Thread: Remove Read Headrests in 8U MY18 Q3

Default Remove Read Headrests in 8U MY18 Q3

I have three boxers. I've invested in tailor made heavy duty seat covers. The covers are OK, the ties are atrociously poor. Really cheap and as cheap ties as is on the cheapest Chinese seat covers, and fitting is a nightmare, but I digress. To put the back seat covers on, I need to remove the headrests. I managed to get the front headrests off finding the magic switch inside the seat (how stupid are Audi designers /engineers, IMHO incredibly stupid, but again, I digress).

I need the back seat headrests removed. I've seen two options online. One is to get a 2mm bit of plastic and slide it in under the plastic where the headrest plugs into the seat (again stupid engineering) and the other is that on the opposite side to the actual button that allows the headrest to move up and down, there is a hard to see almost hidden switch that you press at the same time as the visible one (again, who dreams up this garbage), sorry, rant mode off.

Tried these tow options and neither works. Now that doesn't mean either is wrong, it may just be my incompetence.

Does anyone have some definitive advice as to how I might remove the headrests from the backseat of my MY18 Q3?

Don't get me wrong, love the vehicle, just hate poor, ill thought out, design decisions. Not just Audi, my Fisher and Paykel oven needs to be completely removed from the wall and the back casing removed to replace a blown element. A $50 fix that costs me $256 and a two week wait every time an element blows, ill thought out, design decisions.

Thanks......

All I can say is, rant on brother! You're going to LOOOOVE working on your car.

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6 (Unreg)

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6

Quote Originally Posted by broke90 View Post
    All I can say is, rant on brother! You're going to LOOOOVE working on your car.
    Clearly spending half a day and getting the front seat headrests off is showing through and some. I think I'm going to be outsourcing any and all work. I'd go nuts in short shrift if I had to deal with this stuff with any sort of regularity. Others who 'know' are better placed than me (if just getting the headrests off is any gauge).

We've all been there. Every time I work on the car, especially something new to me, I go "I'd love to get the guy who thought to put this thing here come and do the work, see what he thinks of his service access".

Current:
    2004 A6 C5 Sedan 3.0 V6 Quattro
    1999 A4 B5 Avant 2.4 V6 (Unreg)

Retired:
    1990 100 Sedan 2.3
    1991 90 Sedan 2.3
    1999 A4 B5 Sedan 2.4 V6
    2005 A6 4F Sedan 3.2 V6