticky mess that isn't really able to be removed from the material. Starting to happen in my RS6. Interestingly the RS4 isn't showing any signs of it happening. The UK solution is to use new material after a good clean of the shell. Poses some problems with Alcantara in matching the colours where that is the headlining material.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    This is a C5 RS6 issue in spades. Apparently Audi used a sheet of thin foam between the headlining and the shell and the foam disintergrates and the lining falls. It leaves a sticky mess that isn't really able to be removed from the material.
    My 100 had it.
    My 90 had it.
    My A4 B5 (both of them) had it.
    One day I'm sure my A6 C5 will get it, as will my A6 4F.
    You'd think they'd learn and do something about it!

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6 (Unreg)

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6

I reckon AUDI expect their owners to upgrade before it happens. People like us that persist with "superseded" cars must give the sales people nightmares.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    This is a C5 RS6 issue in spades. Apparently Audi used a sheet of thin foam between the headlining and the shell and the foam disintergrates and the lining falls. It leaves a sticky mess that isn't really able to be removed from the material. Starting to happen in my RS6. Interestingly the RS4 isn't showing any signs of it happening. The UK solution is to use new material after a good clean of the shell. Poses some problems with Alcantara in matching the colours where that is the headlining material.
    Tony,

The headlining has a foam backing bonded to the fabric. The issue is that over time the foam breaks down and lets go of the fabric. Mine started with a little piece no bigger than a 10 cent piece, then in a matter of weeks it all let go at once.

I searched high and low for Onyx coloured lining but couldn't get it. I have ended up going with black in a circular knit. That is the same style of weave as existing. I have plenty so if anybody is after some sing out. I ended up buying through the Nolan Group because I have an ABN they set me up with an account, might come in handy down the track.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE

Quote Originally Posted by broke90 View Post
    Have you tried De-Solv-It? Available from Bunnings. It's basically a lightweight citrus oil which dissolves sticky gum. Acetone is pretty aggressive.
    Thanks I will give that a try, just had a quick looking on the Bunnings web site, aisle 24. Acetone is a last resort, I really hate using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tas_Audi View Post
    Tony,

The headlining has a foam backing bonded to the fabric. The issue is that over time the foam breaks down and lets go of the fabric. Mine started with a little piece no bigger than a 10 cent piece, then in a matter of weeks it all let go at once.

I searched high and low for Onyx coloured lining but couldn't get it. I have ended up going with black in a circular knit. That is the same style of weave as existing. I have plenty so if anybody is after some sing out. I ended up buying through the Nolan Group because I have an ABN they set me up with an account, might come in handy down the track.
    Luckily my RS4 is still good, it actually doesn't feel like there is any foam used whereas the RS6 is as described, looks like a cows udder. I tried a couple of tricks and nothing took so I'm heading down your path eventually. The Alcantara is the issue so I'm looking at the options. Real pity as the material is unmarked. We're certainly in a big club of people who have done / are doing this and the ones I've seen photos of look successful.