Thread: Just joined, so saying hi

1. Default Just joined, so saying hi

Just joined the forum, so saying hi and more importantly, introducing my Audi, 'Claudia' - named after Claudia Schiffer...she's German, gorgeous, classy, and has 'audi' in her name!.
    She is a 2001 A4 (B5 8D2) 1.8T with the APU engine. Been in the family since new and was originally my father's car, which I later inherited and clocked over 300,000km...still on the original engine and still going strong with no major failings. What a car! For the last two years, my daughter has had it for her first car, but now that she has a new one, I've put Claudia up on the hoist to start doing all those little renewal jobs to bring her back to spec. Recently did the outer CV joints, traced a performance problem to a failed MAF, replaced a weeping engine cover gasket, replaced the transmission fluid and filter, replaced the PCV valve and the perished plastic 'elbow' pipe from the crankcase breather (that was un unexpectedly PITA job...you know the ones where the factory has obviously started with that part and built a whole car around it so you have to dismantle everything before you can get to it!!!). Right now I have the headliner out to replace the sagged lining, and the instrument cluster out to chase a bad earth problem causing the fuel gauge to play up...230 Mohms on an earth wire is never a good thing!!
    Anyway, looking forward to the wisdom of the ozAudi fanatics when I need some help, and hopefully I can offer the odd bit of help where I can.
    Cheers.

welcome, sounds like you know how to a turn spanner

What have you done about the airbag problem that's hit the B5's?

3. Default

Thanks jnrdavo. Yeah, I've always been a bit of a diy-er...why pay someone to do something you enjoy doing yourself I always say - or maybe I'm just cheap!!
    When you say the airbag problem, is that the Takata thing? I've put the cars info into that govt airbag check site and it keeps coming up saying it's not Takata, so I'm hoping it's good. If it's a different issue, then I've not heard. Please enlighten.

I thought all B5's were affected, but others on here know better than I.

Do a quick search for B5 airbag, it should come up with the right thread. Quite a few here have done extensive research..

Welcome, keep us posted on how the renewal project goes, any issues you run into and the solution could be helpful for others.