Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S3 8p (2009) 48kms ABS module fail - help

Default S3 8p (2009) 48kms ABS module fail - help

Hi,

I have an old S3 with very little mileage (48k) and it seems ABS module has failed and is a $3k part!

Wondering if this is a faulty component - surely it should last more than 50kms of driving and is it worth writing to audi to supply under warranty.

Are there any other 3rd party options?

thank you!

Of course you can write to Audi, just don't expect you'll get far. They would argue while it's only 50k in mileage, it's also 12 years in age.

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6 (Unreg)

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6

3. The Following User Says Thank You to broke90 For This Useful Post:

shaaft (May 19th, 2021)

I agree with the above - whilst the mileage is low, the car is 12 years old and well outside the manufacturer's warranty period (3 years).

While there is nothing stopping you having a crack at Audi for some kind of goodwill coverage, I suspect it might be in vain and you would be best served by trying to source the part from an alternative supplier (overseas source or even from a wrecker).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

shaaft (May 19th, 2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    I agree with the above - whilst the mileage is low, the car is 12 years old and well outside the manufacturer's warranty period (3 years).

While there is nothing stopping you having a crack at Audi for some kind of goodwill coverage, I suspect it might be in vain and you would be best served by trying to source the part from an alternative supplier (overseas source or even from a wrecker).
    I received a response that appears positive:

Thank you for your prompt response.
    Firstly, please accept our sincere apologies for your experience.
    At times of component failure outside the factory warranty period, Audi Australia reviews the reported incident in conjunction with a confirmed diagnosis from an authorised Audi dealership and on a case by case basis assistance may be provided based on relevant criteria such as vehicle age, mileage, service history and nature of the fault.
    At this stage, Audi Australia in conjunction with its dealer network has not given the opportunity to diagnose the vehicle to determine the nature of the fault and to ascertain if assistance could be provided. We would kindly advise you to have your vehicle taken to an Audi authorised dealership for inspection and diagnosis.
    Additionally, we can see that your vehicle has not been taken to an Audi Dealership in over 3 years and has not been maintained by an Audi Dealership in almost 10 years. Could we kindly request if you are able to provide a copy of the invoices pertaining to servicing the vehicle outside Audi Australia's dealer network to assist us in making sure the vehicle has been maintained as per manufacturer specifications.

The fact that they mention that the car has not been serviced by an Audi dealer in almost 10 years suggests to me that they will not extend any goodwill coverage.

FYI you'll also be up for the cost of the dealer assessing the fault (which will no doubt be at least a couple of hundred dollars).

Do you know which part or component has failed? Or what error codes have come up if you have scanned the car?
    They usually can be rebuilt for a fraction of replacement cost, I had my old module rebuilt by a guy in Melbourne.
    WAUZZZ
    Current
    B7 A4 2.0TQ
    APR
    8P A3 REVO
    B6 S4 JHM
    Past
    B5 A4 1.8TQ
    B5 A4 1.8T

Looking on google for a quick search of 'Audi S3 8p ABS module' shows plenty on ebay etc for under $500...BUT, need to confirm the part number that you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    The fact that they mention that the car has not been serviced by an Audi dealer in almost 10 years suggests to me that they will not extend any goodwill coverage.

FYI you'll also be up for the cost of the dealer assessing the fault (which will no doubt be at least a couple of hundred dollars).
    thank you - Ive asked Audi if they will do the assessment free and that the car has been serviced by the same mechanic and I have the log book.

I do understand the car is 12 years old; however the ABS has seen >50k km of mileage and should not be failing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChenga View Post
    Do you know which part or component has failed? Or what error codes have come up if you have scanned the car?
    They usually can be rebuilt for a fraction of replacement cost, I had my old module rebuilt by a guy in Melbourne.
    thanks - I didnt get the details from my mechanic; but a repair may be an option if Audi dont consider this a warrantable issue.

Quote Originally Posted by shaaft View Post
    thank you - Ive asked Audi if they will do the assessment free and that the car has been serviced by the same mechanic and I have the log book.

I do understand the car is 12 years old; however the ABS has seen >50k km of mileage and should not be failing.
    High or low mileage isn't the issue, age is the biggest factor, parts can corrode and oxidise if moisture gets in. Some might even argue that being low mileage it has sat for longer without being driven leading to more moisture build-up in certain electrical components..
    A decent idea would be to have it rebuilt if you find out which exact component internally has failed, then you don't need to worry about recoding it to your car.
    WAUZZZ
    Current
    B7 A4 2.0TQ
    APR
    8P A3 REVO
    B6 S4 JHM
    Past
    B5 A4 1.8TQ
    B5 A4 1.8T